Nitrided cast iron?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've just heard today about a place that sells nitrogen hardened cast iron skillets. Very reasonably priced, and they advertise a very smooth surface, which my Lodge does not have. Supposed to never need re-seasoning. Also supposed to be lighter. Anybody know anything about them? I guess it's a process used in a lot of metals.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/lehmans-nitrogen-hardened-cast-iron-skillet/

I've never heard of them. Maybe Adams has and will jump in?

I've never heard of it being done to cast iron pans. I do like they're up front about the origin of manufacture. I wish more vendors did that.

They say the nonstick surface lasts as long as the pan. Nowhere do they say how long the pan lasts...

If it sounds too good to be true...........
However, it's not the worst way to spend 30 bucks.

Good point. I've had more expensive experiments.

But I already have three cast iron - one 10", one 12" and one grill pan. All Lodge.

Made in China tells me you're going to get exactly what you pay for. I've heard of nitride finish on firearms parts but never on cookware?

I had a nitrided skillet I picked up at TJ Maxx several years ago; I liked it. It seemed more like carbon steel than cast iron, and was much more rust resistant. I think it got left in a condo a few years ago; would probably pick up another if I found one.

https://www.metallurgyfordummies.com/nitriding-how-it-works.html

"Nitriding is a case hardening process that depends on the absorption of nitrogen into the steel. All machining, stress relieving, as well as hardening and tempering are normally carried out before nitriding. The parts are heated in a special container through which ammonia gas is allowed to pass.

The ammonia splits into hydrogen and nitrogen and the nitrogen reacts with the steel penetrating the surface to form nitrides. Nitriding steels offer many advantages: a much higher surface hardness is obtainable when compared with case-hardening steels; they are extremely resistant to abrasion and have a high fatigue strength."

I sanded one of my pans years ago, didn't like the coarse surface. It seasoned fine an the seasoning is bomb proof, I use a metal spatula and scrape vigorously, I do it to scrape off things that stick and in the beginning I did it just because it helps create a better seasoned surface. Survival of the fittest, in principle. Things don't really stick anymore, potatoes on high heat are the worst, but eggs never stick for me.

Cast iron structure is porous so it can still season even without the coarse surface. If you look at older cast iron pans you'll see they often have a machined inside. Stopping that was a cost savings measure.

I don't own any teflon, just cast iron and stainless steel.

For no more than they cost if I needed one, I would give it a shot. I've thrown away a lot more coin than that on cooking gadgets.

I wonder how the nitriding process would work on cast iron dutch ovens used for cooking chili or other acidic foods. :roll:

Lodge's Blacklock series, I believe, is smooth. Still made here too.

I had never heard of it. Introduced in 2019.
I have been to a lodge store since then, surprised I didn’t see any, but will look out for it.

As above thirty bucks won't bankrupt you. I have 100+ year old Wagner and Griswold up to several Lodge Pre-Season to a Lodge 2qt CI-DO bought recently. None are magic, but most what we cook in CI is agreeably edible. My son and DIL I've gifted vintage CI. Have not seen it since as they prefer carbon steel skillets-- like from France. Cannot recall the brand.
Your house Your Rules, get it and let us know. But if I was handed cash with orders to spend it on a skillet I'd be hitting up the antique stores or FB Market looking for a decent vintage Wagner Sidney O or Griswold made before about 1961.

Last edited:
Never heard of nitrided CI until this thread. At that price would be worth a shot.

Have a carbon steel Lodge skillet that I like better than their CI. Care of both is about the same. The CS isn't as porous and cleans up easier and better.

Never heard of Blacklock either. Would be interested to hear experiences with it.

Back