Totally Naked Spare Ribs - No Rub or Sauce or Wrap

back to basics! Awesome! This reminds me that I have to some S&P ribs this weekend for sure. The color on those is really nice too.

Awesome feedback, guys! Thank you!

Don't get me wrong, I do like to rub and sauce my ribs too, I just wanted to try the meat and smoke thing and see what happened. It blew my socks off.

The testing different woods in a controlled setting has me intrigued. Love to see the results on that. Love to do it myself if I had access to more hardwood sticks.

The testing different woods in a controlled setting has me intrigued. Love to see the results on that. Love to do it myself if I had access to more hardwood sticks.
Too bad I didn't transcribe my notes somewhere I could find them today. <sigh> But the high points were
  • Hickory is pretty strong, but good for Pork.
  • Cherry tastes like cherry!

As far as running your own experiment... Last time I was in MN I saw lots of trees. Watch Craigslist (free stuff.) Whenever you hear a chainsaw in the neighborhood, check out what they're cutting. I've gotten crabapple, maple and cherry this way. If you're not a scrounger/cheapskate like me, check out the big box stores and Amazon for smoking wood. In general anything with nuts or fruit is good. Add maple to that list. Surely you have these around you.

There is something about the simplicity of fire and meat. Also I have seen where meat is fire roasted and occasionally basted/spritzed with seawater for flavor.

Salmuera! That's Argentine.. Basically baste with brine.

Where do you get this?

Atrazine, (which is what is in Scott's weed 'n feed) is one of those things that gets sucked up into the tree and doesn't go away for a very long time. It is a very common weedkiller. Any other pesticide that is put down gets sucked up into the tree. Systemic pesticides are designed to get sucked up into the tree and kill whatever bugs are chewing on the tree.

The problem with getting wood from residential areas is you can never be quite sure of what has gone down on the grass in the past. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. Maybe I'm a bit weird but it's not worth it for me! :wacko:

Atrazine, (which is what is in Scott's weed 'n feed) is one of those things that gets sucked up into the tree and doesn't go away for a very long time. ...
The problem with getting wood from residential areas is you can never be quite sure of what has gone down on the grass in the past.
(Thought I had replied to this but must have forgot to hit 'submit.')
Thanks for expanding on that.

It makes me wonder about the source for any of the wood we get. At least the wood I collect on my property hasn't had any pesticides/herbicides applied in over 30 years.

Edit: Nasty stuff when burned too. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/atrazine#section=Decomposition&fullscreen=true

Last edited:
(Thought I had replied to this but must have forgot to hit 'submit.')
Thanks for expanding on that.

It makes me wonder about the source for any of the wood we get. At least the wood I collect on my property hasn't had any pesticides/herbicides applied in over 30 years.

Edit: Nasty stuff when burned too. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/atrazine#section=Decomposition&fullscreen=true

I'm glad you guys brought this up. I'm new to city life and hadn't thought about this. That's definitely reason to get my firewood from someone who has woods well outside the metro area.

Back