Brisket and boston butt

wes2898

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Good morning guys, i Put a Boston Butt and a brisket on the smoker at 10pm (boston) 12am brisket they are both in the stall at 145 degrees, has that happened to anyone else?

I doubt you’re actually in “the stall” if those internal temps are correct. What temp are you cooking at? I’m guessing pretty low. The smaller the temperature difference between your cook temp and internal meat temp the longer it will take for the internal temp of the meat to rise. i.e. if you’re cooking at 225* and the meat temp is 45* the time it takes to rise 1* will be much less than when the meat temp is 145*.

The “stall” is caused by moisture released from the meat cooking the surface of it and this usually occurs somewhere around 170*, IME.

I've kept the smoker around 235* its been at 145* for two hours now. it was steadily rising accounting for the slow down the higher you get up until 145*

I find that "the stall" happens at between 160 and 180, and generally around 8 hours into a 225 degree* cook with a brisket between 14 and 17 lbs. The one I finished yesterday was an 18 lb packer that I trimmed around 3 lbs off of. I put it on at 4 am, I wrapped it at 12:30 pm and pulled it to rest at 7:30 pm.

*I'm on a stick burner and the temp was in the neighborhood of (mas o menos 20 degrees), not exactly 225.

I hope you haven’t opened the door too many times in the last three hours?

Have you calibrated your smoker thermometer recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i haven't looked in the smoker since midnight (10.5 hrs ago) i have my smoker thermometer which is 10* off than the mavrick themometer in the smoker. i bumped the heat to 250 and the meat now reads 153*. hopefully it is just needing higher temp in the smoker

so I had what i thought was a stall at 145* then the actual stall was at 160* i kept the smoker really close to the target temp of 135* give or take 20* but thats to be expected. does anybody have any explanations? the brisket was a little drier than i liked but it turned out well. the boston Butt was perfect. I smoked the brisket for my neighbor so i didn't get a picture, i'll post a pic of the butt after the rest.

Crank up the heat to 275-300F at grate level, your proteins will cook appropriately. Using a "target temp" of 235, if your thermo is off by 15F, you could be cooking at a 220F grate temp. This is going to take forever and a day to cook large hunks of meat. Sounds like another victim of the 225F myth. Also try not to peek (open the cooker), let the low pressure cooking system do its thing.

IMG_2012 (2).jpg
the Boston Butt turned out so good. I'm starting to realize the 225* is causing more problems, i'm going crank the heat up. thanks guys

Back