suggestion on cutting board

1Gradymaci

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
looking at a 24x24 what's your go to cutting board/block..Thanks

I really like my Boos blocks.

I ended up traveling by their factory on a work trip, and swung in to look. Picked up a few 2nds that were nearly perfect, had my logo engraved in one, use a couple for staging photos, and have a NSF board of theirs that I use for all my real deal cooking. I really like the heft of it. Previously I've had decent boards, but this is nice and thick and I feel like it's much less likely to warp. I've hard places like HomeGoods will often have them on extreme discount.

I also have some plastic boards that I use for raw meat/poultry, etc, since they can go in the dishwasher.

We have several. The nice wood ones get used less and our work horse are the 12 x 18. We have a few 18 x 24 for bigger cuts and some smaller that get used for onions, cheese, ETC. Key for me is to have a border groove to prevent juices from running off the board.

For travel, I take the plastic versions

While I think I'd like a big heavy butchers block, handling the weight and storing the thing would be an issue so I have a small pile of the Epicurean paper composite boards. They're nice and light and they're dishwasherable. Easy to maintain with mineral oil.

Plastic boards for raw meat and veggies.

Thick wood cutting board with deep juice groove for slicing/cutting cooked meat.

Beware of boards made without a juice groove, those are almost useless, and for some reason are prevalent on bbq social media channels (I assume because they give them away to influencers)

22" x 12" x 2" Works great for laying out 4 slices of bread for making 2 sandwiches and still have room left for cutting up onions, peppers, cheese, etc.

Leave it out on the counter, used twice a day. It's heavy.

Hit it with mineral oil when it starts looking pale which is not very often. About twice a year.

OP if your looking at 24 x 24, that's a big board to be taking out and putting away all the time if your not going to leave it out.

Guess it depends on whether it's your everyday board or just for big items occasionally.

Edit: The 24 x 24 also won't fit in a standard kitchen sink to wash off, not even at an angle. My 12 x 22 fits at an angle so the water runs off nicely.

Last edited:
:wacko:
22" x 12" x 2" Works great for laying out 4 slices of bread for making 2 sandwiches and still have room left for cutting up onions, peppers, cheese, etc.

Leave it out on the counter, used twice a day. It's heavy.

Hit it with mineral oil when it starts looking pale which is not very often. About twice a year.

OP if your looking at 24 x 24, that's a big board to be taking out and putting away all the time if your not going to leave it out.

Guess it depends on whether it's your everyday board or just for big items occasionally.

Edit: The 24 x 24 also won't fit in a standard kitchen sink to wash off, not even at an angle. My 12 x 22 fits at an angle so the water runs off nicely.

I have plenty of space and outside deep sinks..
That is not a issue..

I’ve got a 24x24x3 end grain maple butcher block that I love. Make sure that you have a storage place in mind if you get/make one that big. I clean it outside with the water hose.

Don't get anything too pretty. Got this as a gift 5-6 years ago. Oil it occasionally but still never laid a knife to it. Been thinking of hanging it on the wall like a painting.

Depends on what you need, looks for display, or practical hard work / use.

I prefer the High Density PolyEthylene (HDPE) boards. They come in various sizes, thicknesses, colors, and are very portable. They are dense and resist cut marks and scratches, yet they are very simple and easy to wash / clean. Most of them are NSF rated, so that would be a bonus.

BBQ cutting Boards

I make cutting boards of all types, including BBQ boards. from 12 x 18 x1 1/2 to 24 x 18 x 2 made from Ozark hardwoods, mainly Northern Select Maple, but also in Cherry and Walnut. website at Hummingbirdciw.com but special prices for the members here. Just remember, the bigger and heavier the board the more the shipping cost, unless you live around Bella Vista Arkansas!

@wickerdave: Just perused your site. Beautiful work! Will be chatting with the CFO (the wife) about an order!

Bruce

Back