Looking for Opinions/Reviews from Meater Owners

SeenRed

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I’ve been considering purchasing a Meater Plus Bluetooth meat thermometer. For those of you who own or have used one, what is your opinion/review?

I really like the idea of a single, totally wireless probe that measures both internal meat temps and ambient cooker temps, without futzing with multiple probes and stringing multiple cables out of my cooker.

If you own or use one, what are your thoughts? How do you think it performs overall compared to other meat thermometers you’ve used? How user friendly is the app? Strengths and weaknesses? Would you buy it again, or steer clear and find something else?

TIA,

Red

I rarely use it. Don’t get me wrong, it works great as a thermometer. The idea of using ambient temperature to estimate remaining cooking time is kinda gimmicky as it’s not too accurate. Probe is really think and needs to be inserted pretty far. I usually find myself grabbing my FireBoard.

Meater

I have owned the Meater Block since first production. When it is right it is great. I had more bad runs than good . The base operates on four double A batteries. tthese batteries are good for 50 hours. That's usually in the middle of the third brisket cook at 3 AM. The block must be very near the cooker or it loses connection. TThe block operates through the I phone, drains phone battery before cook is finished.
I still own the Meater but have been using a Thermoworks SMOKE 4x for last 6 months, much easier to cook overnighters with Thermoworks.

I have the Meater block and bought it specifically to use with my rotisserie. That´s when I use it OR for some open fire cooks or cooks where I don´t want wires to get in the way. In the end I prefer my Fireboard OR just a simple Thermapen. The Block works fine for me, I always power it from a power bank. The cooking time calculation isn´t always correct but that´s more because of how I´m using it. When I used it in my kettle, it was pretty accurate though.

I have the block and it works fine. The cooking algorithms are pretty good. Sometimes a probe will lose connection with the block, but ost times it works well. I also have a ThermoWorks smoke but I use my thermapen more than anything these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the Meater +

The probe goes in to meat in my BGE.
The base is on the side of the fridge (about 25 feet apart)
The base works as a bluetooth extender.
I use an old iPad to connect the bluetooth.
If I need to, I can then use my phone to connect to WIFI via the iPad.

I've had great luck. Just ignore the "time remaining".
I do like that it tells you to pull from cooker a couple of degrees shy of the target as it is going to continue to rise during the rest.

I have a meater block and several thermoworks products (3x MK4's, a smoke with the wifi add-on, and a 4-channel signals). Honestly, the mk4's gets used more than anything, which is why I keep one with my stove stuff, my grilling stuff, and my smoker stuff. I actually like the meater software better than the thermoworks on my phone when monitoring the cook remotely over wifi (less connection losses imo), so I use it the most. I also love not having wires coming out of my smoker. However, the probes are much harder to clean after a cook (though my standards may be high for some), especially if using the metal numbered clips that tell you which probe it is at a glance. Another gripe with the meater is the probe thickness - leaves a noticeable probe hole after the cook, whereas the thermoworks probes do not. One last gripe is the pit temp sensor on the outside of the probe... Despite my meticulous cleaning, I find that its response to oven temp to be slow. It typically under reports my pit temp for about an hour by 10+ degrees, and then slowly asmytotes to the correct temp. Despite my complaints listed, if I found another one on sale, I would buy another, because I'm planning on upgrading my pellet smoke to a big offset in the next year and want to be able to track many different pieces at once. I actually often use all 4 meater block probes and a few thermoworks probes (the signals - the wifi connection on the smoke is more painful than its worth) together on some larger cooks already.

Back