darnit, now I have to look for a spinner for the WSM? :sad:

How do you think the roti compares with hanging?
, been considering that too. Anywho, nice job!
I've done a lot of both ways. I think both have their place. Nothing compares to the constant "Self Basting" action of the rotisserie though... I can't tell you how many times when I stop the spin of the motor is when you see and hear more of the grease dripping and when you turn it back on that stops.

It still blows me away how ribs turn out looking like they were glazed when no glaze is applied to them. Also the chance of burning is less when you rotisserie which lets you cook much hotter if you want to. An example is I like to cook over a live fire and no way I'd want to hang meat over flames but with the rotisserie it's no problem.

Last edited:
Is there anything more uniform that we might have laying around (short of getting the 007 kit) that we could use to prop up the kettle lid? I know the two are vastly different, but just wondering. I agree that there is no substitution for wood fired cooking!

Is there anything more uniform that we might have laying around (short of getting the 007 kit) that we could use to prop up the kettle lid? I know the two are vastly different, but just wondering. I agree that there is no substitution for wood fired cooking!
Now if you mean for a kettle and using a rotisserie you could maybe use a couple of short 2X4's sitting on their side to hold the lid but if you mean a drum then a cook grate needs to be above the lip a few inches... unless you're talking searing a steak or something then an inch or so down from the top is good but you would need a door of course to feed the splits.

Yea gotta agree wood rules, tonight I think i used 1 split and a partial to cook corn and burgers. lol, just can't beat it.

Wow some delicious looking bones, great job.

Keith - how far above the flames are you spinning those ribs?
Well since this cook was in the kettle they were going through them sometimes when the splits lit off (but maybe a few inches and off to the side of course)...then it settles down. When I cook directly over them in the 007 they're definitely going through the tips of the flames now and then ( but maybe 10-12" to the top of the basket).. Full racks in the 007 because I have the room.

So pretty much it's intermittent actually going through the flames, Hope that helps answer your question.

Last edited:
Well since this cook was in the kettle they were going through them sometimes when the splits lit off (but maybe a few inches and off to the side of course)...then it settles down. When I cook directly over them in the 007 they're definitely going through the tips of the flames now and then ( but maybe 10-12" to the top of the basket).. Full racks in the 007 because I have the room.

So pretty much it's intermittent actually going through the flames, Hope that helps answer your question.

That'll do it, thanks!

Back