18" WSM Water Pan

DBH

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Brother in-law has an old 18" WSM that the water pan was toast for some reason. They ordered a new one from Weber and tossed the original. The new pan is a few inches deeper (guess that could be a plus) and almost no lip around the rim. The concern is during a long cook, the smoke chamber cannot be removed to add a new bunch of coals without fear of the pan dropping off the brackets. Also, the water bowl extends into the charcoal basket somewhat.

Has Weber changed this pan? If yes, does anyone have a source where we could get an old style pan?

I bought a 14" pizza pan for mine. Obviously, I don't use it for water.

Yes, Weber changed the water pan in the WSM about the time they went with the wider legs and heat shield. The original WSM water pan was a lid from a Smokey Joe and the new water pan is the bowl from a Smokey Joe.
I never use water in my WSMs as it takes a lot of energy to get and keep that water hot. My water pans are all the shallow type. I'll put a couple of crushed aluminum cans or foil balls in the pan and cover that with a sheet of heavy duty foil. Catches the fat drippings and provides a bit of an air gap so the fat doesn't burn.
If you can find one on-line, the Brinkman CHARCOAL pan is a suitable replacement for the WSM water pan.

Last edited:
I wrapped a flower pot saucer in foil and dropped in my water bowl about a decade ago. I do a layer of foil on top of for each smoke, though.

I would like the shallower pan, I would think.

Yes, Weber changed the water pan in the WSM about the time they went with the wider legs and heat shield. The original WSM water pan was a lid from a Smokey Joe and the new water pan is the bowl from a Smokey Joe.
I never use water in my WSMs as it takes a lot of energy to get and keep that water hot. My water pans are all the shallow type. I'll put a couple of crushed aluminum cans or foil balls in the pan and cover that with a sheet of heavy duty foil. Catches the fat drippings and provides a bit of an air gap so the fat doesn't burn.
If you can find one on-line, the Brinkman CHARCOAL pan is a suitable replacement for the WSM water pan.

Did they change the brackets the water pan sits on? Barely fits the old mounts.

Never mind! lol..... Shows you how long it has been sense I looked at a 18" WSM. I don't much like it, but I found my answers. Thanks to those that responded.

Back