Hanging Spares in the PBC versus Hanging Spares in an UDS

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
One of the selling points of the PBC is that HUNG spares will cook evenly, i.e., the lower end of the spares closest to the fire will not overcook, or burn. The whole spare cooks evenly.

If I HANG spares in an UDS, can I expect the same even cooking from bottom to top, or is there some "magic" with the PBC that the UDS doesn't have?

I don't have a PBC, but I don't see where there would be a difference. After doing a cook without any wood chunks like the PBC is meant to run, I didn't care for just the meat drippings flavor only. So I use a lot of wood chunks mixed in. I've found if a rack is very thin and hanging just a couple inches above a chunk of wood that end might burn. But most do not burn.

The PBC is like a coal fired oven. Set and forget. If you follow their instructions with minimal personal preference variations it will run 265-300 degrees give or take. The size of the barrel the coal basket and the positioning of the rebar (therefore the position of the meat drippings)- same for the grate- you are pretty much assured your dripping will land on the coals- I use a mixture of 25% lump 75% all natural briquettes. And I use wood chunks. I don't use KBB but there are other kings ford products I will use. Stubbs-Trader Joes several good all natural briquettes on the market. You can crack the lid with a paper clip to make it run 40-70 degrees hotter. You can remove a Rebar and plug the holes with foil to make it run a tad cooler. Different set amount of fuel and the position of the coals put off different heat. Different lighting methods can affect heat. Ambient air and humidity can effect heat. I love cooking in freezing wet weather. I do not have a thermometer or any electronics attached. My method cooks chicken halves to 187 in 2-2.5 hours. Spares 4.15-4.45, and baby backs in 3.5 to 3.45. A brisket up to 12-13 pounds will be 160.175 IT in 4 hours. Clockwork.

I don't have a clue about how all the above are arranged in a 55 gallon drum. Maybe none. Maybe a bunch.

One thing you will find out here. Those that know the most about the PBC seem to have never owned and or cooked on one.

Again- I have not and most likely will not ever own a 55 Gallon UDS. I'm an advanced beginner at PBC cooking- I manage to muddle my way thru the cook with a modicum of success.

To your question. The PBC is not magic. It's the first cooker I've had that threw out perfectly cooked meat on a consistent basis. It gave me the confidence to line my patio with other smoker/cookers and have the patience to learn the art of smoking. I've always "cooked out". Now I cook out well, with all my cookers. Serious q-ing for me started with the PBC.
Maybe it is magic.

Last edited:
Yes without the horseshoes the gravitational pull doesn't coalesce with the -,-:~,/~ etc... lol

Seriously OMG there is ZERO difference except more capacity, better temp control and better exhaust on a drum. I'm sure my drum can hang 18 racks and do them as good or better.

So far 26 chicken quarters and three 18 lb turkeys cooked to perfection in the new drum hanging ring and my smaller jumbo mini has done everything great.

Hanging meat on rebar has been done for decades and decades...In fact the guy who started PBC was around some families that normally cooked their meat hanging on rebar in 55 gallon drums. Part of that same family has little restaurants in Hawaii called Chicken In A Barrel. It's nothing new or special from one drum to another although imo more adequate exhaust in a cooker = better taste because your meat isn't getting smothered with charcoal smoke.

All that said If someone doesn't want or can't build something the PBC seems like a great value although I'd probably pop a couple extra holes for better exhaust and maybe try to mod the intake (of course no self respectable PBC owner would EVER do that) :shock: lol This is just me though, I'm always tinkering to make my cookers perform better.

Here's what I mean by more adequate exhaust other than the charcoal smoke just squeezing out where the rebar sits in. These rods just lift out which is pretty nice and handy.

Last edited:
I don't own a UDS but assuming it's put together correctly I don't see why it would cook hung food any differently.

@16Adams, you sure nailed it in your comments didn't you? :wink: :thumb:

The PBC is like a coal fired oven. Set and forget. If you follow their instructions with minimal personal preference variations it will run 265-300 degrees give or take. The size of the barrel the coal basket and the positioning of the rebar (therefore the position of the meat drippings)- same for the grate- you are pretty much assured your dripping will land on the coals- I use a mixture of 25% lump 75% all natural briquettes. And I use wood chunks. I don't use KBB but there are other kings ford products I will use. Stubbs-Trader Joes several good all natural briquettes on the market. You can crack the lid with a paper clip to make it run 40-70 degrees hotter. You can remove a Rebar and plug the holes with foil to make it run a tad cooler. Different set amount of fuel and the position of the coals put off different heat. Different lighting methods can affect heat. Ambient air and humidity can effect heat. I love cooking in freezing wet weather. I do not have a thermometer or any electronics attached. My method cooks chicken halves to 187 in 2-2.5 hours. Spares 4.15-4.45, and baby backs in 3.5 to 3.45. A brisket up to 12-13 pounds will be 160.175 IT in 4 hours. Clockwork.

