I've been using the ThermoPop. It is my first thermometer and it is still going strong.

I'm not sure why being a couple seconds faster or maybe +/- 5 degrees more accurate is worth $75 more.

I'm just a lazy PBC user that doesn't even run probes and just goes by look, time and then the Pop reading.

I tested mine and found it was off so I called them and they told me it could not be calibrated. I asked about a replacement and was told +/- 5 degrees was close enough.

While I do not disagree, +/- 5 is close enough - I believed $100 was supposed to buy a fast and accurate device.

Vince, I just received my Thermapen back from service. In the package was a Service Record showing test results at 32 and 212 degrees F and the instrument indication was the same. There was an *:

"The Thermapen has a tolerance of +/- 0.7 degrees F. Within that range the unit is operating normally and no adjustment is needed.

This Thermapen has been checked against reference instruments that are traceable to NIST.
"

Not saying they didn't tell you differently but this is the documentation I received.

Love my PBC too!!

Bill

At the risk of being branded a heretic, my personal opinion on the Thermapen is that it is an overpriced under performer.

I tested mine and found it was off so I called them and they told me it could not be calibrated. I asked about a replacement and was told +/- 5 degrees was close enough.

While I do not disagree, +/- 5 is close enough - I believed $100 was supposed to buy a fast and accurate device.

I researched a little and the $22 "CDN ProAccurate Quick Read Thermometer" was fast, accurate, feature rich and could be calibrated. I have given them as gifts and no one has been disappointed.

I think you should call them back. Sounds like you had a new person. They can be calibrated and they are very proud of their +/- .7 degree accuracy.

I think you should call them back. Sounds like you had a new person.

My daughter in law and her father are die-hard Thermapen groupies. It lives with her now.

If I have to chase a company, dog them to get it right, I am disinclined to do so; I will go to the mat on some issues, but an over priced thermometer is not one of them.

They say you get what you pay for, which is true, even if you don't realize you are just buying the hype. The company marketing crew created a brand-buzz mystique; smitten, starry eyed, I naively bit the hook and my education cost me $100.

I posted this dissenting view in case anyone is searching the forums for recommendations or critique.

Reminds me of one of the Stone's songs:
When I'm watching my TV
And a man comes on and tells me
How white my shirts can be
Well he can't be a man cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me
I can't get no satisfaction​

If you love your pen, I have no quibbles with your choice. My $22 units are perfect.
I got mo satisfaction. Hey, hey, hey, that's what I say. :)

Made NY strips tonight, oh my God this is only like the third time I've grilled on the PBC but the steak turn out perfect m.imgur.com/a/tkCpv8P

Last edited:
Apologies for the multiple posts but I really want to post this picture, hopefully a mod can delete the other posts I can't figure out how to if I can NY strips grilled

Dl4hJGQl.jpg

So I installed lava gasket on the lid of my PBC over the weekend and it made a huge difference I my temps!
Once it settled in it ran about 260 or so which was much better than the inconsistent 300 to 400 and having to wrap or unwrap foil around the rebar holes trying to keep the temps from soaring. I must have a warped lid but it was hard to tell. Anyway it worked for me! I took my pork butt off after 10 hours and still the PBC was still maintaining temps around 260 without adding charcoal.

Apologies for the multiple posts but I really want to post this picture, hopefully a mod can delete the other posts I can't figure out how to if I can NY strips grilled

Dl4hJGQl.jpg

You got that sear from the standard grill height and a rip roaring fire?

You got that sear from the standard grill height and a rip roaring fire?

Yup! I lit a full PBC charcoal chimney let it go for 20 minutes, dumped it and added another full chimney. Then I let that go for 20 minutes with the lid on but offset after that I threw in some big wood chunks and started grilling. This was the 2nd or 3rd time grilling on my PBC but I think first time following their instructions to set it for grilling. I love it I get mcuh better results than when I use my in-laws kettle at their camp. Not knocking the kettle but I think the PBC is just so perfect for more novice cooks

Yup! I lit a full PBC charcoal chimney let it go for 20 minutes, dumped it and added another full chimney. Then I let that go for 20 minutes with the lid on but offset after that I threw in some big wood chunks and started grilling. This was the 2nd or 3rd time grilling on my PBC but I think first time following their instructions to set it for grilling. I love it I get mcuh better results than when I use my in-laws kettle at their camp. Not knocking the kettle but I think the PBC is just so perfect for more novice cooks

One unfortunate side effect of too much heat in the PBC is your charcoal basket grates will start to sag or bend. If you use the ash pan the sagging can cause air flow issues keeping your temps down. You can carefully bend your basket grates back a couple of times before they break and then you need another basket. (I know this from experience!).

I also tried moving the Charcoal basket up closer to the grate for grilling and ended up discoloring the Pit Barrel emblem on the outside.

Now I just use my grills for grilling and my PBC for smoking.

Not to hijack the thread...but I have an original PBC. Love it...but three times I have had pork ribs fall in to the charcoal basket. Not on a long cook, had it happen Mother's Day at 2 hours in. Talked to PBC and they say monitor the temps, seem to think over cooking. Not so. Perhaps using less than a full charcoal basket. Also considering cutting rib racks in half before hanging. Thanks, all.

Not to hijack the thread...but I have an original PBC. Love it...but three times I have had pork ribs fall in to the charcoal basket. Not on a long cook, had it happen Mother's Day at 2 hours in. Talked to PBC and they say monitor the temps, seem to think over cooking. Not so. Perhaps using less than a full charcoal basket. Also considering cutting rib racks in half before hanging. Thanks, all.

That's pretty wild that they would fall off after only two hours unless you are hooking them incorrectly, i.e. only one bone down or something. Doubt you are doing that since the ribs would probably be sitting in the charcoal at that length.

I've had them fall a few times but it was always from overcooking. I know a brisket is "stronger", but that's crazy that you can hang a 15#+ brisket with no problem but a rack of ribs is falling after only two hours.

Thinking of building 1 and plan on shelfs,plan on making a chute to add charcoal or a lump of wood, also a water pan than can be used if wanted or needed , still in the planning stage

PBC questions
i've had my pbc for about 3 years but it seems to me that my cooking times are longer than many people's. last week i did a rack of baby backs for 3.5 hours and 1/2 a chicken for 3.25 hours. they were both excellent but does this seem long to you? i have my vent opened much larger than what's recommended and i have resorted to using lighter fluid to get the briquettes going. i have noticed that coals by the vent burn faster than those on the other side which seem to burn sluggishly. any suggestions? longer startup time for the coals before putting lid on? advice on position of vent in relation to wind direction?

What are you using for charcoal? I start mine in a weber chimney and then dump on top of the unlit stuff in the basket. I use lump but sort out the bigger stuff so I have a consistent medium size. I'm not that impressed with the basket used in them either, it needs to have some kind of legs to get air flow under it.

matchlight and no matches? that's harsh! guess i need to start commenting on every picture posted here!

i'm using kingsford

i used a chimney for the first few cooks but didn't like aiming at the basket from the top of the pbc and didn't like starting the coals outside of the pbc and lifting it in so i switched to the lighter fluid method as described on noah's website. i don't think it matters how you light ur coals as long as they are sufficiently started before you put the cover on. i prefer using a rutland fire starter square when using my weber but the fire is too localized for the pbc as it takes a longer time to spread. i like to have the coals ALL going when i use the grill or the smoker.

Back