why the popularity of the horizontal smoker

el luchador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
As someone who owns two verticals, one charcoal burner, and one stick burner,

and who owned a POS(pitiful offset smoker) in the past,
why are the horizontals so popular? If I look at my local craigslist, 9 of every 10 smokers for sale is a horizontal.

I know any smoker in the right hands will produce some great Q, but the verticals are so much more efficient - why aren't more people using them?

If you look at the forum Brethren are cooking on such a wide variety of cookers, some folks have one main cooker others have a dozen. It's not so much a question of any one type of cooker being better or producing "better" Que, it's a factor of what works for them and what they enjoy cooking on which may change from one cook to another.

MLcLpmIh.jpeg

Size really... not many people can smoke a whole hog in a vertical cooker. Looking at what Smitty just posted none of those cookers would be capable of doing a whole hog, and likely not even a suckling pig without some issues.

That’s a good question. I have often wondered the same because verticals have so much more capacity.

I had been doing some research on benefits-drawbacks of each and recall seeing a few comments that the verticals have more intense draft, which makes them cook bit faster than horizontals (not sure if that is benefit or drawback :grin:). I cannot speak from experience because I have only smoked on verticals but quite a few LSG vertical owners really seem to like them.

I’m thinking it’s a perception thing.

For years if it was a smoker it was a horizontal offset pipe smoker that came out of the oilfield (so the story goes.) now there is killer food coming out of a 55 gallon drum but if you just tell someon that you smoked the meat they immediately picture a horizontal offset.

I LOVE my FEC-100 vertical smoker, but I sure want to cook a whole hog one day....

People don't sell their verticals.

lol, I thought about that but I don't think that's the case. maybe it is? :-D

If you look at the forum Brethren are cooking on such a wide variety of cookers, some folks have one main cooker others have a dozen. It's not so much a question of any one type of cooker being better or producing "better" Que, it's a factor of what works for them and what they enjoy cooking on which may change from one cook to another.

correct. Im sure ANY cooker burning wood will make great Q. My buddy makes Q on a 14.5 kettle and it tastes good. But the verticals are so much more efficient that I would think they would be the more popular option.

I'll take the one on the right, thanks . :-D:clap2:

Size really... not many people can smoke a whole hog in a vertical cooker. Looking at what Smitty just posted none of those cookers would be capable of doing a whole hog, and likely not even a suckling pig without some issues.

That's a good point. are there a lot of people smoking whole hog?

That’s a good question. I have often wondered the same because verticals have so much more capacity.

I had been doing some research on benefits-drawbacks of each and recall seeing a few comments that the verticals have more intense draft, which makes them cook bit faster than horizontals (not sure if that is benefit or drawback :grin:). I cannot speak from experience because I have only smoked on verticals but quite a few LSG vertical owners really seem to like them.

My vertical compared to my old horizontal is not even funny when it comes to efficiency. I would say probably 1/4 the fuel use.
Also, When I smoke ribs at 280 for three hours it always comes out too tender for me. Im thinking of trying 2.5 hours so there may be something to what you are saying that they cook faster.

@el_luchador

I live in North Carolina and whole hog is really the pinnacle of BBQ out here. While I actually prefer doing multiple shoulders rather than a whole hog, it's a presentation cook which people really love. I wouldn't want to give up that opportunity simply to decrease the footprint of my smoker.

Vertical smokers seem like a good piece of gear but horizontal cookers work just fine as well.

vertical cookers are cheating...:boxing:
i prefer several different types vs limiting myself to just 1 type. also if you roll up with a 30x80 horizontal offset you are just cool. :heh:

seriously...it depends on what you like and what your lifestyle permits. busy with work and small kids equals set and forget vertical. laid back with all the time you need equals a horizontal offset. maybe i am crazy.

For years if it was a smoker it was a horizontal offset pipe smoker that came out of the oilfield (so the story goes.) now there is killer food coming out of a 55 gallon drum but if you just tell someon that you smoked the meat they immediately picture a horizontal offset.

:nod:

I like my smokers like my portfolio....diverse.

Missing the Webers and UDS in the pic.
e0a089198e2859c9ca57d820644be6ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

some nice gear there :thumb:

I agree you are right. And Im not going to lie- while I think they are not as efficient, a horizontal smoker just looks COOL

I LOVE my FEC-100 vertical smoker, but I sure want to cook a whole hog one day....

could you find a way to Hang the hog in the vertical? :biggrin1:

@el_luchador

I live in North Carolina and whole hog is really the pinnacle of BBQ out here. While I actually prefer doing multiple shoulders rather than a whole hog, it's a presentation cook which people really love. I wouldn't want to give up that opportunity simply to decrease the footprint of my smoker.

Vertical smokers seem like a good piece of gear but horizontal cookers work just fine as well.

I hear you. and I think its a good point.

vertical cookers are cheating...:boxing:
i prefer several different types vs limiting myself to just 1 type. also if you roll up with a 30x80 horizontal offset you are just cool. :heh:

seriously...it depends on what you like and what your lifestyle permits. busy with work and small kids equals set and forget vertical. laid back with all the time you need equals a horizontal offset. maybe i am crazy.

Agree. after using my POS, it really felt like the vertical was cheating. on my charcoal burner, with the automatic controller, it will maintain +-2 degrees for hours.

Those folks on CL who are selling their horizontal are gathering money to pay for a new and bigger horizontal, stick burning, TBS puffing, all night sitting, smoker by gawd. "More wood, please".

That was one of the reasons of going with a LSG 24x30 vertical

IMG_1440.jpg

A 40+ lb pig and you can easily fit two in there :biggrin1:

20141231_153631.jpg

It's all perception. "Grilling" has me thinking of those red squarish grills that ran for $20 at Home Depot. Now I see them for like $60-80. Unreal...

My first run at a smoker was more than a decade ago and it was definitely a COS.

38a1bbe5-a3e6-4dc7-8dd7-d5b33c49e1e4_1.86a17563b1351494628b940393d5e2e8.jpeg

Back