Hot and Fast

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I recently read in an article that cooking hot and fast results in a slightly more snug rib versus falling-off-the-bone, and that Franklin's BBQ heats their cookers to 350. It got me wondering about what temp people consider to be the threshold for being hot and fast. More so, what temp do you cook at? Do you like different temps for different meats?

Anything 'bbq' can be cooked between 225 and 400 in my opinion. Time is a sliding scale depending on the temperature.
My personal sweet spot is between 275 and 300. Here you are still 'slow', but not all day/night slow. And I still get good results.
If you want more pull to your ribs, just dont cook them as long.

400 is the hottest I've gone. I was doing 325-350 for years. I'm slowing back down to 300 lately. Not rushing the cook time or the cooker to get up to temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I cook around 285 on my ole hickory de. It seems to really like settling in at that temp. When I had a klose offset it varied between 275 and 300 depending on weather.

my sweet spot is between 275 and 300 degrees but will never cook at 225 and is way to low and takes way to long . also cooking at a higher temps get you through a stall quicker too on brisket and pork butt .

I do t really even think too much about it. In fact I sometimes “mix” the techniques - riibs and especially butts: 250 till stall hen I’ll crank up to 275-300 then often back to 250. Guess that leans towards low and slow. Briskets 250-275 and just let em rise it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back