My New Offset from Big Phil's Smokers

Offsets are all about airflow, and that sucker can breathe-beautiful pit!

I see the elbow in the pull arm as being a weak point.
Needs a gusset welded in the crook.

I see the elbow in the pull arm as being a weak point.
Needs a gusset welded in the crook.

Cholloway: I'll be paying very close attention to all of your posts from here on out because your observation is SPOT ON!!!!

I actually broke the pull arm at that point the very first night I had my smoker when I was pushing it across my flat garage floor. It's at a local welding shop for repairs today (more detail on this to come in my detailed comments coming later).

Everything else besides the pull arm is built like a tank however.

Have admired BP cookers quite a while.

That is a fantastic looking smoker and should give you many years of great cooks. Congrats!

Cholloway: I'll be paying very close attention to all of your posts from here on out because your observation is SPOT ON!!!!

I actually broke the pull arm at that point the very first night I had my smoker when I was pushing it across my flat garage floor. It's at a local welding shop for repairs today (more detail on this to come in my detailed comments coming later).

Everything else besides the pull arm is built like a tank however.

Very glad I saw this post, and right in the nick of time. I have one of his Blue Smoke Smokers that is finished and just awaiting shipping, and it has a removable T bar attached to the barrel under the collector. It has the elbow just like yours.

Funny thing is I saw the below picture on his FB page of another smoker with the T bar and it has a brace welded in at the elbow, apparently yours didn't, and I just looked at the picture he sent me of mine on Friday and mine doesn't have it either. Gonna have to call him on Monday and have him add that before it hits the road on it's way to me!

Funny thing is I saw the below picture on his FB page of another smoker with the T bar and it has a brace welded in at the elbow, apparently yours didn't, and I just looked...

Interesting, the braced version in the photo you posted looks similar to my repaired pull handle. Mine has the bracing/gussetting on both sides of the bar (photo below - sorry about the huge size). Maybe Big Phil will start to make the bracing a standard feature on his new builds.

4oHNDWq.jpeg

Interesting, the braced version in the photo you posted looks similar to my repaired pull handle. Mine has the bracing/gussetting on both sides of the bar (photo below - sorry about the huge size). Maybe Big Phil will start to make the bracing a standard feature on his new builds.

That looks great. I'm going to ask him to do it like that. I need to pull my smoker through my house due to my minimal backyard access due to neighbor issue (see thread in The Woodpile section), and it needs to go up a small 5" ramp to get it up over the stoop, so the T handle is a must. If it snaps, I'm screwed lol.

Back