Tailgate Pulled Pork, Keri's Beans, Cock of The Walk slaw

A

AlbuQue

My son has asked me to provide some cooking for his college tailgate party for the UNM vs. Texas A&M game tomorrow for about 50 people. I plan on around 25-30 pounds of pork butt, triple batch of Keri's Beans and the cole slaw. I plan on smoking meat all night tonight in my UDS. I haven't done butts all night before. Should I use the UDS as is or should I put in my water pan (16" clay plate)? Will the butts be ok at 220 all night without turning if I don't use the water pan? Or should I wake-up and turn them (no problem)? Also, they will eat at around noon so I plan on coolering until about 10:30, pull, keep warm in oven and take down so he can keep warm on his offset until time to eat. Any advice from you UDS pros will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mick

Don't own a UDS but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express ! When should I be there for eating? LOL

I do butts overnight in my UDS. I shoot for 200 on gauge on side (gives @230 grate). Fat cap down, not here to turn, ready in am when I get home. I wrap in foil and cooler and pull when I wake up. Third shifter mod.

I don't turn and also put fat cap side down. Pull off the smoker, when internal temp of 195 is reached and then foil and coolered, until ready to pull. Don't forget the pron!

Same here. Put it on and go to sleep. That's the beauty of a UDS. Never use a waterpan. You want that fat dripping in the fire!

Thank you Brethern! That's the plan! How long should it take? All butts are right at 7 lbs.

I smoked 3 8lb butts and an 11lb brisket in my UDS last weekend. Took 23 hours, but I probably could have pulled a little sooner.

I did 2 8 lb buts and a 12 lb brisket last weekend, I load it, watch it for maybe an hour and then go to sleep.
you will get a spike now and then but not to worry it will level its self out.
took 14 hours with the temp on the rack at about 230 to 250.
THE DRUMS ROCK!!!!!

Three hours in. Three butts on top with three more under them.

90508001.jpg

90508002.jpg

I like your menu choice. From the pron, it looks like you are gonna blow their socks off.

12 hours now. They are at around 185 internal. I'm beginning to wonder if they'll get done. Dinner time is in 4 hours. I've cranked the grill temp to 255. I probably will need to foil pretty soon. This cook had a tremendous among of smoke, more than usual. I'm guessing it was due to the 6 butts all dripping on the coals.

90508003.jpg

I think you need to be more concerned about the internal temperature than if they all make it to the foil and cooler. If you remove them too early you will have chopped pork instead of pulled pork.

Lookin' really tasty, though... Pics of the party later?

I think you need to be more concerned about the internal temperature than if they all make it to the foil and cooler. If you remove them too early you will have chopped pork instead of pulled pork.

Lookin' really tasty, though... Pics of the party later?

I thought that if I foiled they would speed up a little bit.

Looks good! I am rooting for the Aggies down here in Houston, and I have a brisket smoking right now.

You guys are no doubt going to give us a good game. I wish I could say that it would be a walk through for us, but not this year.

Gig'em Aggies!

You can foil them now and put them back on the smoker. They will reach pulling temp faster.

Well I needed to pull 1 of them for my Keri's Beans and at a probe temp of 188 it pulled pretty good. Other 5 are foiled and back on the smoker.

90508004.jpg

Back