Rec Tec or MB GF

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So I had researched pellet grills and settled on the Rec Tec 590. I borrowed my buddy's to cook on for a weekend because I was skeptical about the smoke (coming from a WSM I have mentioned that on here before). Friday night I cooked burgers and they were phenomenal! As smoky as any I have ever cooked on my WSM. On Saturday I cooked a stuffed (colby jack cheese) meatloaf. Cooked on 200 for an hour 115 (IT was 140) and finished in an oven. Meatloaf was excellent tasted great...but no smoke flavor. Then on Memorial day I cooked 2 racks of spares trimmed to St. Louis style. Extreme Smoke for 30 min and then cooked at 200 for 3 1/2 more hours. Wrapped for the last hour to make more tender (ribs were sauced). Ribs were excellent and tender....but I didn't get no smoke flavor. Neither did my brother and sister in law, and they have only ate off my smoker maybe 4 times. Outside of that they don't eat smoked meat. We were using Pit Boss pellet blend of maple, mesquite, and maybe hickory? I love how the Rec Tec cooked and how easy it gets to temp and the controller is amazing with set it and forget it temps. The build quality seems to be impressive too.

After cooking on it I definitely want something that gets to temp that quick.

Now I see the MB GF 1050. People say it gets to temp quick and it will have more smoke flavor. However, I also see the build quality is not comparable to the Rec Tec. Also, seems customer service is struggling a little right now.

I am ready to make a purchase. Just don't want it to be the wrong one. HELP!

Joedy, I recently purchased a 590 and have yet to use the extreme smoke setting.

Do you think if you let it ride a bit longer on that setting it would have helped?

I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces. (work too much) I've used it twice so far and have been happy with the results. Smoke flavor was definitely lighter. I have been using cookin' pellets hickory and I can taste the smoke just not stick burner or WSM smoke.

Joedy, I recently purchased a 590 and have yet to use the extreme smoke setting.

Do you think if you let it ride a bit longer on that setting it would have helped?

I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces. (work too much) I've used it twice so far and have been happy with the results. Smoke flavor was definitely lighter. I have been using cookin' pellets hickory and I can taste the smoke just not stick burner or WSM smoke.

Hey man glad you commented on my post. I know you ordered your 590 and in my mind all things equal I know it's a better cooker (except maybe high heat). I just hate not knowing about the smokiness. I have questioned how much of a difference there will be between the blend pellets and 100% hickory. I am cheap haha and very slow to make decisions that cost me money. Just don't want to make the wrong one.

My understanding is that Pit Boss pellets, are a bit weak on smoke flavor. Maybe try Lumberjack 100% hickory or mesquite, Cookinpellets 100% hickory, or something like that. Even B & B mesquite, which is a blend should give more smoke flavor. But even with that, you still might not get enough smoke flavor to suit your tastes. It all boils down to what works for you. Rec Tec gives me enough smoke flavor but that is to my tastes only. Rec Tec grills are not going to fit everybody's desired flavor profiles.

For what it's worth I've seen a few people discuss issues they are having with the MB Gravity Fed. A common issue seems to be the super thin steel lining the firebox is burning through, and it's exposing the insulation...which is strange because MB says it's lined with firebrick, but instead it looks like it's lined with oven insulation (or similar). From what I'm hearing this is becoming common for people after only a few cooks...2 or 3.

My understanding is that Pit Boss pellets, are a bit weak on smoke flavor. Maybe try Lumberjack 100% hickory or mesquite, Cookinpellets 100% hickory, or something like that. Even B & B mesquite, which is a blend should give more smoke flavor. But even with that, you still might not get enough smoke flavor to suit your tastes. It all boils down to what works for you. Rec Tec gives me enough smoke flavor but that is to my tastes only. Rec Tec grills are not going to fit everybody's desired flavor profiles.

I generally don't love a heavy smoke profile. I have been to restaurants where brisket has been too heavily smoked. I have cooked ribs that were too smoky for me. So that is what perplexes me.

