61 Day Wet Aged Brisket

Hotch

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I picked up a very nice 14lb brisket from Sean at Charred380 for the 2021 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash. But life got in the way and did not have time to cook prior to the Bash. I like cooking Hot and Fast and not knowing what we would be cooking at the Bash it stayed behind.

So Friday was day 61 that I had it in the garage fridge getting all happy and giddy! I took it out of the bag and it smelled like Beef! So we were good to go. I'm a SuckleBusters guy all the way so a light base layer Texas Pecan Rub, light sprinkle of SPG and a heavy dose of 1836 Beef Rub. Wrapped it up and let it happy again overnight.

Up at 6:00am to light the best offset cooker ever, my Shirley Fabrication 24x42, and then the rain came pouring down! for 2 hours!! Finally got Shirley fired up. This time I used all the bark that shed off of my post oak I've been saving to use as kindling instead of charcoal briquettes. It worked great.

Like I said, hot and fast for me 280-300. When Shirley hits 270 on the temp gauges it's +20-25 more in the center of the racks. So at 8:30 brisket goes on, fat side down. 3 hours never touched it. At 11:30am I panned it, sitting the brisket on a cooling rack, poured in 3 cans of Campbell’s Condensed Beef Consomme and double foiled it with temp probes inserted. Set the alarm to 205. At 1:00pm the alarm sounded so I checked temp in multiple locations with trusty Thermoworks thermapen had a few still at 197-199 and a bit tight. Let it go for 30 more minutes. Hit it with the thermapen and probed like butter in the flat and jello in the point!

Pulled it, removed the foil and rested on the counter for 20 minutes. Then tented with foil and into my Smoken Products Flavor Savor it went. Shelly was out running around getting party favors for our son's 40th birthday. She got back around 4:00pm.

So time to bust out the brisket. I started to part it out as we like to portion big proteins at around 1lb each. Then vac-seal them and toss in the freezer to sous vide at a later date for lunch or dinner.

It was amazingly very moist, incredibly tender and one of the top 3 briskets I have ever tasted.

I worked the numbers on it. So 14lb, 61 day wet aged, trimmed 4 lbs, 5 hour cook, 2.5 hour rest and netted 6lbs of top notch brisket packaged @ 1lb each.

So now the money side, at a BBQ restaurant around here, great brisket goes for $28.00 a lb. So I have finished product worth $168.00, not including tip and taxes.
Thanks for looking! :mrgreen:

2021-06-11-002.jpg

2021-06-11-003.jpg

2021-06-11-005.jpg

2021-06-12-007.jpg

2021-06-12-009.jpg

2021-06-12-011.jpg

2021-06-12-013.jpg

2021-06-12-015.jpg

2021-06-12-020.jpg

2021-06-12-022.jpg

That's a great looking brisket. Did you start the age time from the kill date or purchase date? The last one I bought had 25 days on it, usually they are 10 or 12 days old.

That's a great looking brisket. Did you start the age time from the kill date or purchase date? The last one I bought had 25 days on it, usually they are 10 or 12 days old.
It was from the purchase date. I had no clue on the harvest date. That said I watched it in the fridge and absolutely no change in the myoglobin or the small air bubble I was watching. Usually I would only go 30-35 days not knowing the harvest date. But he goes through a lot of briskets so I was betting I was good.

I went about 60 days from purchase in a dedicated meat fridge and mine sneed pretty bad when I opened it. I didn’t intend for it to go that long but time flies. Glad yours turned out better than mine, looks great.

Nicely done! I've never tried wet aging. Looks like a good one.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

You mean we all missed out on that brisket!!! Dang man, that's what I came there for. I guess now I'll have to come back. And to correct your calculations, it wasn't 6 lbs. of top notch brisket, it was 6 lbs of "top Hotch" brisket.

It was from the purchase date. I had no clue on the harvest date. That said I watched it in the fridge and absolutely no change in the myoglobin or the small air bubble I was watching. Usually I would only go 30-35 days not knowing the harvest date. But he goes through a lot of briskets so I was betting I was good.

I'm in the 30 day camp too, and although I've heard mention of watching for bubbles in the cryo, and of course to be mindful of the odor when opening.... I've never had any weirdness what-so-ever.

Thats a great looking Brisket, both before and after.

Did you store in a Umai bag or just regular vac. suk?
Ed

Back