Pelican or yeti....

I have a Yeti, RTIC and Grizzly. I think they all do the job, RTIC is the best value though.

I have Yeti and RTIC. For softcoolers I think Yeti is nicer but for hard coolers they are pretty much the same. For the money I would never buy a Yeti again. The RTIC are just as nice and hold more. The pulling out of supporting NRA was also a bummer for Yeti so RTIC gets my money from now on.

Best value for the $$$. $97 at Wal-Mart

f6389978-1541-4881-a238-9219a2618048_2.35877c176c7d00ab5880fe8264cc4df1.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-55-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey-90820/850043843

Spending the equivalent of a car payment on a cooler- when did that become a thing? My granddad would give me a Gibbs slap to the back of the head if I ever thought of doing such. Cheapo styrofoam or Coleman cooler blows out the back of a pickup, I don't cry. Someone steals it, I don't consider violence.

But maybe I'm "underthinking" it.

Spending the equivalent of a car payment on a cooler- when did that become a thing? My granddad would give me a Gibbs slap to the back of the head if I ever thought of doing such. Cheapo styrofoam or Coleman cooler blows out the back of a pickup, I don't cry. Someone steals it, I don't consider violence.

Hence my vote for RTIC. Right now a 65 is $190 with their sale. For something that will last I don’t mind spending that. Double that for less from yeti, now that’s a different story.

I got tired of lugging my 45 qt Yeti at the Texas Bashes. Gave to my daughter. I now have a 30 something dollar deep Coleman on wheels. Still have and use my Yeti Roadie. The Yeti stuff is great but they sure could use some wheels. Plus, unless you are going to be gone for days without the ability to get more ice, they are just not necessary. I know they are a status thing but as you get older, status kind if goes way down on importance.

I still have a big hard sided cooler, but have found that I LOVE my soft sided coolers MUCH more. I have a few Polar Bear H2O 48 can models that I won't be without. I dig the closed cell insulation and the water resistant shell for "Oh crap it's raining" situations. Light, easy to pack into the car and put away. I haven't used the big boy in a long time.

It all depends on needs, and what car you are paying for :oops: I bought a yeti hopper, but that was less than my car note. I use the heck out of it, and it does a fantastic job. Though, the design is crap. I'm always scraping my wrist to get in there-but I can load it full at my house, drive 8 hours, and still have cold stuffs when I get to the hotel.

I've bought suitcases that cost more than a month of my car, and I curse them every time I use them (weekly) and like the cooler more. Now that I bourbonly think about that, should I use a cooler as a suitcase?

Last edited:
Have a Pelican. Can’t remember the size 35?? I’ll look. Very nice. Heavy empty, not budging when full. Last couple years I have carried an RTIC soft and a Sam’s 30$ special. Both 20qt. I think. I stack them. If I had a do over, I would’ve skipped the Pelican. Think I paid 187$ free shipping via Amazon. I’ve never seen them that cheap again. May be off a few on Pelican price- not much though.

I have some Yeti products, all gifts. No coolers though.

Last edited:
I’m going to need one that will act as a coffin for a fairly large pig.

I'm in the camp of not paying that much for a cooler. If I was spending a week in a remote location and desperately needed the extra day or 2 of ice retention and bear proofing, then I might. I've got a 8 year old Igloo Max 50qt, and a newer Coleman xtreme 120 qt. Both of those together cost half of a Smaller Yeti. Get some aftermarket stainless latches for the Coleman/Igloo and you'll be good to go.

I'm in the camp of not paying that much for a cooler. If I was spending a week in a remote location and desperately needed the extra day or 2 of ice retention and bear proofing, then I might. I've got a 8 year old Igloo Max 50qt, and a newer Coleman xtreme 120 qt. Both of those together cost half of a Smaller Yeti. Get some aftermarket stainless latches for the Coleman/Igloo and you'll be good to go.

That's how I feel, too. We use our coolers for competitions and rarely need to keep them chilled for more than two days, maybe three for a double header. I can get 22 lbs of ice for $2 at a local grocery store, so it's hard to justify spending an extra $200 -$300 for a cooler.

Now, if any of the recommended cooler manufacturers are reading this and want to sponsor us and provide coolers, just send me a PM! :becky:

Back