First snowfall...first time cooking a prime packer...first time falling asleep mid cook

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
First snow of the season forced me to come home early from a work trip. Figured id take the unexpected free time and smoke some brisket.

Just got a Costco membership and yes prime packers being available is a major selling point for me.

Heres a glorious 16 lbs prime packer, my first ever.

$2.89/ lbs. That prime sticker just gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling

We got a fair amount of snow for our first fall of the season.

Trimming

When i make bbq brisket i trim alot. Like a sculptor i remove anything that would make for great bbq. I dont want anything thats gonna burn up and be no good. Nothing gets wasted, i save the scraps for other things. Id rather use those pieces elsewhere than cook sub par eats.

First i lop off a fair portion of the toe end of the flat.

Some of its thin. I cook leave it and make chopped brisket but id rather use it for chili or burgers or whatever.

I like to round off any edges that will get too crusty and trim as much fat between the flat and point as i can get. I like to get the fat cap thinned as much as i an too, leaving not much more than 1/8th inch or so. No pics of the cap...could have taken a little more off but lost patience.

Overall id say i trim pretty aggressive. Im looking for a streamlined piece of meat.

This one shows the marbling in the flat.

I seasoned with Dizzy Pig red eye express coffee infused bbq rub (good stuff), and of coarse butcher grind pepper and salt

Those those not familiar i smoke my brisket for 4-6 hours on the offset, until its time to wrap, then pop it in a low oven overnight until tender.

I like to flip the brisket after a few hours to keep things even. Heres a mid cook pic

Now being cold outside i was running with a bit of charcoal in the firebox. i did so to give me a some more time between splits, which on the ok joe is about a half hour usually. Never done it before but it worked well enough. I was getting almost an hour between splits.

This turned out to be a problem. I was tired to begin with. The extra time between splits gave me just long enough to get comfortable. Just before midnight with maybe an hour before the wrap i drifted off.

I woke up 4 hrs later!

(Oh no the brisket.)

I went outside... the pit was cold to the touch.

(How could i do this) i normally set an alarm as a backup.

I brought the brisket inside. The thermapen read 70. It also cooked past the wrap point before the fire died. It didn't look good. I figured it ruined, at best i could reheat as leftovers..........

.........i suddenly remember hearing about Salt Lick bbq in Texas. He said their Q is like chili, its better the next day. The smoke the meat, blast chill then finish on the old school pit up front..............

.........well lets wrap this thing and see how it turns out. Maybe i stumbled upon a secret technique by accident. I considered foil or a pan thinking it would be dry due to cooking twice. I went with my gut and paper wrapped at 275 than dropped the temp as i normally would when it got close.

Lunch time time for the moment of truth. The first good sign was when i pulled it she felt right. (Did this actually work)

Looks good but its whats on the inside that counts.

Well i was surprised. This was the best cut of brisket ive worked with by far.

Heres some flat slices, they had enough fat they could have been point. By far the best flat ive ever had.

The point was delicious and rich

Every brisket cook thread has to have a limp brisket pic

All i can say is wow. Ive always heard how important quality is with brisket. I may be a believer in that. Just one time so ill need more evidence but man o man was this a nice cut. Ive never had issues with getting lower cuts tender but flats of lesser cuts are dry. This flat was just as good as the rest. For now im sold on prime when it comes to brisket.

As for my unintentionally split cook i was pleasantly surprised in the results. I would have no issue smoking a cut leaving whole than reheating to finish. Of coarse if i did it on purpose i would properly crash cool it first.

So what you're saying is there is more than one way to cook a brisket? ;)

Looks fantastic Steve, nice and moist. There's definitely more than one way to cook a fine briskie and that's proof right there. You're smart for evening out the thickness because that thin part just over cooks anyway.

I'm going to say this because I see a lot of cautious/over cautious folks here. How long do you think it was in the danger zone temp wise? I assumed people would be all over you for trying to eat it in its condition.

Now on to how I feel; it looks fantastic. I would totally rock the heck out of that. You'd have to make 2 if I was around.

Nice moves man!! I"m just waiting til my first brisket with my WSM! I'll end up falling asleep cooking on that thing!!

That looks great. My first full brisket didn't finish until 2am.

I like the idea of smoking it until ready to be wrapped, then finish in the oven. That way I can get some sleep!

Looks great, glad you didn't mess up that beautiful piece of meat.

Yup, lotta ways to get the job done.

I'm going to say this because I see a lot of cautious/over cautious folks here. How long do you think it was in the danger zone temp wise? I assumed people would be all over you for trying to eat it in its condition.

Now on to how I feel; it looks fantastic. I would totally rock the heck out of that. You'd have to make 2 if I was around.

I am in Cleveland, but the last few nights have been cold, like
in the 30s. So as long as Ninja was in detroit I think he was fine.

Heres the video i remember of salt lick

[ame]https://youtu.be/Gyw5cK3x0SM[/ame]

For a Ninja, you got some sneaky moves :wink:
Talk to ya soon.

Hopefully tomorrow evening

I would have to guess. The pit was hot at midnight, lets say it burned til one. The brisket was probably around the stall when this happened...again lets guess 160. Id figure we were around 140 sometime around 2 so that the start time (guess). At 4 we were 70 and i checked at 8 (now back in oven) at it was 160 (this is all speculation and im not even sure about any of these times/temps) so lets just assume it was over 140 by 7 ( probably 6). Thats a guestimated time of 5 hours (i bet it was less in actuality), only one past the guideline. When you take into account that the that the guideline is quite ridiculous it was not an issue with me.

i would have fed it to my Mother i was confident.

Nice moves man!! I"m just waiting til my first brisket with my WSM! I'll end up falling asleep cooking on that thing!!

Hey if ya fell asleep on the weber you'd wake up to the thing just cruisin along

That looks great. My first full brisket didn't finish until 2am.

I like the idea of smoking it until ready to be wrapped, then finish in the oven. That way I can get some sleep!

I here ya. Timing coooks takes time to learn.

Here's some info on my finishing method

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219158
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203282&highlight=Hot+fast

That looks amazing. I hope when I fall asleep tonight, there is a brisket waiting on me when I wake up.

Unfortunately i woke to a cold brisket. I woke up and thought i wasted 50 bucks

Back