I Smell Like Smoke

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I haven't been able to BBQ since January and have had 2 butts on the cooker since 10:30PM last night. I just threw 4 slabs of ribs on and I smell like a forrest fire. I couldn't be happier and might even shed a tear.

Depriving myself of this great hobby for so long has really made me appreciate it even more.

I'll throw down some pics in a minute when I pull one of my butts.

UPDATE 1:

Little butt almost ready to pull off the smoker. Big butt has about 10 degrees to go. I've also got 4 slabs of ribs up top that I'll show later. :D

I prefer bone-in, but I can only get boneless at WholeFoods, and the quality of that meat more than makes up for it.

IMG_1170.jpg

UPDATE 2:

Pulled both butts about an hour apart. Here is Butt #1
IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

...and Butt #2

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

I decided to make some Moink Balls:

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

I've also got some ribs that I need to go foil. More updates coming soon!

Update 3:

Ribs: My ribs haven't looked like this before, but I haven't ever used a rack. I also used some SM Cherry. I'm a little concerned that I put too much smoke on them since I had to reload after the butts and had a bit of a flare-up. I put a little brown sugar in with the foil to cut the smoke with some sweet if that becomes an issue.

IMG_1182.jpg

Moinks moinking.

IMG_1183.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome home, brother! Looking forward to the pron!

I hear ya bro. I guess I have a double standard. I hate leaving a restaurant with the smell of Q or Mexican food on my cloths. But I find it a sense of testosterone fuel when I smell like the smoke off my pit.

I smoked a pork loin yesterday and smelled like smoke as well, and I loved it. It's been a bad winter and it felt great to get it going again yesterday.

So we were supposed to have a couple of neighbors over. Now it appears that the whole damned neighborhood is coming over. So much for leftovers... :shock:

Those pork butts looks beautiful and the ball was ok for moink ball

Great job! When you break the ice you do it right!

Thanks guys, I wasn't able to get good pics because everyone came over and I was frantically trying to get both butts pulled, the ribs cut, the cole slow tossed and the moinks done. Holy crap it was like Thanksgiving. I only got a pic of the Moinks, which everyone freaked out about.

The ribs had the perfect pull and were flawless, but my wife complained that the didn't fall off the bone... whatever. The butts were good, but a big dry for my taste. This is what happens when you get boneless. The fools at the store screw with the fat inside the meat. I had no fat veins ih the meat to remove and the meat was dryer than I'd like. They were still among my best butts ever. On suggestions from the forum here, I got some Hawaiian buns. They were great. Overall, it was a great success.

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

Back