Lower smoker to 200F to promote even cooking in brisket?

jaybert

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a brisket that I put on last night at 9:30pm and the flat is at 172 and the point is at 162 right now. I’d ideally like them to finish at approximately the same time if possible. I’m cooking at 225 now, but if I were to lower the temp to say 200, presumably both the flat and point would eventually hit 200 and then I can raise the temp if it’s still not prove tender. Has anyone tried that? Does this have the downside of drying it out or anything?

Also, any difference between letting it rest in a cooler after it’s finished vs turning the temp down to like 175 and letting it sit in the smoker (wrapped in butcher paper or not):sad: to keep warm? This is on a Kamado joe if it matters

No, you won't see it even out any more cooking 200 vs 225. Point and flat typically get done at the same time and at different temps. They don't need to be the same temp, but both probe smoothy. The point will normally prove even smoother than the flat. Takes time to learn the different feels. Use temp as a guide and then probing smooth at the end. All cooking temps can work great other than the lower end just taking longer. I've done 200 low overnight plenty of times and then bumped in the morning to finish.

The main thing on your resting scenario is how long you will be letting it sit still cooking at 175. Brisket can hold in a cooler for many hours.

No, you won't see it even out any more cooking 200 vs 225. Point and flat typically get done at the same time and at different temps. They don't need to be the same temp, but both probe smoothy. The point will normally prove even smoother than the flat. Takes time to learn the different feels. Use temp as a guide and then probing smooth at the end. All cooking temps can work great other than the lower end just taking longer. I've done 200 low overnight plenty of times and then bumped in the morning to finish.

The main thing on your resting scenario is how long you will be letting it sit still cooking at 175. Brisket can hold in a cooler for many hours.

When you say even out, you mean how close it is to being done vs actual temperature right?

I plan on serving this as an early dinner (+ I need to leave the house for a couple hours) so trying to time the brisket so it finishes when I get back in the 12-1pm range. So at a minimum it sounds like I can lower the temp a bit to slow down the cooking to hit my desired time? I use a temp control unit so I can see and change the temp remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were leaving for a couple of hours, I'd get it finished (probe tender), vent it and stash it in a cooler until serving time. It can rest while you do your thing.

I use a temp control unit so I can see and change the temp remotely.

That is a very cool feature - but to me, it's more valuable at the beginning and middle of a cook. At the finishing stages, I'd be more interested in "is it done" than how my pit is running.

Best of luck

If I were leaving for a couple of hours, I'd get it finished (probe tender), vent it and stash it in a cooler until serving time. It can rest while you do your thing.

I use a temp control unit so I can see and change the temp remotely.

That is a very cool feature - but to me, it's more valuable at the beginning and middle of a cook. At the finishing stages, I'd be more interested in "is it done" than how my pit is running.

Best of luck

The problem with it finishing before is it would end up resting for 6+ hours which is probably fine, but I’d prefer to have it resting more in the 2 range.

Just wrapped the brisket since the bark was looking pretty good. Temps shot up a bit on the kamado joe to 240 so maybe lowering the temp isn’t all that much of an option. These snake river farm briskets are confusing (or more likely briskets in general)...seems like I’ll be close to done at 1hr/lb whereas the last one was closer to 1.5hr/lb.

7a7474f7769663593fdf8cd7b683faee.jpg

I don't recall the last time I took a temp on a brisket. 6 hour hold shouldn't be a problem if you fill the void space in the cooler with some towels. And if the temp starts to drop enough to make you uncomfortable, put it in the oven on "warm".

I don't recall the last time I took a temp on a brisket. 6 hour hold shouldn't be a problem if you fill the void space in the cooler with some towels. And if the temp starts to drop enough to make you uncomfortable, put it in the oven on "warm".

I’m still working my way up to that. Need something to base myself with for now!

I’m still working my way up to that. Need something to base myself with for now!

Gotcha! You'll get there...just don't let the temps hang you up. BBQ is for relaxation... :thumb:

Your brisket looks really good looks like you done a fine job

When you say even out, you mean how close it is to being done vs actual temperature right?

I plan on serving this as an early dinner (+ I need to leave the house for a couple hours) so trying to time the brisket so it finishes when I get back in the 12-1pm range. So at a minimum it sounds like I can lower the temp a bit to slow down the cooking to hit my desired time? I use a temp control unit so I can see and change the temp remotely.

No, meat temp won't even out any more at a lower cooking temp.

At some point it should hit equilibrium where the smoker temp is 200 and the the meat is 200 right? Could take a bit and get there are different times but I’d think you’d eventually be 200 everywhere

At some point it should hit equilibrium where the smoker temp is 200 and the the meat is 200 right? Could take a bit and get there are different times but I’d think you’d eventually be 200 everywhere

It would take a lot longer than standard brisket cooking timelines. Just giving you a tip so you don't chase a ghost.

You're overthinking this. The point and the flat have different percentage of fat and don't need to be the same temp.

The point is more fatty...it can handle more heat as there is more fat to break down. It will feel done way before the flat, which is much leaner. It will be at 203 way before the flat and may even rise to 207-210 before the flat gets to 200. It's fine. Don't worry about the difference in temp.

When I cook chicken it's the same. Dark meat is more fatty. It will get to 180 before the breast hits 165. They both turn our tender and juicy.

Due to many variables, by the time both parts of a brisket are at a temp of 200°F, and inside a cook chamber with a temp of 200°F.....you gonna have some DRY brisket flat.

It sounds to me like you have a simple decision to make: either finish it up early and rest it in a "cooler" while you take care of your errands worry free, or you lower the cook chamber temp this morning so you can know the brisket is in the cooker while you errand and then hope you can get it to where you want it to be...including a rest....before all the diners show up. I'd go with door number one, and wow everyone with a great brisket, and at the time I had specified.

Both parts of the brisket don't need to be the same temperature at the finish.
Good luck with it!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I decided to lower the temp a bit to try and extend the cook. I need to leave in an hr or so and didn’t think I could get it finished in time before I had to leave. I just probed it with the flat reading 190 and still quite quite a bit of resistance. The point is already smooth as butter so just will just pull once the flat goes probe tender.

Thanks again everyone for the advice!

This is factually and scientifically absurd. Even heating may not be necessary for good BBQ, but a lower longer cook will give more even meat temperatures.

This is factually and scientifically absurd. Even heating may not be necessary for good BBQ, but a lower longer cook will give more even meat temperatures.

More even yes, but not dead even during "normal" brisket cooking times. Which I mentioned in a prior post you must have missed.

Sorry to upset your scientific sensibilities :razz:

Read the first page....... In my experience. the flat is normally always lower temp than the point. The point cooks and gets probe tender faster than the flat does but for some reason when the brisket is done the point and flat ends up being the same temp? It's weird

Read the first page....... In my experience. the flat is normally always lower temp than the point. The point cooks and gets probe tender faster than the flat does but for some reason when the brisket is done the point and flat ends up being the same temp? It's weird

I’ve been waiting for the flat to get probe tender. The point is like smooth butter but still getting resistance on the flat on end (ie not below the point)

Back