Gasket Material for Sealing Lower Cabinet Smoker Door

HogFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Wanting to seal the door on the lower end of a cabinet smoker where I access the charcoal basket. This area will not see high heat so I'm more interested in preventing air entering around the perimeter of the cabinet door so only enters the air inlet I use to control temperatures.

Since it doesn't need to withstand high heat like a firebox and is cooler than the smoke chamber above, possibly there are more choices for gasket material.
What gasket would you suggest that is the most air tight?

Appreciate your input.

Impossible to answer without at least a pic of the door and contact surface. You can always window shop at your local home center and wood stove dealer to see the endless number of materials available.

Seal will be placed on the bottom door of a cabinet smoker made of stainless steel. 3/4" width and 0.2" - 0.25" thickness would probably be ideal. Prefer a peel and stick gasket.

Not sure why that info is needed to know what material seals well to prevent air getting sucked into the lower chamber of the cabinet smoker but happy to oblige.

Nomex could be used but is there some type of rubber/latex that would prevent air leaks better? Again, the lower cabinet door will get warm but not hot.

Does dense polyacrylonitrile gasket material seal well and is it safe to use?

Would this silicone P-gasket seal better than Nomex?
img_9129_1.jpg

Has anyone used EPDM rubber as gasket material? I see it's rated for -60F - 250F (or 300F if depending on curing system). Wikipedia says it can be used outdoors for many years or decades without degradation.

Big Green Egg gasket maybe?

LOL...I just looked at the Amazon link, same thing.

Wanting to seal the door on the lower end of a cabinet smoker where I access the charcoal basket. This area will not see high heat so I'm more interested in preventing air entering around the perimeter of the cabinet door so only enters the air inlet I use to control temperatures.

Since it doesn't need to withstand high heat like a firebox and is cooler than the smoke chamber above, possibly there are more choices for gasket material.
What gasket would you suggest that is the most air tight?

Appreciate your input.

So I use to kinds of sealer on my gravity feed. I use some lava lok on my chamber lid as it doesn't see large temps. For my firebox doors I use a rutland flat rope gasket and a rutland high temp sealer. Best wishes

Looks like the LavaLock is made from fiber-wool material. I wonder how well it blocks air flow? Seems anything made with fibers could slowly leak air.

I ordered one gasket made from silicone and another gasket made from EPDM. I'll use the EPDM if it is flexible and fills the gap nicely. Otherwise, I'll try the soft silicone as I want to block all air entering that lower chamber if possible. Valid or not, it's why I didn't use other types of gasket material.

Looks like the LavaLock is made from fiber-wool material. I wonder how well it blocks air flow? Seems anything made with fibers could slowly leak air.

The fibers are so tightly woven I'd seriously doubt air is going to penetrate it unless pressurized. I'm thinking you're overthinking this.

Back