Beef Ribs ?

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing some beef ribs. I have not done these in yrs. Looking for some ideas. Thanks for the help

Beef ribs
Trim fat, salt pepper, maybe garlic
275° at 3 1/2 hours
Then check bark to spray 50/50 H2O/Cider Vinegar
At 190° (8 hoursish) wrap bp then at 200 for probe tender
Plan on 10 hour cook

Sorry, I should clarify, those were just my notes...I leave membrane to help keep them together.
If bark is set I start spraying.
I start checking at 200 for probe tender.
Of course let rest for 1/2 hour at least

I use a wrapped step after about 6 or 7 hours, then return to the pit for like you would a brisket point for burnt ends.

af6oLmR.jpg

Malcom Reed has a good how-to but he starts with some of the nicest plate ribs I've ever seen.

Don’t know the difference. I just saw some nice beef ribs at a new butcher shop. Looked like a nice rack and it was pretty thick. Don’t know how much the person behind the counter knows. He never heard of hanger steak

Beef back ribs are the ones cut off a prime rib roast. The meat is between the bones and there can be some shiners. Plate ribs are from the belly and the meat is on top of the bones. They are directly below the chuck and the rib sections. Chuck plate ribs are generally 4-bone racks, and rib plate ribs are generally 3-bone racks.

I regularly do beef plate ribs (the short ones from the chuck and the brontosaur plates) and I've found it really depends on your preference—there's a world of difference between a beef rib cooked on an offset (or a pellet grill, a kettle, indirect you name it) and on a waterless drum, Hill-Country style.

Few cuts exhibit such a huge difference in flavor. While you could compare offset beef ribs to brisket burnt ends (or "brisket on a stick"), direct-heat beef ribs are... Prepotent, for lack of a better word. You do away with the subtle, sweet smoke flavor and sapid bark, in exchange for a crunchy crust with a strong beefy, fatty flavor from the drippings vaporized on the hot coals. It's not for everybody either—my brother can barely stand a few bites off of a direct-heat beef rib, such a strong flavor it is. I personally love it but to each their own.

With beef ribs I keep it real simple, regardless of how I'm cooking them: no water pan, no spritzes, seldomly wrap them (if I'm in a hurry, that is), I don't trim the fat cap much (better bark on the offset, or stronger flavor on the drum), I don't rest them beyond the bare amount of time needed not to scorch my fingers and mouth, and I don't really pay attention to temps (250 to 325 s'all good). Rub is whatever I have at hand: kosher salt and coarse black pepper, Bearded Butcher Original or Black, mustard slather sometimes, sometimes nothing.

Beef ribs are a mean cut of meat that can take some serious heat and neglect. Cook them how you have the most fun for 6 hours or so until they probe tender, leave them on the counter to cool down a little and enjoy.

Hill-Country style on the PBC: strong and beefy

picture.php
picture.php

Smoked on the offset: brisket on a stick

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:
I was on a beef rib kick for the better part of two years. In my experience there is more variability in beef rib quality than any other common BBQ meat, brisket being a close second. When you get good beef rib meat, usually plate, there is the perfect ratio of fat to meat with even marbling/distribution. Far too many beef ribs are simply too fatty for my taste with pockets of fat.

get short ribs George. I leave the membrane on so the meat doesn't fall right off the bone. I prefer to wrap in foil. 4-6 for initial cook. about an hour wrapped and returned to finish and fix the color. just dont pull up early or they will be tough

Beef plate Ribs have been held at 180 after a small rest once they hit 205 for 8 hours at 180. Should be interesting.

I regularly do beef plate ribs (the short ones from the chuck and the brontosaur plates) and I've found it really depends on your preference—there's a world of difference between a beef rib cooked on an offset (or a pellet grill, a kettle, indirect you name it) and on a waterless drum, Hill-Country style.

Few cuts exhibit such a huge difference in flavor. While you could compare offset beef ribs to brisket burnt ends (or "brisket on a stick"), direct-heat beef ribs are... Prepotent, for lack of a better word. You do away with the subtle, sweet smoke flavor and sapid bark, in exchange for a crunchy crust with a strong beefy, fatty flavor from the drippings vaporized on the hot coals. It's not for everybody either—my brother can barely stand a few bites off of a direct-heat beef rib, such a strong flavor it is. I personally love it but to each their own.

With beef ribs I keep it real simple, regardless of how I'm cooking them: no water pan, no spritzes, seldomly wrap them (if I'm in a hurry, that is), I don't trim the fat cap much (better bark on the offset, or stronger flavor on the drum), I don't rest them beyond the bare amount of time needed not to scorch my fingers and mouth, and I don't really pay attention to temps (250 to 325 s'all good). Rub is whatever I have at hand: kosher salt and coarse black pepper, Bearded Butcher Original or Black, mustard slather sometimes, sometimes nothing.

Beef ribs are a mean cut of meat that can take some serious heat and neglect. Cook them how you have the most fun for 6 hours or so until they probe tender, leave them on the counter to cool down a little and enjoy.

Hill-Country style on the PBC: strong and beefy

picture.php
picture.php

Smoked on the offset: brisket on a stick

picture.php
picture.php

You have some awesome cooks over there in Rome! We need a Brethren bash in Rome! :hungry:

:hail::icon_smil

This cut responds really well to higher heat. I cook mine at 300 - 325. Higher heat renders the fat better, and trust me brother, there's a lot of it in there to render. I've found that higher heat cooks tend to dry the meat less, so that's also an advantage. Definitely get the meat up to ~205 before you pull them.

Cooked these in the Weber kettle with seasoned pecan. No idea the temps. Plan was to wrap at 180 but when I moved them over to the recteq 590 they were reading 200 and 205. I let them cool just a bit. Wrapped in plastic wrap and then butcher paper. Held at 180 for prob 8 hrs. It was late and I didn’t feel like eating them so I’m the bridge they went. Popped them back in the Rt590 this morning for about 3 hours. Turned out awesome!

Attachments

• 014C66E6-3B0B-414E-9AE1-33A360ABB922.jpg
    014C66E6-3B0B-414E-9AE1-33A360ABB922.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 58
  • BE770EBB-FFD5-4D55-A454-A7E31B6A759E.jpg
    BE770EBB-FFD5-4D55-A454-A7E31B6A759E.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 60
Back