2nd try: Dry Aging with the SteakAger

30 Day Dry Age Start

I got a new ribeye roast to start part 2 of the experiment, the 30 day dry age. Trimmed 3.5 pounds of steaks off it to get it to fit.
ydktDpal.jpg

All I can do now is wait. And have steak for dinner tonight. :mrgreen:

Wow, look at the color of that steak, awesome.

Currently, I have to travel about 75 miles to enjoy a great dry aged steak. You just can't beat the flavor. Well worth every penny as well as the time/distance to get there. Some restaurants in Philadelphia sell "aged" steaks, but they are wet aged, not the same flavors. I have to travel North to Newark/NYC find Dry Aged at restaurants.

30 day dry age completed

I pulled the ribeye roast out of the SteakAger tonight after it's 30 day dry age and then cut it up. I forgot to take pictures until I had finished trimming.
rcAyM49l.jpg

Here are numbers for those of you that like that kind of stuff:

Whole roast weight: 16.66 lbs
Roast weight after trimming to fit in SteakAger: 13.16 lbs
Weight after 43 days in the SteakAger: 10.14 lbs
Total weight loss from dry aging: 3.02 lbs
Weight of final 7 steaks: 5.52 lbs

And the numbers that really matters:
Roast price: $144.61
Dry aged steaks cost per pound: $26.20

Do you think rotating the cut in the ager would cut down/eliminate the ice build up? That ice looks like a moisture moved by a circulating fan.

Great job Grimbo!

Do you think rotating the cut in the ager would cut down/eliminate the ice build up? That ice looks like a moisture moved by a circulating fan.

I rotated the 30 day roast so that the larger part of the roast was towards the back of the SteakAger and it had a chunk of ice on it just like the 45 day roast. The 45 day roast had the larger part towards the front of the Steakager. I think I'm going to rotate the next roast every 7 days and see if that helps with reducing the ice build up.

If my plans work out this weekend, I should have the 21 day test starting on Saturday.

21 day dry age start

In goes the next rib eye roast for 21 days:
4LY1roZl.jpg

This one started at 20 lbs, but after cutting it down to fit, it was at 13 lbs. The trimmings produced 4 steaks at 1.5" thick.

You are starting to get very close to one delicious evening of eating a bunch of steak. Can't wait to see what your thoughts are when all is said and done

My steakager failed... they sent a refurbished supposedly fixed unit. It ran for about a week and died (no cooling) … they never issued me a refund. Complete scam unfortunately for me as apparently the company has changed ownership.

14 of 21 days

Forgot to post this on Monday. 14 days in on the final rib eye.
qVWpvnql.jpg

The 21 day dry aged rib eye came out of the SteakAger tonight. I snapped pictures of the steaks before and after trimming:
ghL0sU6l.jpg

FrVmkKJl.jpg

I still need to work on getting the thickness to be consistant, but I think these are better than the first set.

Here are numbers for those of you that like that kind of stuff:

Whole roast weight: 20.52 lbs
Roast weight after trimming to fit in SteakAger: 13.55 lbs
Weight after 21 days in the SteakAger: 11.59 lbs
Total weight loss from dry aging: 1.96 lbs
Weight of final 7 steaks: 7.125 lbs

And the numbers that really matters:
Roast price: $178.11
Dry aged steaks cost per pound: $25.00

I did notice that my cost calculations are based on the whole roast instead of the trimmed preaging weight. So, using the trimmed preaging weights, this how the cost works out:

45 day: $128.55 for the trimmed roast, $21.43 per dry aged pound.
30 day: $114.23 for the trimmed roast, $20.69 per dry aged pound.
21 day: $117.61 for the trimmed roast, $16.51 per dry aged pound.

All the steaks are in the freezer and will be coming out on Thursday night for a Saturday dinner cook. My brother and mom will help me decide which length of time we prefer. I think I'm already hungry. :becky:

The results are in.

