If this is cheating, Char Sui Me!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This only happens maybe once every 2 to 3 years, but with the current throwdown categories, I so able to come up with a cook that provided me with the elusive 3-fer! High on the Hog Pork Tenderloin, Asian BBQ Char Sui cooked on the Redhead Kettle!

I picked this nice package of pork tenderloin up at Costco.

Next, I assembled most of the marinate / Char Sui sauce ingredients.

¼ cup soy sauce (include 2 tbsp. of Dark Soy)
2 tbsp. Honey
2 tbsp. Rice wine (Shaoxing if you have it, otherwise use Miran or dry cooking wine)
2 tbsp. Red yeast rice ground or red fermented tofu and juice (if you can find it, if not use ½ tsp of red food coloring)
1 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
1 tbsp. Oyster sauce
1 tbsp. 5 Spice
1 tbsp. Catsup
1 tbsp. Sugar
1 tbsp. Minced garlic
1 tsp. Sesame oil
1 tsp White pepper

I mixed up the marinate / Char Sui sauce. (Note: I tried hard to find the red yeast rice or red fermented tofu. After visiting 5 local markets, including one Asian, I struck out, so I ended up going with the red food coloring)

I then took the tenderloins out and used my Jaccard on them.

Now I place in a bag and pour a little over half the marinate / Char Sui sauce on them and messaged it in for complete covered.

Place this in the fridge (turning every half hour) and started preparing the balance of the meal. I made up some rice, which I won’t bother showing, and some stir-fry veggies with Black Bean & Garlic sauce.

I now I started a chimney of charcoal. As pork tenderloins are a lean cut of meat, I arranged my baskets so I could include a pan of water to keep them moist.

After the kettle had some time to heat up, I placed the tenderloins in for indirect cooking.

Every 15 minutes I’d brush them with more of the Char Sui sauce

and then flip and do the other side.

After the IT got to 135 (approximately 4 flips) I placed them over the coals to develop some char/crust.

This is also the time I started cooking the veggies in the preheated wok. First some minced garlic in some sesame oil.

Next the carrots

and the Black Bean Garlic sauce.

I stirred that in an let them cook another 30 seconds. Now the broccoli and some water with some corn starch.

After 2 minutes their done.

Now I took the tenderloins inside to cut.

I was worried that these were going to be dry. Nope! There was so much juice it ran off the cutting board. They say to wait 10 minutes before cutting probably for this very reason.

Now I plated everything up and took some pictures. The meat was so tender some of the piece broke apart if I wasn’t careful how I picked them up.

This was Soooooooo tasty and the wife loved it!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
You hit a triple alright, but from the final picture, I'd call it an actual inside the park home run! Your pics and steps, beginning to end, are always top notch. Another great entry!

You really hit a homer with this one, Jeff! We have a pork tenderloin in the freezer, and you've given me the perfect inspiration on how we'll be cooking it!

I'll sui you everyday if that's what it takes to get a plate of awesomeness like that. Killer as always Jeff.

Back