Hanging Spares in the PBC versus Hanging Spares in an UDS

Quick question for y'all. When I google "ugly drum smoker" the instructions say use a 55 Gallon drum only-right?? And by definition well-Ugly. So basically if it's a smaller barrel y'all are reinventing or re-engineering the WSM and Pit Barrel Cooker and the other cookers less than 55 gallon drums.

It Is interesting to read- and I admire you're imagination and skills AND TIME---if you don't work three jobs for a living to copy the results of The Pit Barrel Cooker and smaller drums that cook quite well. I've never burned a rib tip. Just drop to the fourth instead of the second rib to insert hook. If it's a five foot long rack of ribs- cut it in half- I've never done that, as smaller length spares and backs are easily obtained at the point of sale.

pitbarrelcooker.com

299 free shipping

Last edited:
Adams what is comical is how you say "copy the pit barrel" is that the pit barrel was actually copied by Noah from a "ugly" 55 gallon drum to begin with. As a previos poster noted what is old is new again.

Some like to make their own cookers, mine less the powder coat was less than $200, is a great large 22.5" grill sear machine, 2 level smoker, adapted to hang more than you could hang in 2 pit barrels....great temp control and shuts down quickly without magnets covering holes etc.... Point is some us us like our cookers and it seems like you're calling us stupid for not buying a 30 gallon reinvented meat hanging uds called a pit barrel.

Oh and some of ours have thermometers although I'm sure with your paperclip you can tell what and adjust how the pit barrel cooks. :razz: Those of us that make our own cookers are well aware we can buy the 30 gallon pbc for $299 :thumb:

Are there meat hanging snobs amoung us? :noidea: Is their meat better tasting because it come out of a prettier container?

Last edited:
Adams what is comical is how you say "copy the pit barrel" is that the pit barrel was actually copied by Noah from a "ugly" 55 gallon drum to begin with. As a previos poster noted what is old is new again.

I know- I've read the history. I've been an owner of The Pit Barrel Cooker long before you joined this board. I was speaking to the definition of the Ugly Drum Smoker. Basic-simple-55 gallon drum- and well Ugly. Not the beautiful cooking machine available at pitbarrelcooker.com 299$ free shipping

I really do admire y'all's engenineering to obtain a result, I just prefer to buy new, not build- while staying out of the ER.

I gotta get to work. If you throw a cheap shot wait till after 8pm so I can return favor in a timely manner.

Smoke on brothers- it's all good in pecan smoke

Thank goodness the brand new barrel uds owners are safe and the used drum folks stayed out of the ER :shock:

Where is it again we can get those safe new fangled drum hangers again?

I wonder if you would have made fun of Noah back in the day when he was eating chicken n ribs from his neighborhood friends out of those nasty big original 55 gallon drums?

Last edited:
I know- I've read the history. I've been an owner of The Pit Barrel Cooker long before you joined this board. I was speaking to the definition of the Ugly Drum Smoker. Basic-simple-55 gallon drum- and well Ugly. Not the beautiful cooking machine available at pitbarrelcooker.com 299$ free shipping

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would pay $299 for a uds with rebar, free shipping or not...

I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would pay $299 for a uds with rebar, free shipping or not...

I realize some people are flat out too intimidated or unsure how to go about it so they'd rather buy the shiny toy....definitely get all that. It's one thing to say "Hey I love my shiny cooker and love the horseshoes" but performance to me and my needs is another thing. Personally I want and have cookers that I can control the temp better ( example I like hanging butts in the 425-450* area), can grill/sear better, and have more adequate exhaust.

... I just don't telling me or insinuating that I can't turn out as good or better food with my self fabricated cookers.

Oh also the insinuation that a used drum will poison you as was stated earlier with the emergency room crack is laughable. My jumbo mini is al from new parts but my UDS was a used drum with a petroleum product. Burning out the drum, cleaning and seasoning it is as safe as any brand spanking new drum. It's almost like some don't want anyone to build a UDS so those people can join their cult. lol

Oh sure, if that's what you want to do buy all means knock yourself out, but like you, I see no reason to tell someone their cooker is inferior when it's the same thing sans the manufacturers tag.

