The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Well that didn't last long. I've been considering getting a pellet smoker for a while, but only really sold myself on the idea within the last couple days. Now I have that Copperhead 5 sitting in my garage waiting to be assembled. Tried to convince my brother to grab one since he mentioned wanting to make some jerky the other day. He didn't bite.

Got it for $349. Pleased with the $100 discount, but knowing my luck I'll probably see them go on sale for $200 sometime soon.

Drunkenmeatfist, when you’re ready to assemble your PB Copperhead, make sure you open the box while it’s laying on its side and not standing straight up. A portion of the Auger assembly and the controller is at the bottom of the unit and the bottom supports haven’t been attached yet. If You open box while its straight up, the bottom of the unit can easily be damaged.. Assembly shouldn’t be that hard, but if you have a 2nd person with you, that would help make the assembly that much more easier.. That Smoker is kinda heavy... Lastly, go over the instruction manual thoroughly for assembly and the proper preheating procedures for your smoker. Good luck.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Decided to do something different today. I marinated some pork chops (something I’ve haven’t done in a long time) with a balsamic vinegar marinade. Doesn’t sound good but it wasn’t bad actually. Not my favorite though.
These were done at 450 deg with the flame zone which is hotter than I normally grill.
I also suspect the balsamic vinegar played a role in making my pork look like steak lol.
Also just ordered the Weber Kettle 26! Couldn’t resist!

Last edited:
I'd keep it in the box for a few days. Just to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I already had this joker unboxed by the time I read this post and considered the ramifications. The store that I bought it from had two more the other four Walmart's in the area are all full price. I don't know how their clearance works, but I will be checking brickseek regularly. I still have the box and all packing materials so if possible I will pack it all up and do a return to save $250. Meanwhile the joker is getting the burn off now.

I already had this joker unboxed by the time I read this post and considered the ramifications. The store that I bought it from had two more the other four Walmart's in the area are all full price. I don't know how their clearance works, but I will be checking brickseek regularly. I still have the box and all packing materials so if possible I will pack it all up and do a return to save $250. Meanwhile the joker is getting the burn off now.

How did the assembly go for you??

How did the assembly go for you??

Not bad. You were definitely right that having another person would have made it easier. I took my time with it because I was cooking dinner and taking breaks. When I first put the door and latch together I was pretty disappointed. Then a few seconds later I figured out how to adjust it for a good seal. Pretty excited to do my first cook in it. Now I just have to find the best way to store it. Would be great to leave it on my back porch, but there is too much risk of weather hitting it.

So whats the best brand pellet smoker to go with these days based on reliability, consistency, smoke flavor, and parts availability in the next 5+ years? I'm very curious to invest in one of these for the upcoming Summer, as I won't have nearly as much time to regulate a fire on my offset as I do during the Fall/Winter.

So whats the best brand pellet smoker to go with these days based on reliability, consistency, smoke flavor, and parts availability in the next 5+ years? I'm very curious to invest in one of these for the upcoming Summer, as I won't have nearly as much time to regulate a fire on my offset as I do during the Fall/Winter.
You didn't read this thread? :loco:
Mak seems to be king.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not bad. You were definitely right that having another person would have made it easier. I took my time with it because I was cooking dinner and taking breaks. When I first put the door and latch together I was pretty disappointed. Then a few seconds later I figured out how to adjust it for a good seal. Pretty excited to do my first cook in it. Now I just have to find the best way to store it. Would be great to leave it on my back porch, but there is too much risk of weather hitting it.

The best place to store your pellet grill and any pellet grill when not in use is in a garage. Water is a pellet grills worst enemy, always keep it covered with a grill cover and if you have one, use a shop-vac to clean the fire pot/burn pot after every use. Keep it clean and covered and it’ll always put out some fantastic bbq for you.

Based on all the things you mentioned probably a Mak but also look into cookshack, Yoder, Memphis, and Kuma.

The best place to store your pellet grill and any pellet grill when not in use is in a garage. Water is a pellet grills worst enemy, always keep it covered with a grill cover and if you have one, use a shop-vac to clean the fire pot/burn pot after every use. Keep it clean and covered and it’ll always put out some fantastic bbq for you.

I clean the burn pot about every 40# or so. Absolutely not necessary to vac it every time. You are right about water, you really don't want any wind-driven rain to get up under the pellet hopper. That will definitely make pellet concrete.

I tried to do the responsible thing lol.

After a few cooks and figuring out what works for you, I think you will absolutely love it! Where did you order from? Just an FYI that I learned when I bought mine a little over a year ago... do NOT except one with any scratches, chips or dents in the porcelain finish. I bought mine through Amazon and it arrived with a few small scratches/blemishes all the way through the porcelain finish. I called Weber to see if perhaps they had a simple touch up kit so I wouldn’t have to mess with a return. They flat out told me, let’s get this taken care of the correct way. I ended up having a replacement sent from Amazon and sent the bad one back. Weber told me that I would end up regretting a non-perfect kettle as it would be an immediate weak point on an otherwise (darn near) indestructible finish. Gotta love Weber!! If this happens, you may want to hang on to the return until the new arrives. Kind of funny, but I ended up keeping the base of the kettle from the original order and the lid from the new order as they were each the most “perfect” :)

I clean the burn pot about every 40# or so. Absolutely not necessary to vac it every time. You are right about water, you really don't want any wind-driven rain to get up under the pellet hopper. That will definitely make pellet concrete.

With my experience with Pit Boss pellet grills, I’ve found that if the burn pot is kept clean, the Enduser won’t endure wild temp swings as often along with understanding the P settings of their Smokers. The ash buildup in the burn pots effects each Brand of Pellet Grill differntly... Could a PB Pellet Grill Owner wait perhaps after the 2nd or 3rd cook to clean their grills burn pot?? Yes and that’s what Pit Boss recommends. When I got my PB Austin XL, I would wait to clean the burn pot after the 3rd cook... Then my grills temps started to become unstable and I suffered a flame out and a minor fire due to smoldering pellets. After some research of other pellet grill owners going through the same thing, I found that if You keep the burn pot clean and remove any excessive grease buildup, then the Wild Temp Swings and the Flameouts won’t happen... I clean my grills burn pot after every cook now and my grills temps have been Rock Solid. I’ve found that a Shop-Vac is a Pellet Grills best friend and it only takes a few minutes to clean up the mess a cook can leave behind. There’s a learning curve with each brand of pellet grill.. If You keep the burn pots in PB pellet grills clean, they’ll run super stable and put out some fantastic bbq..

So with my Tailgating pooper having a fire pot at the bottom, it’s essential a vertical cooker since everything drafts upward? Even the 4 vent holes are at the top.

After a few cooks and figuring out what works for you, I think you will absolutely love it! Where did you order from? Just an FYI that I learned when I bought mine a little over a year ago... do NOT except one with any scratches, chips or dents in the porcelain finish. I bought mine through Amazon and it arrived with a few small scratches/blemishes all the way through the porcelain finish. I called Weber to see if perhaps they had a simple touch up kit so I wouldn’t have to mess with a return. They flat out told me, let’s get this taken care of the correct way. I ended up having a replacement sent from Amazon and sent the bad one back. Weber told me that I would end up regretting a non-perfect kettle as it would be an immediate weak point on an otherwise (darn near) indestructible finish. Gotta love Weber!! If this happens, you may want to hang on to the return until the new arrives. Kind of funny, but I ended up keeping the base of the kettle from the original order and the lid from the new order as they were each the most “perfect” :)

Thanks for the advice! Weber customer service is legendary. They need their own pellet cooker now!

Back