Finally getting an offset

Raider18

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I’ve wanted a quality offset smoker for a decade now. Started saving for a Jambo Backyard, then had a kid, saved up the money again and lost my job. Replaced my nest egg plus money for Jambo then my kid got cancer. Kid is 2 years cancer free, nest egg is good and being quarantined I’ve saved more money than I need for the Jambo.

Given my luck it’s hard to let go of that money. So while
Jambo is my first choice I’m considering cheaper grills such as the LSG 20x42 and the Shirley 36”. Any other suggestions?

For those with Shirleys or LSG 20” series are you satisfied with your choice? Cooking for three 90% of the time.

Man, get the Jambo. You deserve it.

I'm gonna get a Jambo Backyard as my next cooker.

I have zero complaints about my Shirley 36 love it. But as tbone said get the Jambo. That was and is your dream. You will spend a lifetime wondering if you don’t. For the record I have cooked on a Jambo and they are fine pits. Jamie is a nice guy as well. No wrong choice here so follow your dreams.

There are a lot of good choices in stick burners. I'm a reverse flow guy for normal size patio models so for me, that means Shirley and Evie Mae. I really like the classic looks of the Evie Mae but, the Shirley cabinet has a lot more capacity if I need it for a big cook or lots of sides.

In the end, I think a lot of people get hung up holding out for a 'dream build' but, the reality is even a less than perfect (however you define perfect) offset is fully capable of making great memories of awesome food coming from the smoker.

If it drafts well and has the cooking capacity you need with reasonable construction, you are apt to be very happy. Heck, if I didn't enjoy drinking beer while playing with a live fire and the sticks, I would have never moved on from my WSMs.

Another consideration is what attracts you to the Jambo? What is the unique appeal of it to you? For example with me as one example of many, LSG builds a really nice offset but it simply doesn't appeal to me for reasons that are at best subjective and specific to me alone. Could I own one and be very happy, YOU BET!

That being said though, had I bought my Evie Mae first I probably would not also own the Shirley as I would have probably stepped up to a trailer smoker instead. Of course, in my case, I can move the Shirley to a trailer easy enough if I want to go that direction.

So, coming full circle, what attracts you to the Jambo? That is the real question that needs to be answered first.

Looking on Google Maps it's showing that you're roughly an hour away from Johnson Custom Smokers in Ennis, TX. Absolutely 100% worth checking out since you're so close, and they make some amazing offset pits.

www.johnsonsmokers.com

I am with the above people who say get the Jambo.
As there is absolutely nothing wrong with all those other manufactures and builders its just what you have wanted for so long.

Again nothing wrong with a Shirley or LSG.
Also Aaron Franklin is building pit and they look pretty sweet (not sure price but I would say high).

I went from an OK Joe Highland to a Shirley 24x36 and couldn’t be happier with my purchase. The pit is incredibly easy to run and maintains temp easily. If you aren’t cooking for huge groups, you said 3 most times, you will likely never fill it up. I’ve yet to fill mine to capacity.
Shirley is a great company to work with and the delivery company they use will deliver it to your home in perfect condition. If it’s delivered, no AL sales tax is paid which is like getting a $200+ credit on you shipping costs if you choose a 24x36.

There are a lot of good choices in stick burners. I'm a reverse flow guy for normal size patio models so for me, that means Shirley and Evie Mae. I really like the classic looks of the Evie Mae but, the Shirley cabinet has a lot more capacity if I need it for a big cook or lots of sides.

In the end, I think a lot of people get hung up holding out for a 'dream build' but, the reality is even a less than perfect (however you define perfect) offset is fully capable of making great memories of awesome food coming from the smoker.

If it drafts well and has the cooking capacity you need with reasonable construction, you are apt to be very happy. Heck, if I didn't enjoy drinking beer while playing with a live fire and the sticks, I would have never moved on from my WSMs.

Another consideration is what attracts you to the Jambo? What is the unique appeal of it to you? For example with me as one example of many, LSG builds a really nice offset but it simply doesn't appeal to me for reasons that are at best subjective and specific to me alone. Could I own one and be very happy, YOU BET!

That being said though, had I bought my Evie Mae first I probably would not also own the Shirley as I would have probably stepped up to a trailer smoker instead. Of course, in my case, I can move the Shirley to a trailer easy enough if I want to go that direction.

So, coming full circle, what attracts you to the Jambo? That is the real question that needs to be answered first.

I love Evie Mae's!! My favorite BBQ joint and people! When my daughter was diagnosed with cancer Arnis and Mallory sent us a care package and I'm forever thankful they thought of us during our worst. Though I haven't talked to Arnis in a few months, last I heard pit building is on hold. They have so much going on handling their business during COVID I haven't even approached him about building me a pit. I'm sure he would, but I don't want to take advantage of their kind hearts.

