Maybe i dont like that thick pepper crust?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
i have found that my last couple of briskets have been way too peppery and salty. like... upset your stomach, spitting chili, bubble gut too much pepper kind of brisket. i normally do the 2.1 ratio, pepper being number 2. looking to switch things up a little. whats a good rub wether it be home made or store bought that i should consider? i like spice but i want to taste a little more beef this time. seems to me... Texas style is too much pepper for me. id rather enjoy the meat sitting by the fire pit vs responding to this thread sitting on the toilet.

When you finish, go to Sams and try Kinders The Blend or Weber’s Steak and Chop. I also suggest just trying less salt and pepper and Membersmark 36 roll 2 ply bath tissue.

Why not just sprinkle your own pepper.. garlic .. onion ... salt ,,, as much or as little as you want ... if any ...

What kind of pepper are you using? Fresh ground or not?

Really high quality pepper can be very peppery and fresh ground will also taste stronger.

Just this morning, I watched Aaron Franklin's brisket video and he uses a 50/50 mix of Kosher salt and 16 mesh black pepper. I'm thinking the 16 mesh grind is indeed important as the same mix using regular table pepper would be a lot more "peppery." He also doesn't use nearly as much rub as one would think. It's on YouTube and well worth the watch.

I've just used Montreal Seasoning for the last few years. But yeah, less is more, sometimes.

Morton's Coarse Kosher Salt
Kirkland Coarse Black Pepper
This much of it:
EylHjNoWgAEqFWk

I go with Franklin’s 50/50 kosher salt / McCormick course ground black pepper
Not overly seasoned,,,,reasonable amount of speckles
Do the same on ribs once in awhile and so far everyone likes it,,,,

Oakridge Black OPS or Montreal Steak seasoning with a little added garlic and onion powder are the 2 I like the best.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just this morning, I watched Aaron Franklin's brisket video and he uses a 50/50 mix of Kosher salt and 16 mesh black pepper. I'm thinking the 16 mesh grind is indeed important as the same mix using regular table pepper would be a lot more "peppery." He also doesn't use nearly as much rub as one would think. It's on YouTube and well worth the watch.

I go with Franklin’s 50/50 kosher salt / McCormick course ground black pepper
Not overly seasoned,,,,reasonable amount of speckles
Do the same on ribs once in awhile and so far everyone likes it,,,,

This is what I've settled on over the years as well. Tried everything I could get my hands on from rubs to injections etc. 50/50 coarse kosher salt and 16 mesh (coarse) black pepper somehow magically produces a product far greater than the simple sum of it's parts.

Also, I don't use mortar and pestle to crush black peppercorns. They flavor is too strong. Adams coarse black pepper is a good store bought example.

I tried the 2/1 pepper ratio and i found 50/50 works better for me. Like others asked are you using aged pepper, fresh would be way too strong. You could play with adding garlic, onion, paprika or other typical rub ingredients.

Getting the right amount of rub on my briskets is probably the biggest thing i'm still working on personally. I cooked one this weekend and i thought i put a pretty heavy coat of rub on it. Eating it though i realized it could have used a little more seasoning.

Other times i've over seasoned.

It might have been because we ate at several joints but i didn't feel great after sharing a Louie Mueller beef rib which they use 9/1 pepper. It tasted great eating it but next time that might be the only bbq i'd eat that day.

I'm with you. Too much coarse black pepper gives me heart burn even though I'm not using the overly strong fresh cracked BP. But being the purest I am, I don't really want to add a bunch of other stuff to my rub either. So I'm still playing around with an SPG rub to get to a ratio I'm happy with, and trying to dial in how heavy or light of a coating to use. I don't want to salty or too peppery, but I still want some bark... so not much room to play with a 3 ingredient rub lol. My next brisket I'm planning to try a medium to light coat of 2 parts kosher salt, 2 parts granulated garlic, and 1 part 16 mesh black pepper. We'll see how that turns out.

i have found that my last couple of briskets have been way too peppery and salty. like... upset your stomach, spitting chili, bubble gut too much pepper kind of brisket. i normally do the 2.1 ratio, pepper being number 2. looking to switch things up a little. whats a good rub wether it be home made or store bought that i should consider? i like spice but i want to taste a little more beef this time. seems to me... Texas style is too much pepper for me. id rather enjoy the meat sitting by the fire pit vs responding to this thread sitting on the toilet.

It's not in the Franklin Masterclass segments, but go back on YouTube and look at the series of BBQ segments he did for PBS many years ago, and he shares the "Texas Pepper" secret.

Get your 16 mesh jar of Black Pepper, dump it all out on a sheet tray or cookie tray, and let it stale on your kitchen counter for a few days. Put it back in the jar and you're ready to go!

Been using this technique for the last five years now. You get the color and texture, but no fresh black pepper burn!!! Add as much stale pepper as you want and still taste your meat!

IMG_0837 by David Miller, on Flickr

pepper = piper negrum = green/black/white, piperine-laden fruit (red are too impractical to harvest commercially)

"pink peppercorns "= couple different kinds of berries

chile = capscicum =capsaicin
szechuan peppercorns = some other berry

some people are simply more sensitive to pepper (black/white) than others, can handle chile heat but will have a sneezing fit or upset stomach. so, i guess my point is, unless you're catering to someone else, please yourself, first! green peppercorns as the youngest are the most aromatic/floral, you could try some of those, or anything labeled pink.

..black pepper was originally the cheap commercially-viable substitute for "long pepper", so if you REALLY wanna get fancy... lol

It's not in the Franklin Masterclass segments, but go back on YouTube and look at the series of BBQ segments he did for PBS many years ago, and he shares the "Texas Pepper" secret.

Get your 16 mesh jar of Black Pepper, dump it all out on a sheet tray or cookie tray, and let it stale on your kitchen counter for a few days. Put it back in the jar and you're ready to go!

Been using this technique for the last five years now. You get the color and texture, but no fresh black pepper burn!!! Add as much stale pepper as you want and still taste your meat!

IMG_0837 by David Miller, on Flickr

This is awesome advice I really appreciate it brother

Back