THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LloydQ

is One Chatty Farker
Happy Tuesday, Brethren! A quick question. I have some family coming in town for a post-funeral lunch tomorrow. I am putting a couple of butts on the WSM before bed tonight, and want to have some slaw with it. The Mrs. likes mayo based sweet slaw, but with pulled pork I like more tang, especially if I am putting it on the sandwich itself. Naturally, I will make her a batch that she likes :biggrin1:, but I want to do a mustardy based batch as well. My question is, do any of you put dill pickle in your slaw?

Cock of the Walk Cole Slaw

Best I ever had. See Post #15 in the link below.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23734

"Cock of The Walk Cole Slaw (with slight adjustments)

1 lb. bag of ready mixed slaw with carrots
1/4 cup green onions chopped
1/4 cup white or vidalia onions, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
2 tsp Lawry's salt or Tony Cachere's creole seasoning
1 TBSp white vinegar
12 oz Mayonnaise

Yes! after years of high level espionage I have managed to get my hands on the recipe for the best damn cole slaw in the South.....the famous Cock of the Walk Catfish restaurants delectable, mouth watering concoction................without further blathering - From Mike Sanders in Mobile Ala
Directions:
mix all ingredients and taste....if bitter add more sugar..............refrigerate 24 hours....then pig out! Overnight is fine too.
Adjust mayonaise for consistency and taste.
Note: I have changed the original just a tad, the use of ready made cole slaw in a bag. I used 2 tsp of Tony C. this time. I used 2 tsp lawrys last time. It was good. It is good either way."

My wife and I serve a bbq for a women’s ministry once a month. It is easy for us because the menu is always pulled pork, baked beans and coleslaw. The slaw we serve is Bobby Flay’s creamy coleslaw. It is easy to make and can be eaten shortly after preparation. Has mayo and uses mustard powder. Sounds like what you are looking for. We use the food processor and slice up a large head of white cabbage, a small head of red cabbage, and a bag of carrots. We also substitute onion powder and add celery seeds. Add more salt than you think you need. We double the recipe for the sauce. It fills a heat table tray.

My wife and I serve a bbq for a women’s ministry once a month. It is easy for us because the menu is always pulled pork, baked beans and coleslaw. The slaw we serve is Bobby Flay’s creamy coleslaw. It is easy to make and can be eaten shortly after preparation. Has mayo and uses mustard powder. Sounds like what you are looking for. We use the food processor and slice up a large head of white cabbage, a small head of red cabbage, and a bag of carrots. We also substitute onion powder and add celery seeds. Add more salt than you think you need. We double the recipe for the sauce. It fills a heat table tray.

what is a Schweikgrill?

A Schwekngrill is a German grill that is like a swinging version of a Santa Maria grill that is made to cook over an open wood fire. Schwenkgrill translates to swinging grill. You cook with it by slowly swinging the meat over the fire. I came across them when I lived in Idar-Oberstein where their specialty was a huge cut of pork called Speisbraten that was cooked over an open beech wood fire. Here are a picture of one that I took on my last visit to Germany.

Schwenkgrill_zpscn8wytze.jpg~c100

Last edited:

1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 TBSp white vinegar
12 oz Mayonnaise

Yes! after years of high level espionage I have managed to get my hands on the recipe for the best damn cole slaw in the South.....the famous Cock of the Walk Catfish restaurants delectable, mouth watering concoction................without further blathering - From Mike Sanders in Mobile Ala
Directions:
mix all ingredients and taste....if bitter add more sugar..............refrigerate 24 hours....then pig out! Overnight is fine too.
Note: I have changed the original just a tad, the use of ready made cole slaw in a bag. I used 2 tsp of Tony C. this time. I used 2 tsp lawrys last time. It was good. It is good either way."

This recipe is great

I typically don't like spending time cooking sides, so I normally just whip up some Harry Soo Slap Juice for coleslaw. It's simple, very quick, highly tasty and I always have these ingredients around aside from picking up a bag of slaw. It's on the sweeter side but easy to get the sweet and sour thing going with more vinegar and bit less sugar.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/04/slap-juice-coleslaw/

To tang up a basic slaw recipe, just add Red Wine Vinegar. Keep adding til its tangy enough for you. Will kind of curdle a bit with the mayo at first, just stir it in.

I don't have measurements, I just kind of eyeball everything. But the slaw I put on pulled pork is very much like an Alabama white sauce with cabbage.

Shredded cabbage (usually a pack or two already shredded)

I salt the cabbage and make a dressing of:

Mayonnaise (I'm from SC so always Dukes :) )
Apple Cider Vinegar
Honey
Celery Seeds
Black Pepper
Grated Horseradish

For one pack of pre-grated slaw I'd guess I start with about a cup of Mayo and half a cup of vinegar. I guess I should measure what I use sometime but I grew up learning to cook everything by eye by a grandmother that had been cooking for her farm family for 40 years and could make anything by feel

This is my standby:

Mary Lee's, "I Fought the Slaw and The Slaw Won"
These are from the Jack Daniel's old time Barbecue cookbook by Vince Staten. (with an Elder Ward twist)
3 LBS. cabbage
3 ribs of celery
1 onion (yellow)
1 bell pepper
3 carrots
2 C sugar (Hawaiian when you can get it.)
Shred, chop or dice all and mix with sugar. Set cabbage mixture aside.
1/2 Cup of white vinegar
1/2 Cup of Apple Cider vinegar
1/2 C olive oil (my twist)
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp (kosher salt)
Bring all to a boil and pour over cabbage mixture and chill overnight.

--
from http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 TBSp white vinegar
12 oz Mayonnaise

Directions:
I made this tonight for dinner. I forgot the vidalia/white onion part (whoops!) but it was really good after just 3 hours in the fridge. I had used cajun seasoning, since that's what we had on hand. I'm interested to try it again tomorrow after it's had time to sit longer.

My all time fav:

1 head cabbage food processered to about the size of rice

3 carrots food processered with shredding disk - then squeeze out the juice!!

"Equal" parts of:

mayonaise
canned condensed milk (NOT sweetened)
sugar
red or white wine vinegar

½ t garlic powder
½ t onion powder
½ t celery salt
This much for starters, I use much more! like 1 t each, if its close to your taste, add a little more at a time, , , ,

Mix the vinegar with canned milk & let it curdle
Add sugar & mayo
Same as the seasonings, only add a Tbls at a time of each to get right amount for amount of cabbage

Add more vinegar for more tang
Add more milk and/or mayo for creamer slaw

Add everything to a big bowl & mix with your hands <- the easiest way

Make the day before!!

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Back