Oh sure, if that's what you want to do buy all means knock yourself out, but like you, I see no reason to tell someone their cooker is inferior when it's the same thing sans the manufacturers tag.
Did you mod or make your UDS to hang yet?

No Sir, don't even have a uds, I smoke on an original Oklahoma Joe (1/4" wall, not the thin wall), I've got a UDS in the works but I really see no reason to hang the meat, however to each thier own. The only reason I got in this thread was because the OP bought into the line that "if it aint a pbc, ya ain't cookin' right!" Oh horse$:7>! I think a lot of the attitude comes from people spending a ton of money on cookers and then having buyers remorse because they see people cranking out amazing food on a used oil drum. To defend their poor decision, they attack those that don't have the same type of cooker. Let's face it, at this point they are all wood fired ovens unless your cooking on an open pit. With the temp controllers and the thermometers in the meat and in the cook chamber, the true art of BBQ has about been lost. This smoker thing has been waaaay overthought and waaaaaay over complicated by people who have nothing better to do with their lives than argue over which cooker makes "reeeeal" BBQ." If your after "real" BBQ you really ought to be cooking like this!

(This is my favorite old barbecue pic by the way)

People were smoking meat long before steel was even invented! There's even a thread going in another part of the interweb that says the Feldon calculator is wrong because it doesn't take into account the added square inches of the domed ends of a propane tank... REALLY?

It's not about the "cooker" it's about the cook (I know, old news!) However, it's true! I'll bet you there are people that would taste the food off of an open pit (not knowing how it was cooked) and want to know what kind of cooker it was cooked in and be standing in line with a fist full of hundreds waiting to buy it so they could impress their friends and win the next BBQ competition (which isn't "real" BBQ by the way), not knowing that all it took was a shovel and the knowledge to cook...

Ok rant off, as you were...

So OP, what did you decide?

No Sir, don't even have a uds, I smoke on an original Oklahoma Joe (1/4" wall, not the thin wall), I've got a UDS in the works but I really see no reason to hang the meat, however to each thier own. The only reason I got in this thread was because the OP bought into the line that "if it aint a pbc, ya ain't cookin' right!" Oh horse$:7>! I think a lot of the attitude comes from people spending a ton of money on cookers and then having buyers remorse because they see people cranking out amazing food on a used oil drum. To defend their poor decision, they attack those that don't have the same type of cooker. Let's face it, at this point they are all wood fired ovens unless your cooking on an open pit. With the temp controllers and the thermometers in the meat and in the cook chamber, the true art of BBQ has about been lost. This smoker thing has been waaaay overthought and waaaaaay over complicated by people who have nothing better to do with their lives than argue over which cooker makes "reeeeal" BBQ." If your after "real" BBQ you really ought to be cooking like this!

(This is my favorite old barbecue pic by the way)

People were smoking meat long before steel was even invented! There's even a thread going in another part of the interweb that says the Feldon calculator is wrong because it doesn't take into account the added square inches of the domed ends of a propane tank... REALLY?

It's not about the "cooker" it's about the cook (I know, old news!) However, it's true! I'll bet you there are people that would taste the food off of an open pit (not knowing how it was cooked) and want to know what kind of cooker it was cooked in and be standing in line with a fist full of hundreds waiting to buy it so they could impress their friends and win the next BBQ competition (which isn't "real" BBQ by the way), not knowing that all it took was a shovel and the knowledge to cook...

Ok rant off, as you were...

So OP, what did you decide?
Oh I got something i wanna show you then! I whole heatedly agree with on the lost art.

Good lord people get butthurt over petty stuff. Who cares if I want to spend $299 on a PBC instead of building a uds? And who cares if Noah got the idea from the uds or wherever? The fact is you can get fantastic bbq from both. Your preference is your preference. If you wanna build one, go for it. If not, buy a PBC. Either way, it's not worth crapping up a thread that is supposed to be informative, or a thread showing appreciation for EITHER unit.

Back