The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Easter ham. Rubbed with brown sugar and basted with apple butter. Smoked at 275 deg for 2 hours. The MHC blend really complimented the flavor profile of the ham and everyone said this was by far the best ham they’ve eaten. Also had some left over pulled pork smoked on the pellet grill and that 100% wood flavor smoke really came through. Love my Mak! My only complaint is that it isn’t fun to use like my Weber kettle, my late kamado, or my late stickburner. However, if I’m trying to impress a bunch of people the Mak gets the call every time. Everyone was also eyeballing my new campchef 900 griddle. I need to try that thing out soon!

Last edited:
Easter ham. Rubbed with brown sugar and basted with apple butter. Smoked at 275 deg for 2 hours. The MHC blend really complimented the flavor profile of the ham and everyone said this was by far the best ham they’ve eaten. Also had some left over pulled pork smoked on the pellet grill and that 100% wood flavor smoke really came through. Love my Mak! My only complaint is that it isn’t fun to use like my Weber kettle, my late kamado, or my late stickburner. However, if I’m trying to impress a bunch of people the Mak gets the call every time. Everyone was also eyeballing my new campchef 900 griddle. I need to try that thing out soon!

That looks fantastic!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As I posted in another thread, I was thinking of selling my Daniel Boone, but after a weekend riding a WSM, I've decided to keep it. The smoke profile on the WSM is comparatively stronger, but I've gotten to like the subtle profile of the DB as well. I'm still a pooper guy!

As I posted in another thread, I was thinking of selling my Daniel Boone, but after a weekend riding a WSM, I've decided to keep it. The smoke profile on the WSM is comparatively stronger, but I've gotten to like the subtle profile of the DB as well. I'm still a pooper guy!

I like both my kettle and pooper. Both are very different. It helps to mix things up a bit

looking forward to seeing how this worked out

It worked out well. The Temps from the PB probe were very stable, but the ambient probe from my fireboard was about 15 deg lower. I think it might be where the Pit boss probe tip was positioned was slightly higher then the lower grate where i put the fireboard probe. Either way the temp did not drop or raise any higher on either probe. Extreme smoke (LO) had a nice steady blue smoke that would last a few min every 10 min or so Temp was about 180F at grate level with Fireboard ( this was the best feature) After a 4 hour cook session of 300F there was barely any ashes. A tiny bit in the bottom of the firepot. I hate to say it, but it Performs way better then my timberline 1300. The only issue is the shutdown cycle. It works find, but when i lift the diffuser after the shutdown cycle, there is a handful of completely unlit pellets. The only idea i could come up with is the Rec Tec augers are smaller then the Pit boss and for some reason after the shutdown cycle, the auger drops more pellets after the igniter and lit pellets have burned out.

I’m a newbie to pellet cooking and have heard horror stories about pellets left in the hopper too long between cooks, absorbing moisture and encasing the auger in hardened pellets. Curious to know what y’all consider “too long”. I don’t want to find out the hard way. Lol.

I’m a newbie to pellet cooking and have heard horror stories about pellets left in the hopper too long between cooks, absorbing moisture and encasing the auger in hardened pellets. Curious to know what y’all consider “too long”. I don’t want to find out the hard way. Lol.

My Yoder has had pellets in it, since the day I got it. It's getting close to 2 years old. No problems yet.

I have never once emptied my hopper in-between uses... and I have never once had pellets go bad. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but I have never once experienced it. As to how long is to long... not sure there’s a written rule. Use your cooker at least a few times/mo and you should be fine. I’ve had periods where I went probably close to a month (that’s extremely rare) and still no issues whatsoever.

Never had a problem with pellets left in the hopper live in humid as heck FL and fairly close to the water so humidity, fog in the spring, rain in the summer and salt air, have a pellet dump and have never used it. I try to cook something on the PG at least every two weeks at a minimum but looking at my last cook it will be 3 weeks this weekend so I think I need to find something to cook on the PG this weekend. :shocked:

Weber Kettle has been getting all the love. :icon_blush:

Never had a problem, that being said though, we probably cook on ours 3 or 4 times a wwwk...

From reading I've done on this topic, as long as your cooker is decent quality and doesn't have a lot of warped, thin metal walls that let in moisture, the only likelihood of humidity-damaged pellets is if you leave the augur full of pellets for several months during a wet/humid season. They will slowly (slowly!) absorb moisture from the air. If you use a non-breathable cover during this time, which could trap condensation, it could be worse, or happen quicker.

My plan for my MAK is to leave it full of pellets while it's in moderate use (every 1-3 weeks), and then empty it out when I cover it up for the winter.

My plan for my MAK is to leave it full of pellets while it's in moderate use (every 1-3 weeks), and then empty it out when I cover it up for the winter.

Cover it up for the winter? Send it my way when it gets to chilly for you to want to use it. I'll make sure it stays in practice until you need it back.

Getting excited, picking up Robbs 2017 MAK Saturday am. Headed up Friday mid day meting him early Saturday and hauling azz back Saturday with a potential hook up with brother Sirporkalot. Will fire up up the MAK Sunday :dancer::dancer::dancer:

Getting excited, picking up Robbs 2017 MAK Saturday am. Headed up Friday mid day meting him early Saturday and hauling azz back Saturday with a potential hook up with brother Sirporkalot. Will fire up up the MAK Sunday :dancer::dancer::dancer:

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your comparison between it and the traeger.

Besides being a great deal that is the main reason. I need to know what I've been missing. Gonna work with the MAK and park the Traeger for a bit then maybe a little side by side testing. Winner stays loser goes.

Cover it up for the winter? Send it my way when it gets to chilly for you to want to use it. I'll make sure it stays in practice until you need it back.

From reading I've done on this topic, as long as your cooker is decent quality and doesn't have a lot of warped, thin metal walls that let in moisture, the only likelihood of humidity-damaged pellets is if you leave the augur full of pellets for several months during a wet/humid season. They will slowly (slowly!) absorb moisture from the air. If you use a non-breathable cover during this time, which could trap condensation, it could be worse, or happen quicker.

Was just thinking the same... cover up a MAK for the winter? Man that’s pretty much my favorite grilling/smoking season. Cool outside and no flies... lol.

If you want to see something amazing, just take a couple of pellets, put them on the ground and hit them with a spritz of water, it only takes a little. Then watch what happens.

Back