Hey aussies

So.....are Hobbits doing the jobs that Kiwi's won't do?

The stuff cost more than beef so is NZ lamb the waygu of lamb?
Well, it kinda is generally regarded as the best. Personally, having lived a third of my adult life in each of Australia, New Zealand and the USA, and having tried most sources of lamb, I like the Australian stuff best. It is not as tender as the NZ lamb, but it is more flavourful. But Kiwi lamb is the real deal and that rack from the OP will be mighty fine.

PS: When I moved to NZ in the mid 80's, the normal way to buy the cheapest meat was to get a half of mutton for $10, half a hogget for $15 or half a lamb for $20. If you knew the butcher he would cut up into the different cuts for no charge. Then over a few year period we lost it all to the export market and many times I have seen our meat cheaper in the US than it is at home.

They have some prime lumber there as well.
Do you guys have trees in MI? :grin:

Heck ya, a squirrel can go from here to mackinaw without touching the ground.

My research concluded that NZ lamb is tender, garunteed young and raised on all grass giving more flavor/more gamey (depending on your perspective). Smallest lambs of major market.

American lamb is larger and more fat due to possible grain finish. Clean/lack of flavor. Most expensive here.

Aussie lambs are in between in size.

Different resources cited different levels of quality and taste of meat from each. One source even said lamb meat in Australia and New Zealand is more a byproduct of the wool industry.

Conclusion: i think i want to get a lamb to help mow my grass

Dang, Ninja you got that cheep, every time i go to Kroger,Costco,Sams, ect, the price is way over the top, now I'm trained to look away,

We broke in our new 22.5 Weber rotisserie and Menards "flat basket" with two NZ lamb racks last weekend. Seasoned them like steak and spun them for about 1.5 hours. Temp fluctuated between 300 and 400. My wife said they were the most tender we have ever done. In my opinion they were just a touch overdone but still "very good".

We broke in our new 22.5 Weber rotisserie and Menards "flat basket" with two NZ lamb racks last weekend. Seasoned them like steak and spun them for about 1.5 hours. Temp fluctuated between 300 and 400. My wife said they were the most tender we have ever done. In my opinion they were just a touch overdone but still "very good".

I am gonna have to try that with my next one.

And i definitely will be doing a rack of lamb again

Back