Rib Membrane

H

Hugh Jorgan

Forgive me if this has been talked to death, but I can't search 'cause I haven't subscribed yet.

Does anyone else leave the membrane on the ribs?

Leave it on, because before this week I just plain didn't know any better. I'll be removing it from two racks this weekend, just to see

Dave

Depends on how lazy I am. Don't really make much difference if'n I do or don't. Ribs taste the same no matter.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

For people that cook to fall off the bone tender, the membrain can help hold the rack together long enough to glaze on high heat. Otherwise if you have ever seen the guys cutting the ribs at Rendevue on BBQ Paradise, the membrane is pretty nasty looking. Kinda like eating a piece of candy with the wrapper on. Just my opinion.

Dan

I leave mine on, and I don't boil them first, I do them low and sloe at around 230, and they will fall off the bone, I do rub them first, with garlic salt, and some rub from NC, that a friend gave me, no label. and mmmHmmm they just fall right off the bone.

I don't remove the membrane because anyone that does is stoopid. And I am not stoopid. Plus 15000 years ago you think they did? My people have been eating all their lives.

I would like to congratulate Hugh on posting a compelling thread while not inciting riots. Now I can get back to my rightful place and the inciter of riots.

Seriously, I don't because doing it to 100 racks is a pain and if I HAD to like at a competition I do hot and fast sinew down the damn thing nearly falls off anyway. I don't usually glaze. And my ribs have a bite to them but will pull (NO PEEL) off the bone with some work.

MY ribs benefit from leaving the skin on because of my rub and my process. I do not necessarily think everyone should follow this though and if your competing you better take it off.

Remove. Definitely improves the experience of eating the ribs, even if the taste issue is under debate. Personally, I think it improves taste by allowing rub to penetrate better. It is super-easy to remove it, too, if the ribs are right out of the fridge. Cool ribs are easier to do, I think. A paper towel helps a lot more than you think it would!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fq...8EF900B4C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9

It is true cavemen used to eat the membrane. People used to eat decayed meat they found on dead animals, too, which one theory says is why they started using fire to cook it, because they learned that with fire, they did not get sick from the rotten meat. Does that mean we should all be scouting for roadkill to cook? No.

Back