When a Grill Becomes Part of the Land (Meadow Creek chicken cooker)

charcoalwilly

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I was visiting family back in Maine this summer. Mainers are famous for amassing collections of junk in their yards, which occasionally include some real gems. My brother’s yard is no exception. His eclectic collection includes a Meadow Creek Chicken Cooker that seems to have taken root in the Land. He claims that a bolt of lightning caused the tires to go flat :grin:

The irony is that the chicken coming off this grill keeps getting better every year as the cooker grows uglier (kind of like me?). If you’ve never cooked on a MC chicken cooker you really should put it on your bucket list. Turning a massive grate filled with 30lbs of chicken as the fat drips down onto the coals 18” below is a memorable experience. The smells are fantastic, especially if you are mopping the chicken with a Cornell-style baste. The smoke and steam billowing out of the cooker is a sight to behold! (unless you live in the burbs :roll:). The only downside is that this cooker seems to work best when cooking for a crowd, filled with at least 35-45 pieces of chicken.

DDEFA1D7-A782-4589-9C4E-1B51F5EC146C.jpg
8081687D-7361-4105-AA71-940B9DD6AD31.jpg
B1DBBAC3-680D-49B9-92D6-E53773D0F33A.jpg

BASTING RECIPE
We use a Cornell/Roadside recipe that has been tweaked over the years. Through trial and error, I have found that brining with a simple salt & sugar bath works far better than the typical Cornell-style marinade in keeping the chicken moist since you are grilling over direct radiant heat during the entire cook. The direct set-up is perfect for bone-in dark meat with its higher fat content. The grill needs about 20-25 lbs of charcoal lit with weed burner.

Here is recipe for the baste applied after each turn of the grate (every 5 minutes or so). To ensure crispy skin, we go easy with the baste and grill with lid open half of the time. Also, like any Cornell cook, no basting during last 10 minutes of cook due to the raw egg in the mixture. Total cook time time is about 40-45 minutes. So tasty!

1 cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp white pepper
½ tsp celery seed
1 raw egg
488FB74E-C51E-4858-995D-17AC4E94DF3C.jpg
92731D24-1768-461A-A928-EBDE0437C543.jpg

Chicken looks great. Will have to give the baste a try.

Chicken looks fantastic! That is a pretty cool cooker! Be pretty hard for me to justify one of those with the Mrs... It was hard enough to talk her into the cooker I already have. :wink:

That is NOT JUNK. Those items are "Yard Art", aging and mellowing with time. Like fine wine.

Sure looks good! And mass turn over is a great idea, especially for chicken cooks.

I'm afraid I'd have to call Bull Sh!t on the lightening strike though. The rubber is still there. :roll:

Glad everybody enjoyed the Chicken! :clap2:

Chicken looks great. Will have to give the baste a try.

It is fantastic mcyork! Just remember to brine the chicken first.

Chicken looks fantastic! That is a pretty cool cooker! Be pretty hard for me to justify one of those with the Mrs... It was hard enough to talk her into the cooker I already have. :wink:

I hear you. This is admittedly one of those cookers that we do not use that often, but it sure is handy when you have a crowd. Once in a blue moon, you will see a used one pop up on Craigs List.

That is NOT JUNK. Those items are "Yard Art", aging and mellowing with time. Like fine wine.

Sure looks good! And mass turn over is a great idea, especially for chicken cooks.

I'm afraid I'd have to call Bull Sh!t on the lightening strike though. The rubber is still there. :roll:

Glad everybody enjoyed the Chicken! :clap2:

Especially those washing machines! :clap2: Yeah, the lightening strike claim cracks me up every time. That’s some good dry Maine humor.

Now, I have one more reason to visit Maine. I heard the chicken was very good...
Nice looking grub.

That chicken looks awesome. I like that cooker too. I think I would definitely give that old cooker a restore before it's too late.

Great looking chicken!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I love chix cooked all kinds of ways, but there's something about direct and set high over coals that just cannot be replicated. So good - and yours looks fantastic. Thanks for posting that baste - this'n is bookmarked!

That chicken looks awesome. I like that cooker too. I think I would definitely give that old cooker a restore before it's too late.
I need to buy some spray paint for my brother’s Christmas present!

Great looking chicken!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks pjtexas!

I love chix cooked all kinds of ways, but there's something about direct and set high over coals that just cannot be replicated. So good - and yours looks fantastic. Thanks for posting that baste - this'n is bookmarked!
I love looking at pictures of those old school cinderblock pits with a pile of chicken on top.

I have a couple of BBQ friends that have those chicken cookers and swear by them. Based on their testimonials, I have always wanted one, but have way too many cookers as it is. Very simple in design, built very well.

Robert

Since this thread's been bumped, I will chime in as the OP. This cooker is truly one of a kind with the flipper. Its hard to beat for large parties.

That said, I don't use it enough because she begs to run full with bag of briquettes. The cooker is so cavernous that it is not very practical for small family. The smaller BBQ26 would probably be the more sensible choice if you're not having large gatherings. I just wish they made the 26 as deep as the 42 because that's part of the reason the chicken turns out so damn good IMO.

Back