Looking for a New Rib Recipe for the 4th. What Yall got?

BlackDogBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Looking for a new rib recipe, ideas, and or tips to try out for the 4th. I have cooked ribs several time often using a varation of the 3-2-1 technique saucing them at the end. However, I am open to new ideas rather that be sauced, dry rubbed, lemon buttered, wrapped, not wrapped, whatever. What yall got?

For the record I do not leave the ribs wrapped for 2 hours so more like a 3-1-45mins technique or whenever there done. Regardless, I'm up for shucking the foil all together.

If you want something interesting, try slicing the rack before the cook. What happens is you get rub and bark on all the sides, they cook faster and the tenderness is just about what you would get from smoking the rack whole. The process I used was about 2 hours on the grate, thrown them in a pan with a little sauce or other liquid and back on for another 2 hours. Don't wrap or cover.

I would normally add a boil ribs joke. But....

I seriously came across this recipe just a few weeks ago, and i tried it, and it was amazing. I adapted it as well...
You smoke the ribs low and slow for an hour with just some lightly coated salt/pepper. Transfer to a pressure cooker for 25 min. Natural pressure release for 10min. Transfer to a air fryer for five min ( or use a hot oven 450F) then slather with bbq sauce and air fry or oven for another 5 min. Turns out amazing.

So, 1 hour 45 min total. Takes Hot n Fast to a whole new level.

Last edited:
Hot and fast :). I usually cook mine about 2.5-3 hours at around 300-325. No really science on timing. Wrap in BP if the color is going too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuffed Ribs. I made them once. They weren't bad. I didn't like the stuffing (dressing) recipe I used, but has potential.
Also saw a guy make a 'stuffed rib' years ago. It was cooked in foil so super tender. Pulled the bones out and then the cavity was filled with an apple butter type filling. They looked awesome. I didn't get a chance to try them though. I can't find a recipe for anything similar either.
He was a 'gastronomy' chef type, so....??

Stuffed Ribs. I made them once. They weren't bad. I didn't like the stuffing (dressing) recipe I used, but has potential.
Also saw a guy make a 'stuffed rib' years ago. It was cooked in foil so super tender. Pulled the bones out and then the cavity was filled with an apple butter type filling. They looked awesome. I didn't get a chance to try them though. I can't find a recipe for anything similar either.
He was a 'gastronomy' chef type, so....??

Yup!
I done this one last December

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288032

Lot of great feedback here. I got a lot to digust now from straight up salt and pepper ribs to korean style to air fryer ribs. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it lands.

If you want something interesting, try slicing the rack before the cook. What happens is you get rub and bark on all the sides, they cook faster and the tenderness is just about what you would get from smoking the rack whole. The process I used was about 2 hours on the grate, thrown them in a pan with a little sauce or other liquid and back on for another 2 hours. Don't wrap or cover.

Good thought I think I will try cutting up one of the racks and see how it goes. Thanks a lot.

I very well may end up going this route. Thanks for the tip. Ill let you know how it turns out. Have a Happy 4th!

If you haven’t tried it, after an hour at 265-280 wrap in bobbled foil and add 1/2 cup of red wine like a merlot or syrah for an hour or so then out of the foil to set the bark again for 1/2 hour or so. The wine flavor adds something nice to the taste.

Back