Inconsistent temps inside meatloaf??

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all - decided to do a trial run of SirPorkaLot's smoked meatloaf on the new Pecos before I do it for real on Thanksgiving!! I made two, both placed the same distance from the firebox - one came out magnificently after I pulled it while it was reading 155/160 throughout, but the other was a HOT MESS. Checking temp with the Thermapen, parts of it were 170/175 while some parts were still 142!!! I just don't understand why one would be even throughout and the other would be so variable. I dared not pull it before it was reading at least 155 everywhere since it's got ground pork in it :/

The recipe did call for gouda chunks, and I cut them about 1" square - I think I'll aim for 1/2" chunks next time. Several of them melted right through the cooking grate, and maybe that introduced some variation in temps?

Otherwise, I'm at a total loss - how could one meatloaf be so even and the other so uneven, resulting in a dry, hard finished product? Even probing it with the Thermapen I could tell it was gonna be too tough :(

As it was my very first cook on the new Pecos, there were some temp swings - hopefully I can ride it closer to 300 the whole time on Thursday.

I will greatly appreciate your insight, Brethren!!!

Your expertise is warmly welcomed!!

I am not a stick burner but, what I can think of would be some major hot or cold spots and if the loaf wasn't uniform in shape or density.

Ok, I think my issues may have been caused by having one of the meatloafs (meatloaves?) closer to the door which isn't quite sealed up yet - for now I'll keep things away from the door until I've got more cooks on it!

Back