Royal oak :mad:

EDDOC

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Just did my first Kamado cook and first charcoal cook :mrgreen:
Food Was delicious.

I bought the royal oak lump charcoal from Home Depot, and only found small broken up pieces very few .... lumps ��

Is this usual or did I just get a bad bag? What are alternativesThat are generally easily available? I’m in south Florida. Thanks

The general consensus that I've seen on this forum is that bags full of small, broken pieces are caused by rough handling at the warehouse and the store. So it can happen with any brand. If possible, buy charcoal that is still on the shipping pallet, and pick a bag from the middle of the pallet.

I have found that smaller bags of lump contain fewer large pieces. I have started buying 34 pound bags of Frontier or 30 pound bags of Western charcoal. They always have 8-10 pieces that are essentially small logs, great for the charcoal basket.

The general consensus that I've seen on this forum is that bags full of small, broken pieces are caused by rough handling at the warehouse and the store. So it can happen with any brand. If possible, buy charcoal that is still on the shipping pallet, and pick a bag from the middle of the pallet.

While true, Royal Oak is consistently like this for me no matter where I buy it from. Also, every bag I’ve gotten in the past year (and I do mean every) has objects in it that don’t belong in charcoal. I had a 1.5lb rock last time, other times has been unburnt wood or plastic bits etc. I won’t buy their stuff anymore. B&B is consistently good for me, even from the same stores that have smashed up Royal Oak.

I've had good luck w/ RO, and am currently using a bag of their "XL", which contains what I expect in a bag of "regular" lump- various, usable sizes with very little "falls through the chimney" junk.

FWIW, the bags w/ the biggest chunks I've seen have been the Western 30#ers. Some have been loaded w/ softball-size honkers.

I have a bag of rock wood that I was very disappointed in. I’m used to small pieces at the bottom of the bag but this whole bag was small pieces. Nothing over 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. I ordered 3 bags that came in one box and the box was beat to death so I assume the shippers damaged it. Haven’t opened the other two bags yet but I was really disappointed in the first bag.

I've had good luck with RO, best bang for the buck. Bought some Western a while back at a Wally World end of season closeout, some HUGE pieces in there. Just ran across a bag of KJ Big Block in the garage.

I think sometimes it's a roll of the dice what's in the bag. Bought a big bag of Timber Lump a year or two ago. Bunch of the local comp teams love the stuff. My bag was nothing but small pieces. Haven't bought anymore of it.

My favorite lump to this day came in a box, I think it was Char Broil, and Lowe’s carries it for a while. Aside from it seeming like it was good quality with no weird foreign objects in it, I think the box really helped keep it from getting broken down like bagged charcoal. They stopped carrying it about a year ago and I haven’t seen it since.

While true, Royal Oak is consistently like this for me no matter where I buy it from. Also, every bag I’ve gotten in the past year (and I do mean every) has objects in it that don’t belong in charcoal. I had a 1.5lb rock last time, other times has been unburnt wood or plastic bits etc. I won’t buy their stuff anymore. B&B is consistently good for me, even from the same stores that have smashed up Royal Oak.

Yeah, it's been a while since I've used Royal Oak, but I remember that it always had lots of rocks in it. I always found a few in the charcoal basket after each use.

It was the roofing shingle in RO that ended it for me. Wow, did that ever stink up the egg.

It was the roofing shingle in RO that ended it for me. Wow, did that ever stink up the egg.

So what's the deal w RO?

I stopped using it due to the consistent foreign bodies in the mix

Concrete, rocks, etc, in every bag

I use other brands and no problem like the mix from RO

So what is the process at RO that permits so much non combustible debris?

Like others have said, I have stopped using Royal Oak Lump because of the amount of foreign objects in it. I picked up a few bags of B&B from Ace and am really happy with it. It's denser which I assume helps it not break into to many smaller pieces. Seem to get longer burn times out of it as well.

RO lump is the easiest and cheapest lump near me, I use it, I have found some debris but not enough to matter

RO lump is the easiest and cheapest lump near me, I use it, I have found some debris but not enough to matter

Same. I've burned a lot of RO. I've found some junk here and there but nothing to worry about in my opinion. I'll continue to use it.

Back