Myron Mixon cookbook brisket

irishboy209

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has tried Myron mixon's brisket recipe from his book? It's hot and fast about 350 degrees for two and a half hours pan foiled and cooked.until point is 205f.

Has anybody tried this hot and fast method are brisket and what are your opinions compared to low and slow

I have tried a hybrid method, if that's what you want to call it. i cook it for the first 2-3 hours hot like 300-325, then finish it up lower at about 200-225. usually works good. i think the most important part of the cook it towards the end when its really breaking down. that's why i slow it down after the 2-3 hour mark.

I would think if the point is 205, the flat would be way overdone.

Let me start out by saying I am not an expert when it comes to cooking briskets. However I do know that when cooking themail internal temp means nothing. You should always check for probe tender at the thickest part of where the point and flat meet. You know it's done when the probe slides in with little resistance...

Cooking around 325-350 is normally how I do it at home and then goes into a pan to finish. So sounds pretty much the same. I put a probe in when I foil and start checking for doneness in the flat around 204-205. There isn't a magical temp that it's done, but definitely a range where you can start checking to help make things easier. I never temp the point.

Brisket can be great cooked low or high.

Interesting that he temps the point. I've never tried that or foiling in a pan. But I'm one that loves my bark.

The point is way more forgiving for proper temp than the flat.

Or course, if you separate them when you fil them like I do a lot of the time, it sure evens out the two cuts of meat.

The point is way more forgiving for proper temp than the flat.

Or course, if you separate them when you fil them like I do a lot of the time, it sure evens out the two cuts of meat.

I hearf the flat dries out more when you cook them separate. Because thr point helps keep the flat moist

I bought his first cookbook. I made the "Best Hamburger In The World" recipe in it and almost threw up in my mouth. I decided Myron is full of it and only good for entertainment value. This clown makes people who take his class sign NDAs. LOL Hes a comedian that likes to talk about BBQ. Im surprised he does not tell people to 3-2-1 their ribs. The dude is a total joke and I would not listen to a word he says unless you just want some entertainment.

Last edited:
I bought his first cookbook. I made the "Best Hamburger In The World" recipe in it and almost threw up in my mouth. I decided Myron is full of it and only good for entertainment value. This clown makes people who take his class sign NDAs. LOL Hes a comedian that likes to talk about BBQ. Im surprised he does not tell people to 3-2-1 their ribs. The dude is a total joke and I would not listen to a word he says unless you just want some entertainment.

This is an exceptionally poor post. I've made those same hamburgers and they're fantastic...what about them almost made you throw up? And what's wrong with having someone sign an NDA...pretty standard practice in a world where people are trying to only allow a select group (ie people who pay for his class) obtain that specific knowledge.

OP, his method for brisket works well. I got his book a bunch of years ago and that was what I used to start learning how to BBQ. I was very skeptical of the "hot and fast" brisket but it dumbed things down a lot and it simply worked. I've gotten much better over the years but I still use the cook open for a few hours and then on a rack in a pan, foiled over for the rest of the cook. It works well and I sell brisket about 3x a week and people go crazy for it. I do a basic beef stock injection and I've got a simple rub that I make which is mostly salt and pepper.

Lots of people on this forum just straight up don't like Myron because they think the personality on TV is how he actually acts in real life. Absolutely not the case and he's actually a nice guy who has helped a lot of people.

If he’s a nice guy in real life then he should win an Oscar for his performances on BBQ Pit Masters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you taken his class? I have, and I tasted everything he cooked. It was phenomenal. Best burnt end I ever put in my mouth, and whole hog meat was insanely good.

The "winningest man in BBQ" doesn't become so by cooking poorly.

You may want to evaluate how you arrive at some of your conclusions based on this example.

This is an exceptionally poor post. I've made those same hamburgers and they're fantastic...what about them almost made you throw up? And what's wrong with having someone sign an NDA...pretty standard practice in a world where people are trying to only allow a select group (ie people who pay for his class) obtain that specific knowledge.

OP, his method for brisket works well. I got his book a bunch of years ago and that was what I used to start learning how to BBQ. I was very skeptical of the "hot and fast" brisket but it dumbed things down a lot and it simply worked. I've gotten much better over the years but I still use the cook open for a few hours and then on a rack in a pan, foiled over for the rest of the cook. It works well and I sell brisket about 3x a week and people go crazy for it. I do a basic beef stock injection and I've got a simple rub that I make which is mostly salt and pepper.

Lots of people on this forum just straight up don't like Myron because they think the personality on TV is how he actually acts in real life. Absolutely not the case and he's actually a nice guy who has helped a lot of people.

I have to say also that his first book was a good one, very good and and it DID help a lot of backyard Joe's and comp cooks raise their game to much higher levels. He's the winningest man in the history of comp bbq and he's a joke and a clown? REALLY? WOW!

BTW Hot N Fast is where its at for sure imo, start hot and slow down towards the end as others have already mentioned too, IT WORKS!

I like Myron as I think he is a marketing expert. Look at how much he has everyone here talking about him. And love him or hate him he clearly wins, and the episodes without him I find frankly boring. That's my personal opinion.

I have his books and have watched all his episodes more times than I can count when he is judging and competing. I have come to believe he purposely changes things up to not give out his secrets. The info in his books on time and temp differ from what he says for time and temp on TV, which in itself varies dramatically from one episode to another. There is never any consistency.

So, although I like Myron, I do find suspect how many different "this is the way I do things" he offerers up that completely contradict his other similar statements.

I like Myron as I think he is a marketing expert. Look at how much he has everyone here talking about him. And love him or hate him he clearly wins, and the episodes without him I find frankly boring. That's my personal opinion.

I have his books and have watched all his episodes more times than I can count when he is judging and competing. I have come to believe he purposely changes things up to not give out his secrets. The info in his books on time and temp differ from what he says for time and temp on TV, which in itself varies dramatically from one episode to another. There is never any consistency.

So, although I like Myron, I do find suspect how many different "this is the way I do things" he offerers up that completely contradict his other similar statements.

BBQ is like anything else and people like to experiment and try new things. He used to use peach wood but has since moved to hickory (according to Tuffy Stone when I took his class last year). He also used to cook at 350° but said he was finding better results lowering his temps down to 275-300°.

Really it just shows that even Myron is still learning new things.

BBQ is like anything else and people like to experiment and try new things. He used to use peach wood but has since moved to hickory (according to Tuffy Stone when I took his class last year). He also used to cook at 350° but said he was finding better results lowering his temps down to 275-300°.

Really it just shows that even Myron is still learning new things.

If you listen closely to him and read his books, he has given at least four different temperatures and times that are different. That is is stark contrast to others. It just looks to me to be more than “I’m still learning”. Just my opinion.

Back