Wagyu brisket vs Prime

CentralOhioBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
And I thought $3.99/lb was pricey. Some of the teams I'm going up against this weekend are using $10.99/lb Wagyu briskets. $200 for a brisket is pretty ridic.

Having never eaten/cooked wagyu, does anyone know how big an advantage this is for the cooks?

Sure, any mistake you make will be a lot more costly a mistake cash wise, but assuming everyone has a solid cook, am I handicapped using Prime from Costco? I mean look at this wagyu shot...

Last edited:
It is of no benefit if it is not cooked perfectly, I can tell you that much

:clap:

Been there, done that.

That being said, I could tell a difference in flavor between the two, the two times I've cooked a prime and wagyu side by side...all else being equal.

I've turned out some great prime briskets that I wouldn't change a thing about, and would've felt fine turning those in....if only I could've repeated that performance at the competition. :caked:

But yeah, wagyu brisket is pretty ridiculous IMO...especially since so much gets trimmed prior to cooking and thrown away after cooking. But, there's usually a fraction of a point separating 1st and 2nd place so, every little bit helps I guess.

In the past 6 mos. or so I've cooked 3 "Wagyu" (non-SRF). They were all very good, however 1 stood out with a very rich taste. I though it was good but quite different from a good prime. It may have threw off the local judges down here in Tx.. and it didn't place well. It was cooked to a very nice tenderness appropriate for IBCA too. So I'm on the fence on whether I'll cook another one for a Tx. competition.

I would recommend cooking prime until you get consistent. You should be able to get top 10 with prime if cooked well. Once you master prime, or you feel its holding you back from placing higher switch to wagyu. I will say I wasn't impressed with my SRF Black I got, how ever it cooked more similar to a prime. I have had non SRF wagyu that seemed to be much more tender. But it might have been more fair to grade it against an SRF Gold. I can tell a difference vs prime side by side for sure.

IMO stick with prime until you are hitting top 10s consistently.

And if you're hitting top 10s or top 5s you're in line for a GC anyway. People worry too much about getting a 1st or 2nd when getting a top 10 in each category puts you in the race for a GC at alot of contests.

Costco primes are the best value in brisket IMO

IMO stick with prime until you are hitting top 10s consistently.

And if you're hitting top 10s or top 5s you're in line for a GC anyway. People worry too much about getting a 1st or 2nd when getting a top 10 in each category puts you in the race for a GC at alot of contests.

Costco primes are the best value in brisket IMO

Dead on. Not that we've won a ton, but we heeded similar advice early on. Our first 2 GC's had a 6th and 3rd in brisket and that was off of Choice. So not even prime. The end of the season we switch to Wagyu.......not many GC's since then, but even better brisket scores lol :becky:.

Didn't have access to Costco primes, but would have bought them then if I did.

Are you going to be cooking Nelsonville this weekend? If so, stop on over to Tire Smoke BBQ and we'll talk. We started the season with Costco prime and were starting to hit consistently, moved up to Waigu for the end of the season and it has done well for us. The marbling and the meat grain size give it a more tender mouth feel for the judges and it naturally has a more velvety fat.

That being said, you can easily get a 1st with a prime and a DAL with a waigu. All depends on how you cook it.

Right, but $200 is quite a bit to spend on a brisket. Even if it's $150, that's the price of all my meats for the comp. It's an expensive hobby to begin with.

Yep. I spend more on briskets in a year than I spend on my truck and my wife’s car combined.

Are you going to be cooking Nelsonville this weekend? If so, stop on over to Tire Smoke BBQ and we'll talk. We started the season with Costco prime and were starting to hit consistently, moved up to Waigu for the end of the season and it has done well for us. The marbling and the meat grain size give it a more tender mouth feel for the judges and it naturally has a more velvety fat.

That being said, you can easily get a 1st with a prime and a DAL with a waigu. All depends on how you cook it.

I'll see you there Tire Smoke, looking forward to it.

Yep. I spend more on briskets in a year than I spend on my truck and my wife’s car combined.

And btw, that being the case, I hope you have an llc and are deducting everything as business expense. Meat, charcoal, gas, trailer payment, truck payment, trailer storage, everything.

I am all for buying the best that makes sense for you. We cook SRF Golds. While the prices are insane, our results have been pretty stellar.

FYC BBQ Dillard Bluegrass & BBQ Festival 8 120
FYC BBQ Pigs & Peaches BBQ Festival 4 175
FYC BBQ Rock'n Ribville 1 250
FYC BBQ The Real Squeal BBQ & Music Festival 2 225

Not listed on here is a tied for first at Sam's Marietta (lost the tie breaker) and a 2nd at Cornelia. Throw out the Royal, and our crazy expensive briskets have made us money.

I have gotten Brisket wins with Walmart select packers but feel better and have scored just as well with Prime. Wagyu was good to cook but it see no difference in the cash we win...ony the cash we laid out. Regardless of the meat "quality", it has to be cooked perfectly. If ANYONE wants to convince me they can CONSISTENTLY tell the difference between a Wagyu or Prime cooked the same way.....they are either sponsored or a Clinton voter.

Yay, politics!

Seriously, though. This is first year we cooked wagyu. We started the year with primes. 2 comps ago, we thought our flat was too thin on our SRF, so on the way to the comp we bought a costco prime to cook as well - just in case. We cooked them the same way, on the same can even, and there was only one guy that knew which was which. There was a huge difference. Not even close. The prime was good. Last year, we would have been happy to turn it in. But no where near as good as the SRF.

I believe that part of it may be the hot and fast cook that we get off of our gateway. The extra marbling probably allows it to deal with the higher heats better. That's not scientific, just my guess.

Back