For what it's worth I've seen a few people discuss issues they are having with the MB Gravity Fed. A common issue seems to be the super thin steel lining the firebox is burning through, and it's exposing the insulation...which is strange because MB says it's lined with firebrick, but instead it looks like it's lined with oven insulation (or similar). From what I'm hearing this is becoming common for people after only a few cooks...2 or 3.

These are the kinds of problems that concern me. I am cheap spending $700 or $800 dollars, I don't want it to last for 2 years and have to go back to the drawing board all over again.

So I had researched pellet grills and settled on the Rec Tec 590. I borrowed my buddy's to cook on for a weekend because I was skeptical about the smoke (coming from a WSM I have mentioned that on here before). Friday night I cooked burgers and they were phenomenal! As smoky as any I have ever cooked on my WSM. On Saturday I cooked a stuffed (colby jack cheese) meatloaf. Cooked on 200 for an hour 115 (IT was 140) and finished in an oven. Meatloaf was excellent tasted great...but no smoke flavor. Then on Memorial day I cooked 2 racks of spares trimmed to St. Louis style. Extreme Smoke for 30 min and then cooked at 200 for 3 1/2 more hours. Wrapped for the last hour to make more tender (ribs were sauced). Ribs were excellent and tender....but I didn't get no smoke flavor. Neither did my brother and sister in law, and they have only ate off my smoker maybe 4 times. Outside of that they don't eat smoked meat. We were using Pit Boss pellet blend of maple, mesquite, and maybe hickory? I love how the Rec Tec cooked and how easy it gets to temp and the controller is amazing with set it and forget it temps. The build quality seems to be impressive too.

After cooking on it I definitely want something that gets to temp that quick.

Now I see the MB GF 1050. People say it gets to temp quick and it will have more smoke flavor. However, I also see the build quality is not comparable to the Rec Tec. Also, seems customer service is struggling a little right now.

I am ready to make a purchase. Just don't want it to be the wrong one. HELP!
If he doesn't post here send darita a pm, he has a MAK 2 Star and an MB 560, he speaks highly of the MB.

I read it here but can't remember who posted it that they contacted MB CS and MB said that the thin metal is there just to protect the fire bricks during shipping and the metal is supposed to burn off and when it does it doesn't affect the grill performance at all.

Long video, and the sound is bad... but it’s a blind taste test that puts the Masterbuilt against a pellet grill. 12 people tested, and the end result was 8-4 with pellets winning.

https://youtu.be/mXEMqj5n9Jo

Bottomline, taste is subjective. Personally, I and those I cook for have come to love the clean taste of pellets. And then there are lots that prefer charcoal/chunks. Both can be excellent, but more than anything... it’s the cook, not the cooker :)

Long video, and the sound is bad... but it’s a blind taste test that puts the Masterbuilt against a pellet grill. 12 people tested, and the end result was 8-4 with pellets winning.

https://youtu.be/mXEMqj5n9Jo

Bottomline, taste is subjective. Personally, I and those I cook for have come to love the clean taste of pellets. And then there are lots that prefer charcoal/chunks. Both can be excellent, but more than anything... it’s the cook, not the cooker :)

I saw that same video a couple weeks back. Couldn’t agree more on your statement above. For smoke profile, I prefer my WSM first, PBC second, then Blaz’n GS last. My wife rates them WSM first, GS second, PBC last. My daughter GS first, WSM second, then PBC. And LASTLY, my BinLaw prefers PBC first, then everything else is distant second!

My cookers are like children or pets. I make sure I show them the love and try to spend time with each equally. :p

My cookers are like children or pets. I make sure I show them the love and try to spend time with each equally. :p

Awwww, brings a tear to my eye [emoji22]

Seriously though, it’s interesting how each of us are so unique and different when it comes to taste. Personally, I feel just awful for those that don’t find pellets best. I know it’s not their fault, they were born that way. Sad none the less... lol ;-)

The pellet smoker is going to be hard pressed to give you a comparable smoke profile to your WSM.

Pitt Boss pellets might have something to do with it. But possibly less than some may think.

Pellets, just by how they're made, are going to burn cleaner than wood or charcoal.

I have the RT590. It's primary use is as an overnight slow smoker for briskets and pork butts.

I no longer even bother to put ribs on it because it can't compete in terms of smoke flavor with ribs smoked on my WSM or my Kamado Joe.

