Talk charcoal to me

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I have an Assassin GF on order with Jeff. For those of you with GF smokers, do you use/prefer briquettes or lump and why? What brand do you prefer?

Briquettes for a more even burn, but lump for way less ash. I always used to run lump in the Deep South. Only thing we did was to break up any really big pieces so they wouldn’t bridge in the chute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned a Stump's and briquettes did not bridge as bad as lump did .

I like briquettes for consistent burn and no bridging. Favorite are Jealous devil and Kingsford Professional. Both leave less ash than most others. The Kingsford is a lite briquette and burns faster than 5he Jealous Devil, which is a larger dense briquette.

Bridging generally occurs when trying to use lump charcoal for fuel. Due to the irregular sizes, the lump may become wedged in the chute and not continue the gravity flow and thus, your fire dies out. I have never experienced a bridge while using briquettes on my Stumps Stretch.

YMMV as they say.

Robert

I use mostly B&B briquettes in my Limo Jr. GF. I like the consistency and burn time. Produces a bit more ash than lump, but not enough to worry about.

Red

I use briquettes in my Assassin. Even burn and no worries on bridging.

I start with Royal Oak natural briquettes in a chimney which I then pour over B&B briquettes and wood chunks in a minion-like fashion.

Last edited:
Got a Myron Mixon G20 GF here. I've switched to Royal Oak Lump for all my cooks. But before that, I had no problem with Royal Oak Lump or Kingsford blue bag. Kingsford I'd use for shorter cooks (<6 hours). Anything longer than 6 hours, I'd use Royal Oak Lump cuz much less ash to deal with. I've only had 1 bridge in like a million cooks.

Royal Oak briquettes were my preference for their even burn, aroma, and burn time, when I had my Assassin.

Back