Craigslist Cast Iron Dutch Oven Christmas Present (before & after pics)

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Found this 9" Wagner cast iron pot on craigslist a while back. I couldn't post it because it was to be a Christmas present for my son. He looks at the Brethren now & then and I didn't want his to see it. We like to make the Pit Boys BBQ Baked Beans with it. The lady I bought it from, said it was her mom's and it has been around ever since she could remember. It is at least 60 years old. It took about an hour for me to get it in the shape you see in the pictures below, using a 7" handheld angle grinder with a wire brush. After seasoning it looked like new. Paid $30

IMG_3635.jpg

BEFORE

IMG_3636.jpg

BEFORE

IMG_3637.jpg

AFTER

IMG_3638.jpg

AFTER

Pit Boys BBQ Baked Beans
Barbecue Baked Beans Recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube

Last edited:
Way cool old dutchie.
Heck that thing is older than me!

Nice score. It's unreal at times the stuff you can find on Craigslist as well as yard sales, thrift stores for unbelievable prices.

It's ready to go for another 50 years of cooking :thumb:

I was just gifted that exact same pot and cover a couple weeks ago. Same nubs on the back side of the lid and all. I did beans in it last week. Small World.

There isn't anything better than CI when it comes to reliable cooking. I swear by my dutch oven and CI frying pans. I actually gave some away a couple years ago, and have been trying to figure out how to get them back ever since. lol Great job on restoring that dutchie. You'll never regret the time you put into it!! :thumb:

The Wagner and Griswold Society site is a great resource for learning about all about cast iron cookware. They have a great section for cleaning cast iron:
http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/lye.php
I've used a lye bath for a while and cleaned dozens of pieces without having to use power tools. Aggressive use of power tools and wire wheels actually damage the cast iron surface and leave it in a condition that won't season properly. I highly recommend setting up a lye bath even if you only want to clean a few pieces, it's easy and economical.

The Wagner and Griswold Society site is a great resource for learning about all about cast iron cookware. They have a great section for cleaning cast iron:
http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/lye.php
I've used a lye bath for a while and cleaned dozens of pieces without having to use power tools. Aggressive use of power tools and wire wheels actually damage the cast iron surface and leave it in a condition that won't season properly. I highly recommend setting up a lye bath even if you only want to clean a few pieces, it's easy and economical.

I used to work as a docent in a 19th century living history museum, and this was one of the ways we used to demonstrate cleaning the cast iron pieces. It was easy, but it was also very dangerous. We used to have the public stand back behind a half wall to watch while we cleaned the pieces at a rather good distance for fear of accidental splashing. It did work well for cleaning, though. And the vinegar and water bath worked very well for removing the rust without power tools. Thanks for the link to the Wagner and Griswold Society. Great stuff! :wink:

Man that cast iron can hold up over time.I have bout 2 or 3 skillets that have been in the family for 50+ years.I just keep seasoning them and fryin chicken and fish,lol

That is a great Dutch oven, by the way, I really like those old Wagner pieces. It should be a great addition to your cooking arsenal.

Back