Rec Tec Cookers

BBQscott

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, happy 4th of July eve! I have been trying to search here for a comparison of the Rec Tec cooker vs the Green mountain cookers and haven’t seen a lot of info between them. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with these cookers, especially recently since it seems hoppers change a lot over time. My main concern is build quality, it seems the rec Tec are built better and also cost more then the GMG but I cannot find anywhere how think the metal is on their rt-700 model. If their is another pellet cooker around the 1k-1,200 dollar mark I wouldn’t mind looking at other options either. It just seems these two get mentioned the most around her. I do know that mak grills is the best of the best but boy are they expensive! Thank you guys for reading this wall of text, happy cooking!

I own 2 RT700’s and wouldn’t buy anything else. These things are built very well and cook great.

Highly recommend Rectec.

I own 2 RT700’s and wouldn’t buy anything else. These things are built very well and cook great.

Highly recommend Rectec.

How thick is the metal? Is the body a decent gauge? Thanks for the reply.

Some quick measurements on my 680 (which is much more substantial than my brother's Traeger at the same time).
Door 2.75mm / .1080"
Side 1.52mm / .0600"
Barrel 2.08mm / .0820"

Some quick measurements on my 680 (which is much more substantial than my brother's Traeger at the same time).
Door 2.75mm / .1080"
Side 1.52mm / .0600"
Barrel 2.08mm / .0820"

Thanks for the measurements! I'm glad they're thicker than a Traegar.

Highly recommend Rectec.

I own 1 RT700 and second everything Freda says.
Great, trouble free pellet pooper.

As a 590 owner, I couldn't be happier.

I did a few experimental cooks trying the no wrap method and noticed the 590 cooks a little dry. Maybe with a bunch more cooks on it, that will change.

In the meantime, I will be wrapping everything or maybe utilizing a water pan for another experiment.

The cooker and controller are top notch.

I live basically in a swamp with humidity during the summer 90+% ALL the time and haven't noticed any pellet swell or auger issues.

I recently replaced my 8 year old GMG Jim Bowie with a RT 590. I stepped down in size since my primary smoker is a Humphreys Pint.

I switched from a GMG because I wanted a change to see what else is out there. To me, the fit and finish of the Rec Tec is better than the GMG.

I have only had it a few weeks but the controller on the Rec Tec seems far more consistent than the GMG. It is set it and forget it at startup instead of having to wait to come up to 150 degrees before selecting a temp. I also don't get the wild temp swings in the RT while still getting a ton of smoke.

If the wifi controller interests you, the Rec Tec is far superior to the GMG. I had connection issues all of the time with the GMG and have had no issues with the RT. This was not a deal breaker for me but was nice to have. You also have 2 meat temp probes with the RT.

The pellet hopper is slightly larger on the Rec Tec. The cooking chamber is stainless on the RT. I also had rust issues on my GMG but easily painted over them.

After having both I would buy the Rec Tec again in a heartbeat.

I have had many pits over the years from stick traler, wsm, Humphrey battle box etc... I went to REC TEC and have not looked back... You can see what i have in my signature. I can tell you I added a Smoke Daddy cold smoker generator to my BFG and ruined a step drill bit trying to drill through the stainless steele body. That thing is a beast!

I got replaced my traeger with an RT-700 and couldn't be happier. In my head, Rec Tec is way ahead in pellet grills. I will 2nd and 3rd what others have said above.

I got replaced my traeger with an RT-700 and couldn't be happier. In my head, Rec Tec is way ahead in pellet grills. I will 2nd and 3rd what others have said above.

What's the meat capacity on the RT-700? Just in terms of pork butts - 6? 8?

What's the meat capacity on the RT-700? Just in terms of pork butts - 6? 8?

I would imagine you could squeeze 12 in there depending on the size of them.

I can get six in my 590.

You can buy a Rec Tec with absolute confidence. You are getting a high quality grill for a good price. The only negative is that it is made in China and that their marketing and following is a little dorky and cult like. Very happy with my 590.

Pros:
Convenient/ease of use
consistency - temps are spot on and stay there
Quality - very well built grill. Nothing on this grill suggests "cheap"
Flavor - excellent. Not as good as a stick burner, but plenty good
wifi - love having this feature. and it works every time

cons:
Not great at high heat cooking but not an issue. My Primo takes that job
Made in China - not a big deal to me, honestly

Love my Rec Tec. Like others have said, lots of stainless, great controller, and great customer service at a reasonable price point. You won't be sorry if that's the way you go.

RecTec is miles ahead of GMG, that's for sure. There's just no way I'd ever give them my money. I'd go with a Grilla Silverbac personally, but I'm sure if you bought a grill with horns you'd be just as happy as any of these other people.

On my 680 I can squeeze 6 on but, each has it's own foil pan which takes up a good amount of space.
Yep - 6 and you gotta use pans or else rotate them vigorously- they will be hanging of the edges of the drip pan boundaries and the edges that are would
Cook awful quick - or burn..... I really like my 700 for convenience but I like more depth in my smoke profile... gonna try a tube helper.....

Back