So last night I got one of each of the steaks and a non dry aged rib eye and headed over to my brother's house for the taste test. I labeled the steaks 1, 2, 3, and 4. 1 was the non dry aged, 2 was the 21 day dry aged, 3 was the 30 day dry aged, and 4 was the 43 day dry aged.
Here are some pics. On the grill:
bjT5KpYl.jpg

After the first flip:
WtXxwYel.jpg

Plated:
b0EVDDnl.jpg

And sliced:
uUGJdkOl.jpg

These were all cooked to 145 degrees since that's what my brother and Mom like and how they cook their steaks. I would have cooked them to 135 degrees if I was cooking for myself.

My brother's response was that he preferred the non dry aged steak and that he didn't notice any difference in the taste of the 4 steaks. He felt that the non dry aged steak was more tender than any of the others with the 21 day being next tender, 30 day being next in tenderness, and 43 day being least tender.

My mom also liked the non dry aged steak the most. She felt it was most tender and preferred it over all the others. She said the 21 day dry aged steak was OK, but not as tender as the non dry aged steak. She didn't like the 30 day dry aged steak at all and actually spit out the 43 day dry aged steak saying she absolutely did not like the flavor.

I didn't find a noticeable difference between the flavor in the non dry aged steak, the 21 day dry aged steak, and the 30 day dry aged steak. I tasted a hint of something different in the 43 day dry aged steak, but not enough to say exactly what that flavor was. I enjoyed all 4 steaks and agreed that the non dry aged steak was the most tender, but not by much. Part of me thinks it may have been a dryness due to the steaks being cook to a higher temperature than what I normally would do. If I had to rank them, I would have #1, #2, and #3 tied for first, and #4 last.

Since I have a lot of steaks left in the freezer, I'm going to cook them at a lower temp and keep track of what I think and see if it's any different than what I experienced last night.

Thanks for the experiment and the report! Great post, worth the read. And thanks for the result...I was afraid you were going to say it was a meatgasm and spending more money was necessary...

Thank you for the testing and the results. I was actually surprised to see your results. But then again, not surprised. Aging adds a "funk" to the meat. More age = more funk. At some point , like in your #4 steak, the funk went passed what your testing subjects thought tasted good.

When I go out to eat steak, which is pretty rare since I learned how to cook Prime steaks at home, I think the steakhouse I favor is in the 21 day aged range. They have a speel they tell you when you order, and I think that's about what they say.

I will be looking forward to some more of your taste tests. Good job. thanks for the work

First off, thank you for the patience and perseverance with your tests. It's not often that a forum member has the diligence to go through with both the financial and time commitments as you did. Cheers! :thumb:

A couple thoughts.

If the strip loin or ribeye roll isn't really good quality, don't bother dry aging. You need the best marbling you can afford. This can be achieved with higher level choice grade, but you need to really inspect the meat for quality fat content and marbling. Ideally, prime grade should be used.

My personal preference, but I would only dry age grain finished beef. While exclusive grass fed can be quite delicious, it is often at a lower fat percentage.

Quite often steak houses will dress their steaks with a lipid like good quality olive oil, melted beef tallow or compound butter. This can really boost the level of a dry aged steak while adding a more familiar mouth feel to eaters used to primarily wet aged beef. The Brethren that have experienced Peter Luger's can attest to how delicious adding some fat to party can make a steak special.

That being said, not everyone likes dry age steaks. It's a different taste and mouthfeel to what most Americans have grown used to the past half century. While I love a good quality dry age cut, I can't say that I was overly impressed the first time I had a dry aged NY Strip @ Smith & Wollensky all those years ago.

And while I don't want to be that guy... cooking a ribeye steak to 145 degrees should be a crime.

I am calculating your cost for your rib-eyes somewhere between 8 and 9 bucks a lb. I'm an RD member myself but that 8/9 is the cheapest I've seen in our store. Are they Prime or Choice? In my area around the holidays the boneless and bone-in rib-eyes in Hannaford and Price Chopper (upstate NY) get down to as low as 4.99 - 5.99 for choice and the marbling is perfect for aging. I stock up and freeze them, These experiments are excellent and appreciated but I'm sure can be expensive so be sure to stay vigil for a holiday price drop in the local stores on Cryovaced whole roasts. Make friends with the butcher too. Great Job, Great Post!!!!! If the family wants them at 145, make them a burger and save those labors of love for the 127 - 132 range using the reverse sear method.

Back