Barrel smoker vs UDS

J

JamesTX

I have a NB barrel type smoker (is that the right terminology?). Anyway, my wife is getting tired of smoked meat, so I was wondering, does meat done on a UDS taste different than on the NB? I was thinking it'd have more of a grilled flavor.

Thanks.
James

If you want a different taste than smoked meat, I'd recommend getting a Weber Kettle and grilling away.

I have an NB offset and a UDS and they don't taste significantly different.

I don't have either but IMHO, you could more than likely get away with either less wood or a milder wood... That may cut down on the 'flavor issues'... I used to have the same problem with a GF a few years back... went with more cherry and less hickory and she was fine with it...

Of course you could always get rid of the wife like I did with the GF... That makes some things a lot easier (but others more difficult)....

Divemaster has a point. My wife didn't like smoked meat until I stopped using Mesquite and switched to fruit woods.

Yeah because the meat drips on the fire, unlike an offset smoker. Also, I grill on my UDS. Alittle more heat and a little lower grill is all it takes.

Save you up some cash and buy a demo Big Green Egg at Eggfest when it comes to Austin.

One question comes to mind, are you over smoking the meat:confused:

Well, I beg to differ. I had a New Braunfels Silver Smoker that I did every Mod you can think of to it, and was real proud of my efforts. At the same time I built my first UDS after seeing Bigmistas balcony drumpron.

I did nothing but fight and babysit the offset each time I used it and was very disappointed with the results, but with my UDS it was joy and happiness my first cook on.

The meats cooked on the Drum are unlike any of my other cookers, the drum has a flavor all its own. I did BBBacon on my BGE and on the UDS and my family can tell the difference between the two and prefer the drum hacon best.

I tried not to lose hope on the New Braunfels, but I found it not suited to my needs and reluctantly sold it and it was for the best, it was my goal to use it competing, but that would have been a big mistake!

With the Drum you can do low n slow or get grill temps of 350* if you want. And if you use a small charcoal ring it makes it even more versatile and fuel efficient.

You don't HAVE to add smoke wood- tea or woody herbs are a different change of pace.

I believe there is a difference from my offset and any of my barrels. The offset, to me anyway, has a smokier flavor. The barrel has a very good but yet less smoky flavor IMHO.

my wife has medical issues and started having problems with the smoke and heartburn. I began using apple chunks (less of it also) and also foiled earlier to cut back on bark. It helped alleviate most of the issues,

I agree with Swamp... In my opinion there is a very different taste of food off of the UDS. Even When you are cooking you will notice a very sweet smell. I don't know exactly how to explain it but I call it that old time BBQ taste.

You don't HAVE to add smoke wood- tea or woody herbs are a different change of pace.
I couldn't agree more... I picked up a cheap cast iron 'smoke box' and have been known to skip the wood and put sage, rosemary, and thyme stems that have been soaked in a sweet white wine into the box and place it in a 'cooler' section of the fire box for pork loin roasts... it is a completely different flavor...

Back