Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hello brethren,

Just lit the fire out back for a campfire cook on my day off. It's a nice day today with the sun shining but the snow is still on the ground with up to 18" due in tomorrow. So I thought I should scratch the itch today. Going to cook some cornbread and campfire stew in the Dutch oven.

I will post as I can. Unless it's super boring.

I used to live where I could light a fire in my backyard...sometimes. I miss that.

Look forward to more.

Update (pics)

Well folks the cornbread is done and the stew is a cookin!

Coming together: One half yellow onion, 1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 tomato, 2 carrots, 1 can pinto beans, 2 yellow potatoes. 1 can of green chilies, 1/2 pound apple wood smoked bacon, 1.5 lb eye of round browned in the bacon grease.
stew7.jpg

Cooking
stew8.jpg

Finished cornbread
stew9.jpg

Staying warm inside, but watching the fire.
stew10.jpg

All done

Well the snow has started but the stew is done! Going to have it for dinner tonight with the cornbread but after getting back from hockey. I will get some plated pics then. I did give it a taste though, and it's good! I can seem to get a couple of short videos I did to load. But those clips are on instagram. If you look up lumberjacksmokestack on instagram you can see those there. (mod's, if that's not ok please delete)

Also, there were some dry spices that went in I didn't list earlier. Those would be- granulated garlic, cumin, fresh ground black pepper, mustard powder, kosher salt and cayenne.

And now a finished pic.

campfire11.jpg

Looks great! How long did the stew pot ride the coals?
A little over 3 hours.

Sorry for the delay. Ended up playing 2 hockey games last night.
The plated pic-

campfirecook13.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Ended up playing 2 hockey games last night.
Can't ever seem to get good color on a pic with my phone indoors.

Back