Tried The Brisket Tallow Smoke This Weekend

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Never wrapped brisket before, so this is a new technique for me along with the tallow.

16 lb Costco brisket trimmed to 14 lbs.
Heavy dry rub
Placed on Smoker at 250 for 2 hours
Raised heat to 300 until brisket hit 180 degrees
Removed the brisket from the smoker
Placed brisket on butcher paper and a placed a small ice cream scoop scoop and a half of tallow under the brisket, fat side down.
Wrapped tight in butcher paper and placed back in the smoker at 300 degrees
Pulled at 201 degrees, placed in cooler with towel wrap for 3 hours
after 3 hours, pulled from cooler and unwrapped.

Results:
1. Butcher paper was completely saturated with fat top and bottom.
2. Unfolded paper
3. Bark was dark, but a little too soft for me
3. The flat and point both cut fine, the flat was a little firmer but the texture
and pull were excellent
4. The flat was very juicy.
5. Smoke flavor was fair, not overly smoky
6. Point was juicy as usual

This was the first brisket smoke for me where the entire flat was almost as juicy as the point, no dryness at all in the flat.

I will use the tallow and wrap again, but I'll just use one scoop as I think there was too much fat overall which saturated the paper and also softened the bark. I guess it's possible that just wrapping a brisket also causes the top of the paper to get saturated and soften the bark?

You just described exactly what I was expecting.
While making an awesome brisket you also made a colossal greasy mess.

I have tallow but no paper. Also no brisket. Not sure I'm ready to try this yet anyway.

Thanks for posting your results.

I Watched the Meat Church/ Jirby video so did something similar.

-Smoked a HEB prime brisket on my offset with Post Oak.
-250/275deg.
-Spritzed with water.
-Wrapped in butchers paper with a dollop of tallow when I had good bark formation, around 180deg IT.
-Pulled it off probe tender, about 203-4ish.
-Poured some melted tallow over the butchers paper and let it sit on the counter till IT reached 145deg - about 2 hours.
-Sliced and served!

Family absolutely loved it! Kept commenting how juicy it was. Will definitely do again. Bark was tacky and amazing. Not sure what would happen to the bark with an extended 8-12 hour rest with that much tallow but will try it one day.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 597
I Watched the Meat Church/ Jirby video so did something similar.

-Smoked a HEB prime brisket on my offset with Post Oak.
-250/275deg.
-Spritzed with water.
-Wrapped in butchers paper with a dollop of tallow when I had good bark formation, around 180deg IT.
-Pulled it off probe tender, about 203-4ish.
-Poured some melted tallow over the butchers paper and let it sit on the counter till IT reached 145deg - about 2 hours.
-Sliced and served!

Family absolutely loved it! Kept commenting how juicy it was. Will definitely do again. Bark was tacky and amazing. Not sure what would happen to the bark with an extended 8-12 hour rest with that much tallow but will try it one day.

looks great!

I had a few friends over when I opened mine up and poof, almost disappeared in minutes. Didn't even have enough time to take pictures. :doh:

I think if you left off the drizzle over the top, the bark would have been more set. Also, like you stated, I think an extended rest would also soften the bark up even more.

Yet another thing on my list to try. Great info in the post from all

Fat is flavor so this tallow for me feels like a cheat or crutch. Packers shouldn't need it but it makes some sense for flats.

So we know that you can't put fat back into meat, and putting fat all over the butcher paper likely inhibits its ability to breathe making it more like foil (my theory at least) - how many of you that used this method have foiled briskets before instead of butcher paper? As mentioned, fat is flavor, so you're likely adding some surface flavor that might not have been there otherwise. In my experience, foil can result in a "softer" texture compared to butcher paper. I wonder if a lot of this is just making the butcher paper breathe less, and adding some surface flavor to the meat.

The tallow seems interesting, but I have to agree that it doesn't make much sense in adding to the moistness within the meat. A prime brisket on it's own has plenty of fat, seems over kill to add pre rendered fat on top? But I haven't tried this myself yet so I could be completely wrong... in any case, that brisket looks damn good friend, nice cook.

Never wrapped brisket before, so this is a new technique for me along with the tallow.

16 lb Costco brisket trimmed to 14 lbs.
Heavy dry rub
Placed on Smoker at 250 for 2 hours
Raised heat to 300 until brisket hit 180 degrees
Removed the brisket from the smoker
Placed brisket on butcher paper and a placed a small ice cream scoop scoop and a half of tallow under the brisket, fat side down.
Wrapped tight in butcher paper and placed back in the smoker at 300 degrees
Pulled at 201 degrees, placed in cooler with towel wrap for 3 hours
after 3 hours, pulled from cooler and unwrapped.