I also do not bother to put wings on it, preferring to use my Weber Kettle and a Vortex, again because of favor profile. Nor do I put fish on it. Nor burgers.

I would not even consider searing a steak on it, or more accurately "attempting" to properly sear a steak on it. I'd use my Weber and Vortex before I'd even think of such. And that's after my Kamado or my Otto Wilde.

However with a smoke tube, I can get brisket and pork butt results in it, on long overnight cooks, which are comparable to what I can get on either of those two. I'll also do vegetables and lobster tails on it. This is where it shines. On foods where I'm not necessarily looking for a very notable smoke flavor.

My point. Some pits handle some foods better than others to my tastes.

Last edited:
The pellet smoker is going to be hard pressed to give you a comparable smoke profile to your WSM.

Pitt Boss pellets might have something to do with it. But possibly less than some may think.

Pellets, just by how they're made, are going to burn cleaner than wood or charcoal.

I have the RT590. It's primary use is as an overnight slow smoker for briskets and pork butts.

I no longer even bother to put ribs on it because it can't compete in terms of smoke flavor with ribs smoked on my WSM or my Kamado Joe.

I also do not bother to put wings on it, preferring to use my Weber Kettle and a Vortex, again because of favor profile. Nor do I put fish on it. Nor burgers.

I would not even consider searing a steak on it, or more accurately "attempting" to properly sear a steak on it. I'd use my Weber and Vortex before I'd even think of such. And that's after my Kamado or my Otto Wilde.

However with a smoke tube, I can get brisket and pork butt results in it, on long overnight cooks, which are comparable to what I can get on either of those two. I'll also do vegetables and lobster tails on it. This is where it shines. On foods where I'm not necessarily looking for a very notable smoke flavor.

My point. Some pits handle some foods better than others to my tastes.

It surprises me greatly that you prefer the smoke on butts and brisket that pellets provide. The only reasoning I use, is that those two are large pieces of meat so I would've thought it would be a lot more difficult to get smoke flavor into those versus a thinner piece of meat.

I have the Rec Tec WIFI controller in my Camp Chef and I use Pit Boss competition blend Pellets. I can get the temp up to 500° with those pellets and oversmoked some Beef Jerky at 180°. I really like the RT controller. My first pellet pooper was the RT 300. The RT 590 is a big step up from that and their grills are strong. I know nothing about the MB.

I have a WSM, Primo Ceramic, MAK2 and now an MB560. I have to say, all are capable of producing a good, rich smoke flavor, depending on the wood used, pellets used, etc. In my MAK2, I use LJ pellets. To me, they produce the most smoke flavor. Far more than Pellet Boss, which I now use for heat only.
Keep in mind, I'm comparing one of the best smoke profile producing pellet smokers on the market, to the MB560. So far, for ease of use, the slight edge goes to the MB. For flavor profile, it's a toss up, depending on what chunks I use in the MB. For consistency, you can't beat the MAK2. That said, the MB has not missed a beat and it's ability to hold temps and go from smoke to sear in minutes, amazes me and it's all done with charcoal and real wood. If I had to choose one...I couldn't. They're so similar in capabilities, yet so different in fuel and how they function.
Remember, pellet smokers are set-and-forget, but they are not maintenance free. On that, I'd have to give it to the MB. And for customer service, well MAK is second to no one. Masterbuilt CS is having a tuff time right now, so that's up in the air. Also, who knows how long the 560 will last without needing repairs...and when it does...? On the other hand, we're comparing a $2k+ cooker to a $500 cooker, so...
If you have to choose one, then look at it as, which smoker do I want first. Good luck!

I’ve been eyeing the MB560. I don’t need it. I am intrigued by it. Fair warning, if I get one, my wife is coming looking for all of you. :razz:

We'll just say we tried to talk you out of it because we knew it would make her mad.:laugh:

Remember, pellet smokers are set-and-forget, but they are not maintenance free.

This is such an important point that is often overlooked. Customer support for my pellet grill (camp chef) literally said to clean out the burn pot before each use (I hadn't been doing that btw). Sort of belies the 'busy man's smoker' image of pellet grills generally.

Back