I don't have a clue about how all the above are arranged in a 55 gallon drum. Maybe none. Maybe a bunch.

One thing you will find out here. Those that know the most about the PBC seem to have never owned and or cooked on one.

Again- I have not and most likely will not ever own a 55 Gallon UDS. I'm an advanced beginner at PBC cooking- I manage to muddle my way thru the cook with a modicum of success.

To your question. The PBC is not magic. It's the first cooker I've had that threw out perfectly cooked meat on a consistent basis. It gave me the confidence to line my patio with other smoker/cookers and have the patience to learn the art of smoking. I've always "cooked out". Now I cook out well, with all my cookers. Serious q-ing for me started with the PBC.
Maybe it is magic.

Natural briquettes and lump are advertised as running hotter than KBB briquettes. You use all natural briquettes with lump instead of KBB and it still maintains the desired temp? How long does it last loaded like that?

Natural briquettes and lump are advertised as running hotter than KBB briquettes. You use all natural briquettes with lump instead of KBB and it still maintains the desired temp? How long does it last loaded like that?

He uses a 25% lump 75% coal mixture. It'll probably run a little hotter but will stay within his desired temp range of 265-300. This is based on how he initially set up his vent cap which is usually not moved once set. Another thing that affects temperature is how the PBC is started.

Call me crazy.... But isn't the pbc just a uds with meat hanging from a rebar?

Call me crazy.... But isn't the pbc just a uds with meat hanging from a rebar?
Here's my take on a comparison.

PBC- smaller and less capacity vs UDS much more especially with 3 rods like with my hanging ring and the UDS has more grill space.

PBC- pre fabbed ready to go (good value) vs UDS you have to do a kit or build yourself

PBC prettier/ new version more durable with the coating and horseshoes! vs UDS is paint or powder coat

UDS better temp control/exhaust vs PBC it's largely fixed with less exhaust space.

PBC is more portable vs UDS is portable but not as easily.

Some make the PBC out to be magical as though it has special powers and capabilities while other owners like Aclarke that are more down to planet Earth although they really love their cooker...which is all good. :becky: The magical special powers PBC owners though are :loco:

With all that said it doesn't have to be a drum to hang things it can be a WSM or something like this smaller cooker I made. Porcelain coating and SS, grills and hangs (has a safety rack below), low to high high heat, easy to refuel. But again not everyone wants to make their own cooker.

Tom (ebijack) made this hanging ring for mine. He does great work!!!

Last edited:
Man asks for a comparison of two specific cookers. UDS and PBC. In rush the highjackers and haters.

Every time.

Disappointing

This is hitting the proverbial nail on the head here :thumb:

Some make the PBC out to be magical as though it has special powers and capabilities while other owners like Aclarke that are more down to planet Earth although they really love their cooker...which is all good. :becky: The magical special powers PBC owners though are :loco:

After all of that though, aren't the pbc, mini pbc, uds, uds/pbc' just in essence a tandoor :becky: Reeaally nothing new. Wait there's a saying for that, "Everything old is new again!" :loco:

Man asks for a comparison of two specific cookers. UDS and PBC. In rush the highjackers and haters.

Every time.

Disappointing

Well, my question was specific with regards to HUNG spares, because of the proximity of that long cut of meat hanging so close to the coals. Fwis and ebijack were the only two who answered my question head on, and then some. No haters that I saw.

Haters? Please!

The point is this isn't the rocketry science that people are lead to believe.

Try it Jim, the worst thing that could happen is you have to cut off and trash the end ribs:thumb:

Haters? Please!

The point is this isn't the rocketry science that people are lead to believe.

Try it Jim, the worst thing that could happen is you have to cut off and trash the end ribs:thumb:

Oh, I intend to. Just bought the drum a couple of days ago, and will be ordering the Big Poppa Kit for Christmas. Now, do I drill holes for two, or three rebar?:decision:

You could always drill for three, if your cooking smaller items you would have room, if your cooking bigger items you could just use the center bar.

Oh, I intend to. Just bought the drum a couple of days ago, and will be ordering the Big Poppa Kit for Christmas. Now, do I drill holes for two, or three rebar?:decision:
I'd think about finding or making a ring so you can lift them out but if you do drill then I'd pick up some cork plugs at Lowes to plug the holes for when not in use so your drum shuts down after a cook.

I've used one of those corks for a probe hole and it works great...won't burn up or anything. lol

3 rods is good because you'll have the space for big cooks... they've came in very handy for me!

I'd think about finding or making a ring so you can lift them out but if you do drill then I'd pick up some cork plugs at Lowes to plug the holes for when not in use so your drum shuts down after a cook.

I've used one of those corks for a probe hole and it works great...won't burn up or anything. lol

3 rods is good because you'll have the space for big cooks... they've came in very handy for me!

Not sure where I'd ever source a steel band like you have. May just have to drill straight through the drum.

Back