Behind the Home-Butchering Craze

Interesting read.

I helped a friend process a 1000 lb. steer not too long ago. It wasn't really by choice. The steer got spooked being loaded and in the end had to be put down. We lucked out that we had several days of sub freezing weather, a John Deer loader, a bunch of freezers, and a chainsaw. And most importantly David Bouska's phone #! The advice I got from David helped a lot!

When we started I learned that I'd forgotten most of what I learned watching my grandfather. I learned that it's a lot different than processing game animals that I'm familiar with. I learned that the sheer size of the animal becomes a huge issue. I learned that if I ever intend to do that regularly I'll have to invest in a walk in cooler, because I'm just not fast enough to process a large animal in August here in Texas. I also learned that a little Jack Russel will bark at the head for hours if allowed.

Even though "Norman" wasn't finished on grain, the ground beef has a much better flavor than what I can buy in the grocery store. The Cabela's grinder, will grind as fast as I can feed it, and I can control the true amount of fat. Maybe we will have a walk in, by the time the calf we're partners in is ready. His name is Zip-Loc.

Interesting read.

I helped a friend process a 1000 lb. steer not too long ago. It wasn't really by choice. The steer got spooked being loaded and in the end had to be put down. We lucked out that we had several days of sub freezing weather, a John Deer loader, a bunch of freezers, and a chainsaw. And most importantly David Bouska's phone #! The advice I got from David helped a lot!

When we started I learned that I'd forgotten most of what I learned watching my grandfather. I learned that it's a lot different than processing game animals that I'm familiar with. I learned that the sheer size of the animal becomes a huge issue. I learned that if I ever intend to do that regularly I'll have to invest in a walk in cooler, because I'm just not fast enough to process a large animal in August here in Texas. I also learned that a little Jack Russel will bark at the head for hours if allowed.

Even though "Norman" wasn't finished on grain, the ground beef has a much better flavor than what I can buy in the grocery store. The Cabela's grinder, will grind as fast as I can feed it, and I can control the true amount of fat. Maybe we will have a walk in, by the time the calf we're partners in is ready. His name is Zip-Loc.

Fresh beef is always the tastiest. I try to buy only enough to use within a few days, so I'm never freezing it.

Interesting read.

I helped a friend process a 1000 lb. steer not too long ago. It wasn't really by choice. The steer got spooked being loaded and in the end had to be put down. We lucked out that we had several days of sub freezing weather, a John Deer loader, a bunch of freezers, and a chainsaw.

Chainsaw??? Sounds rather messy! How do you keep from getting bar oil on the meat? :becky:

Fresh beef is always the tastiest. I try to buy only enough to use within a few days, so I'm never freezing it.

That is a great way to do it especially if you are only cooking for one or two people. On the other hand I am cooking for 5 with 1 male 15 yo. I is amazing how much he can eat no matter how much we cook its gone at the end of the meal. We have 50 head of Black Angus. Most go to the sale barn (not BobBrisket) We keep some and sell some to friends and neighbors locally. We luckily have a Mennonite meat processor that is very loyal, quick and awesomely clean. He also vacs sacks it..... It does taste better than store bought by far. Even after freezing.

Chainsaw??? Sounds rather messy! How do you keep from getting bar oil on the meat? :becky:

Clean bar, clean chain, and veggie oil. Only used it to quarter it.

Nice read. Interesting timing, we're butchering 3 hogs this weekend!

I use a Sawsall with a 12" blade

I buy all my pork and beef from two local farmers in Southwest Missouri. I started buying locally from farmers that don't us growth hormones. I made the switch when my wife was pregnant with our first daughter. Better meat and a lower cost...just makes sense.

Fresh beef is always the tastiest.

Really? I'd guess dry-aging then grinding would result in the tastiest ground beef. Never tried though. I usually buy whole cuts when cheap, vacuum seal and deep freeze. Then I'll grind em up if I want ground beef.

Is there any info here about dry-aging at home? That would be some interesting reading.

Back