What draws me to the JAMBO is my first time cooking on a stick burner was using a JAMBO clone (R&O). The ease of cooking with that insulated firebox was a fun day, plus I like the idea of a Traditional offset. Resale is also near 100% on those things if times got hard.

The reasons why I'm considering something else is one I've become cheap the older I get and two I realize I would only cook on it about once per month and spending that kind of money on something I will hardly use goes back to me being cheap. I already have a 22.5 WSM, a PK and a REC TEC. In the cooler months though there is nothing better than tending a fire. The smell of post oak and the heat is the therapy I need. I do believe an LSG, Shirley or even an EM would scratch that itch.

I vote for the Jambo….it's your dream smoker and Lord knows you deserve it!!
VERY happy to hear your child is doing well!!!

What draws me to the JAMBO is my first time cooking on a stick burner was using a JAMBO clone (R&O). The ease of cooking with that insulated firebox was a fun day, plus I like the idea of a Traditional offset. Resale is also near 100% on those things if times got hard.

Any good pit in North Dallas that drafts well will be easy to run and you really don't need an insulated firebox. To be honest, I just don't see the need to go above 3/8ths in the firebox here in East Texas.

By traditional offset, you realize Evie Mae is reverse flow, don't you? On smaller stick burners, I prefer reverse flow but, direct or traditional flow works well too once you know how they run. Some people actually prefer them for a hotter end to cook things like Chicken and Hams or Butts together so the chicken skin will crisp up while keeping the other stuff running a bit cooler.

The reasons why I'm considering something else is one I've become cheap the older I get and two I realize I would only cook on it about once per month and spending that kind of money on something I will hardly use goes back to me being cheap. I already have a 22.5 WSM, a PK and a REC TEC. In the cooler months though there is nothing better than tending a fire. The smell of post oak and the heat is the therapy I need. I do believe an LSG, Shirley or even an EM would scratch that itch.

Don't ignore the warmer months with a beer in one hand and the fire poker in the other! :thumb:

To appeal to your more thrifty side, patience to look for a used a smoker can be very rewarding. In my case, I could not buy a new Evie Mae but 'ruger35' hooked me up with a used one and I'm super happy.

Steel is expensive these days so, smokers, in general, are getting more expensive. This makes gently used smokers an even better bargain today IMHO. Or give me a year or two to quit waffling on a trailer smoker because I really don't need three big stick burners! :razz:

Yeah I know Shirley and EM or reverse flows, not against them, just like the "idea" of a traditional offset.

You may be selling on the Shirley as I like to cook in the 250-275 range.

I have no experience with Jambo but thats what you wanted and saved for. Go with your first instincts.

That said, I am MORE than happy with my LSG.

First and foremost God bless you and your family. Next, I agree there is something to be said about going after your dream, but it sounds like you really wouldn't mind your 2nd or 3rd place smokers. I totally understand the cheap (thrifty) side of things. Whatever you decide keep us updated and show us those cooks in the future!

You may be selling on the Shirley as I like to cook in the 250-275 range.

With cost and availability right now, along with the overall capacity I think the Shirley 24"x36" patio model is a real bargain.

That being said, it is still roughly $2K which puts a lot of options on the table which can be daunting. With my experience today, I'm a lot more confident buying online without a real personal 'test drive' but, for anyone relatively new to stick burners I think it is wise to go to events where you can put your hands on a few different models to help solidify what you really want.

To some, the stacked dime welds are where it is at. For others, it is all about the handles, stack, and dampers. For yet others, it all about the firebox whether insulated, offset / underneath / behind or 1/4", 3/8" or, 1/2".

Then there are things that aren't obvious unless you have been around stick burners. I don't obsess over minor insignificant smoke leaks whether on my WSMs or a stick burner so, why would I want to deal with door gaskets over a properly welded flanged door? For many, something like this might seem to be the cat's meow but, a properly welded door doesn't leak heat or smoke so why would I want to have gaskets that need maintenance? A wire brush and paint to me is also an option if I let things go that can be found at any local hardware store or lumber yard versus looking for replacement gasket material.

In the end, there are few WRONG decisions and a bunch of slightly better ones! The real enemy is the search for perfection and not making a choice!

That's the main reason I don't own a Shirley trailer today. If I hadn't waffled, I would have bought a Shirley trailer over 10 years ago when I lived in Tucson. Instead, I did without a stick burner until I jumped in with both feet. Don't repeat my mistake by waiting years to make a choice!

That indecision did fuel my passion for WSMs though so it wasn't all bad! :grin:

Thanks for the feedback. It's funny how the buying process can go. I think I have eliminated the Jambo and going with a Shirley or LSG (and small chance of a Bison). Now to decide which one. ha

I know I’m not the OP.

I’ve decided I’m going with the LSG when I go with it. Not sure if the 20x36-42 or 24x36.

I can go with the 20 and a couple of things for the same price, or bare model for the 24. It’s pushing my budget as is. I like the multi function firebox

Back