Results:
1. Butcher paper was completely saturated with fat top and bottom.
2. Unfolded paper
3. Bark was dark, but a little too soft for me
3. The flat and point both cut fine, the flat was a little firmer but the texture
and pull were excellent
4. The flat was very juicy.
5. Smoke flavor was fair, not overly smoky
6. Point was juicy as usual

This was the first brisket smoke for me where the entire flat was almost as juicy as the point, no dryness at all in the flat.

I will use the tallow and wrap again, but I'll just use one scoop as I think there was too much fat overall which saturated the paper and also softened the bark. I guess it's possible that just wrapping a brisket also causes the top of the paper to get saturated and soften the bark?

Why did you wrap it with the tallow FAT side down? I think the Tallow addition is for doing Fat side up, and keeping the non-fat side moist and flavorful.

I think the Tallow addition is for doing Fat side up, and keeping the non-fat side moist and flavorful.

That way makes sense to me.

I did this cook a couple weeks ago with a Costco Prime packer. I used my Kamado Joe Big Joe for the cook at 250° and put the tallow in a glass on the grill, to possible soak up some smoke flavor, ala the Mad Scientist BBQ. I pulled it at about 175° when it had good color and wrapped in butcher paper with about 1/4 cup of the tallow added during the wrap. I pulled it from the grill when it probed butter tender. I wrapped it, paper and all, with some foil to retain the heat and placed it in a cooler for about 10 hours.

This was without a doubt the best brisket I have ever done. The flavor was fantastic and the flat was a juicy as the point on a usual brisket cook. Everyone at the table felt the same way and thought it was the best they had ever had. I cook brisket several times a year so they are very used to good brisket. From reading other posts on different YouTube cooks, I think the long rest may also have an effect on the quality of this brisket. I will have to experiment more in future cooks but I recommend everyone should at least give this method a try and see what your results are.

I did this cook a couple weeks ago with a Costco Prime packer. I used my Kamado Joe Big Joe for the cook at 250° and put the tallow in a glass on the grill, to possible soak up some smoke flavor, ala the Mad Scientist BBQ. I pulled it at about 175° when it had good color and wrapped in butcher paper with about 1/4 cup of the tallow added during the wrap. I pulled it from the grill when it probed butter tender. I wrapped it, paper and all, with some foil to retain the heat and placed it in a cooler for about 10 hours.

This was without a doubt the best brisket I have ever done. The flavor was fantastic and the flat was a juicy as the point on a usual brisket cook. Everyone at the table felt the same way and thought it was the best they had ever had. I cook brisket several times a year so they are very used to good brisket. From reading other posts on different YouTube cooks, I think the long rest may also have an effect on the quality of this brisket. I will have to experiment more in future cooks but I recommend everyone should at least give this method a try and see what your results are.

Nice. What kind of tallow did you use?

Just curious why you decided to wrap in foil?

I used Cornhusker Kitchen Beef Tallow - Grass fed Beef Tallow that I got from Amazon. I used the foil because I was keeping it in the cooler for such a long time and I wanted to retain as much heat as possible. After the 10 hrs it was still about 145° internal when I started to slice it. The long rest softened the bark a little but it was still very good.

As Bryan from 407BBQ posted earlier: Did I miss the Tik-Tok video teaching people to smear beef tallow on slices of brisket? Please stop people...you're just gonna end up with a greasy tongue.

My brother! This has been my thought from the start with the tallow brisket boom. Doing one tomorrow for kicks so I'll report.

So we know that you can't put fat back into meat, and putting fat all over the butcher paper likely inhibits its ability to breathe making it more like foil (my theory at least) - how many of you that used this method have foiled briskets before instead of butcher paper? As mentioned, fat is flavor, so you're likely adding some surface flavor that might not have been there otherwise. In my experience, foil can result in a "softer" texture compared to butcher paper. I wonder if a lot of this is just making the butcher paper breathe less, and adding some surface flavor to the meat.

Not to play devils advocate, but I wonder if this method has some roots going back the French traditional cooking method of Confit.

My brother! This has been my thought from the start with the tallow brisket boom. Doing one tomorrow for kicks so I'll report.

Looking forward to your thoughts - I do intend to try it myself as well at some point to see what there is to see.

Seems to me you are risking the meat on Tallow that came from where? was it a nice cut of beef from what type of beef ect? , lot of chances it could go 1 way or the other imo. I like the tried and true method my own self, $$ on meat these days can be stupid high.

I haven’t tried it yet but I’m a bit suspicious too. Makes more sense to me on a select or lower choice than for prime or certainly for wagyu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back