NonSavaunt

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Ordered a Que-Deville this summer and just heard back from Rob that it will be shipped out this next week - I am beyond excited to receive it finally! I am upgrading from my homemade UDS trio.

I know there will be a learning curve, but anyone have tips on how to run this the most effective way? I normally run my UDS setup hot and fast (300-325*F) with lump charcoal and wood chunks...will I need to go back to low and slow with briquettes and wood chunks with this new setup?

Attachments

• 05096404-D3DC-4B1D-8DA1-7ADBFFE13A69.jpg
    05096404-D3DC-4B1D-8DA1-7ADBFFE13A69.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 76F45D21-873A-40FE-AA7D-3F61161BA618.jpg
    76F45D21-873A-40FE-AA7D-3F61161BA618.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 236
Great choice. I have had mine for over four years now and still love it. Use it all the time.

I smoke most stuff at 275 and 300 for chicken.

I find briquettes run more consistently than lump but both work fine.

I run a FireBoard with a fan to make my life simpler. I set for a temp a bit below my target temp because the FireBoard will overshoot it. Then I will set for my target temp once it gets close.

I haven’t run without the FireBoard since I first got it. It ran fine/stable without it, but I like the control and simplicity the FireBoard added.

Last edited:
Had mine for a couple of years now and I still love it. I find that it runs fantastic anywhere from 225 to 400. I do have a Fireboard though, so that helps. If I snake the charcoal and wood, and run it at 250, I can honestly get about 16-20hrs out of it. My biggest learning curve has been in trying to prevent the run away temps after opening it up to wrap, if I need to. It took me a while to learn how to dial it back a bit and then ease it back up. User ignorance..... I found Rob wonderful to work with.

I hope you enjoy yours just as much as I have enjoyed mine.:rockon:

Attachments

• Cascade 4s.jpg
    Cascade 4s.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 150
  • PXL_20210411_175805846.jpg
    PXL_20210411_175805846.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 155
I hope you enjoy yours just as much as I have enjoyed mine.:rockon:[/QUOTE]

Did you put larger wheels on it ? If so, was there an issue with the original ?

Great choice. I have had mine for over four years now and still love it. Use it all the time.

I smoke most stuff at 275 and 300 for chicken.

I find briquettes run more consistently than lump but both work fine.

I run a FireBoard with a fan to make my life simpler. I set for a temp a bit below my target temp because the FireBoard will overshoot it. Then I will set for my target temp once it gets close.

I haven’t run without the FireBoard since I first got it. It ran fine/stable without it, but I like the control and simplicity the FireBoard added.

What fan do you use with the FireBoard? I have a LavaLock fan setup for my drums that I have been using for the better part of 6 years. I am looking for something that has a high AND a low temperature alarm for my overnight cooks. I've had a couple of unfortunate cooks where the drum ran out of charcoal overnight and I wasn't alarmed the temps started to go down.

I hope you enjoy yours just as much as I have enjoyed mine.:rockon:

Did you put larger wheels on it ? If so, was there an issue with the original ?[/QUOTE]

I didn't request anything special except for all 4 wheels to swivel. It'll live in my garage and doesn't need to go anywhere but just outside the door, so I didn't see a need for bigger wheels.

What fan do you use with the FireBoard? I have a LavaLock fan setup for my drums that I have been using for the better part of 6 years. I am looking for something that has a high AND a low temperature alarm for my overnight cooks. I've had a couple of unfortunate cooks where the drum ran out of charcoal overnight and I wasn't alarmed the temps started to go down.

Fan is from auber instruments. I got an adapter for it to screw on the ball valve intake. I had the fan from a temp controller i bought from them previously.

You can set high and low alarms to your phone with FireBoard.

Back