Smoky Chicken Stock

BuRied

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I just used up my last bag of homemade stock in the freezer and with spring here now I figured instead of roasting the bones in the oven I can do a Q tomorrow and use the carcass for my stock. What are results you have had with making a stock this way if you have done so?

Also I was wondering for pulled chicken what everyones preferred cuts are, thighs/quarters/whole bird? I am going to do 1 whole bird spatchcocked because i want at least that for my stock and then add a bit more meat to the grill based on suggestions.

Lastly, has anyone ever used a smokey stock to enhance/make a bbq?

I don't know about enhancing BBQ, but smoked chicken stock sure makes some killer gumbo!

I do it all the time. It's great. Not overpowering smoke flavor if you are just using the carcass. Whole birds are best.

Save all your bones that you use for smoked pulled chicken and keep them in the freezer until you have enough to make stock. My method is smoked chicken bones (after chicken is pulled) and I keep all my vegetable scraps in in a ziplock in the freezer (onion roots, celery ends, carrot ends, whatever). Once I have enough of each, just chuck them in a pot, put enough cold water in to just cover the bones bring to a simmer until you have a nice stock. Salt to taste, strain, and freeze in portions.

Do the same with your smoked turkey after Thanksgiving. Freeze the stock, and you've got the stock for next year's gravy without having to mess with drippings and all that.

You can use the stock to make bbq sauce if that's what you mean, or to add some moisture to pulled chicken (especially if you are having a big event and want it to keep it moist if it is on a warmer).

I haven't done it chicken, but I save the drippings when I cook a turkey on the Weber, save as much skin as possible, wingtips and bones. This all goes in the pot with the carcass and simmered covered with water a couple of hours. I pull the bones out and the rest, meat and stock, are used to make turkey soup. The smoke from the drippings and skin are killer. Grand sons call it Gramps Awesome Turkey Soup, lol.

I do it all the time. It's great. Not overpowering smoke flavor if you are just using the carcass. Whole birds are best.

Save all your bones that you use for smoked pulled chicken and keep them in the freezer until you have enough to make stock. My method is smoked chicken bones (after chicken is pulled) and I keep all my vegetable scraps in in a ziplock in the freezer (onion roots, celery ends, carrot ends, whatever). Once I have enough of each, just chuck them in a pot, put enough cold water in to just cover the bones bring to a simmer until you have a nice stock. Salt to taste, strain, and freeze in portions.

Do the same with your smoked turkey after Thanksgiving. Freeze the stock, and you've got the stock for next year's gravy without having to mess with drippings and all that.

You can use the stock to make bbq sauce if that's what you mean, or to add some moisture to pulled chicken (especially if you are having a big event and want it to keep it moist if it is on a warmer).

Ok so i've decided i'm going to use two roasting chickens. I wanted to spatchcock them for maximum surface area to get hit with smoke. I'm thinking i'm just gonna toss the backbones on the smoker and get some color and smoke on them while the chickens go, unless I should be concerned about overpowering my stock with smoky flavor?

This is my first time trying to do a "smoked" chicken stock so i'm not sure how things are going to mingle.

Also making some ABT's and a napa sesame slaw to go with. I will update in a few days with how everything goes and if my hands aren't to full with cleaning out the garage I will try to add pictures too!!

Every time I smoke a chicken or turkey I use the carcass for stock. I would definitely say it's not overpowering, but adds a whole other level of flavor for whatever you use it for.

At least monthly, I smoke 2 whole chickens. Save the bones and any uneaten skin and make broth. Soups are great, and it is nice to add broth when cooking rice (vs water), but flat dumplings is what is most requested by my family.

Back