Beginner octagonal offset build

chrisys

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey there everyone, firstly, I’ve found this site to be a great resource when researching and designing my first offset build so thanks! I’ve finally managed to put together a design that I think will work OK and wanted to share here and make sure I’ve not done something stupid.

I found it really tough to get hold of steel tube of large diameters here in the UK, so I figured I could weld together an octagon shaped tank. I’ve aimed for 20” wide by 40” long which gives me a volume of about 54.8 gallons; 12,658 cu in.

Using the BBQ Pit Calculator I’ve come up with a firebox size of 18” high, 17.25” wide and 18” long, which gives me a size of 5589 cu in, with a recommended size of 4220 so that’s a bit oversized at ~130%. I’ve purposefully made the firebox width a little less than the cook chamber, so I can add insulation later if I need to.

I’ve gone for a 4” chimney, 22 inch long with a collector the full width of the cook chamber positioned in the centre of the chamber height-wise, with the grate level centred as well.

The throat comes out at 46 sq inch and I’ve got 5 openings in the firebox door each 3.4x1inch, for a total of 17 sq inch.

Everything will be made from 6mm steel plate (~1/4”).

There are a couple of images of my design attached; I didn't bother drawing any legs or wheels yet as I thought it important to get the chambers right first.

From what I can tell this all checks out but I’ve never seen or used a cooker like this in person as they’re not too common around here. I’m intending to just burn oak logs. I am embarking on this mission as I’ve done a few cooks on my gas grill with pellet tube smokers and wanted to take it to the next level :D If anyone wants to take a look at what I’ve done and throw in 2c before I start cutting and welding I’d appreciate the input!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 13.06.58.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 13.06.58.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 13.06.46.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 13.06.46.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 308
Welcome to the brethren! I’m not qualified to answer your questions but hopefully someone else can help you. I do like the looks of your smoker design though…

Design looks good, can't wait to see a finished pic and cook.

There's nothing that'd couldn't be compared to something else design wise, the 8 sides are about all I see in common with the very nice Pitmaker.

Sounds like you're well on your way in design. I like the idea of the oversized firebox. Imagine you'd run 8" splits with that size of chamber? I run 16" splits in mine and it is roughly 28" long. Having that extra little bit of space to operate is nice and it helps keep the fire away from the cook chamber and getting the exteriors too crispy

I think those pit calculators are a better general starting place than something to be held as gospel.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

I think the design looks good. Oversized firebox is good; better to be over than undersized. I don't know what the calculator told you is needed for intake volume, but I'd oversize that as well some. My philosophy on it is that you can control the temperature with the size of the fire to get lower temps, but you will need to have more volume and air intake to go higher. Nothing more frustrating to me than a pit that will not get to the temp you want it.........

Only thing I can note is that the cooker is similar in size to the LSG 20x42 but your firebox is a bit smaller in comparison. Theirs is 20x20x18, so you may try to copy those dimensions as its a pretty popular smoker.

Someone with that cooker might be able to comment on the firebox size.

i hope it isn't in bad taste to mention them by name, but i know "the other bbq site" www.smokingmeatforums.com has a specific forum or subforum (cant remember) dedicated to builds

As a source of fabrication info checkout Allen’s welding and woodworking channel on YT
The man rocks,,,,luv his vids

Great stuff folks thanks for all the input. My steel sheet turned up today so hopefully I can grab some time to make a start this weekend - will post some photos if so!

I can make the firebox a bit longer and deeper but width wise I'm limited by the width of the cook chamber. I'm thinking I'll also make the stack a bit taller, say 30", as I can always cut it down afterward.

Have a good weekend!

Back