Cleaning a Shirley

I have a 5 gallon bucket under the drain and catch it.

Hi All If I heat my smoker up to 300/400 and spray with a hose , how do I contain the water that will coming out of the drain? Can't let just run loose the smoker is on grass.
Thanks DanB

I use a disposable aluminum sheet pan. Also, not as much water comes out as you spray in...lots of it turns to steam and is absorbed by the grease and caked on crud...which is the point. Makes it easier to scrape out.

A 5 gallon bucket? It's not as much about soaking the entire inside of the smoker with water as it is generating steam that will make the stuck on crap easier to break free.

Bucket

Hi All I do have 5 gallon HD bucket. I thought it might not be big enough,but if most of the spray turns to steam it should work.
I'm most concerned cleaning of the grates.

Thanks DanB

Even with a garden hose running full it takes a minute to fill a 5 gallon bucket with water. You're not going to spray full stream for a full minute. It only takes 15-20 seconds to spray down the inside...and again...a lot turns to steam. I usually give it 2 good 15 second sprays...then let it steam for a minute and scrape it down....both grates and the reverse flow plate.

I cook on mine once or twice a week I elevate rear wheels so grease drains after a cook to drain grease once while. When hot take old towel wipe grids down keeps grate seasoned also once in a while I take old shopvac with brush attachment vac out dry brown creosote and ash mine works I hot soapy water exterior though

No chance of cracking the metal due to shock since putting cold water on hot metal?

Mark

We are talking about about 300 degree 1/4 inch thick steel. Not 500+ degree 1/8th inch steel.

If you go to the Lang site or search on YouTube you will see Ben Lang demonstrate this method.

Back