London broil

Shady

Knows what a fatty is.
It's the season when London Broil is less than $2 a pound. Even on my best attempts its come out slightly above average. I was going to try to cook it like a brisket. Inject it, rub it, cook @ 225 till tender. Anyone have a recepie that has come out to be something that became your go to?

Most of what is sold around here as "London Broil" is Top Round, although the term can also apply when using Flank Steak. Either way they are both tougher cuts of meat by nature. . I get my best results with Top Round by marinating them for at least 8 hours, then cooking them on high heat over the charcoal to medium rare / medium. Going past medium leaves you with a tasteless tough piece of meat.

It is also important to make sure you cut across the grain to insure an easy bite. Top round is a lean piece of a larger muscle with little or almost no marbling. It is best cooked hot but not long enough to dry it out and lose that beefy flavor.

Italian dressing with a little Worcestershire works fine. Sometimes I'll add some dry powder from Lipton's Onion Soup mix to the Italian dressing just for added flavor.

Article: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/effed-it-up-london-broil

also: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/effed-it-up-london-broil

Last edited:
Several different cuts can be labeled as London Broil.

We cook it often and like it. With a family of seven it's cost efficient and good.
I cook these steaks in one of two ways.

I set up the grill for a two zone fire. I apply Montreal Steak Seasoning and then sear the steaks on Grill Grates and get a nice cross hatch pattern. Then I cook indirect by moving the steak to the cooler zone. I fill flip the steaks once while on the cool zone. We cook the steaks to 130 to 135 degrees. The steaks rest for a while and are then sliced thin.

The second way we cook them is with the Sou Vide.
The steaks are put in a ziplock bag and put into a water bath. The Sou Vide is set to 133 Degrees. We usually let them cook in the water bath for two and a half hours. We then take them out of the water bath and dry them with a paper towel. A thin coat of oil is applied and then we sprinkle on some Montreal Steak Seasoning. The steaks are then finished in a cast iron pan or over some hot coals on the Weber kettle. If we use the cast iron pan, I will spoon melted butter over them once they have achieved the color and Char coating that I am looking for. We buy our London Broil steaks from Costco and they are usually thick.

I hate to say it, but it can be hard to go back to fully grilling steaks after using the Sou Vide. This little toy makes cooking steaks idiot proof as they turn out amazing when using the Sou Vide.

The attached photo's show London Broil cooked on the Weber Kettle.

20150214_184541.jpg

20140831_181404.jpg

20141221_183209.jpg

20150214_194817.jpg

20150214_195113.jpg

Per Wiki...

Although American butchers may label a cut of meat "London broil", the term does not refer to a specific cut of meat but to a method of preparation and cookery. Butchers may label top round steak or roast as London broil.

Had London Broil yesterday....

London%20Broil%203_zpsequ7sgop.jpg

Erver since tri-tips have become available around here, ive given up on london broil.

but when i cooked them, i did the same as bbq mafia.. grill hard for a few mins then move to a cool spot and finish.. but we pulled at 125-130 and let them rest.

I like to hit them hard with a jaccard....do a marinade of soy, Worcester, a little vinegar, a little sugar and a whole lot of sliced onion.....grill it hot, good char but still rare, cook the onions from the marinade in some butter and serve it all with chimichurri sauce.

Back