THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DFoster

Knows what a fatty is.
Trying to decide how to have my door located on the firebox. Below are the two options I am looking at. The door that is flush with the bottom of the firebox will be easier to clean out, but probably make more of a mess. While the door that is in the middle of the firebox will keep any ash from unintentionally falling out, it will be harder to clean out. Any other pro’s and con’s to these doors?

EB7C8F9C-110A-4259-8A24-CD13A1B3D699.jpg

6D2C6633-ECBE-495A-9B1F-0D934592C90F.jpg

Make it flush with the bottom. Easy to brush out the ashes. You gotta scoop them out if there is a lip. If ashes fall out when the door is closed then you have a seriously deformed firebox.

You need to clean out ashes after every cook- might as well make it easy.
I'm voting "Flush"

The other will work too. Just need a small shovel and a wet vac (cool ashes are a given)

Make it flush with the bottom. Easy to brush out the ashes. You gotta scoop them out if there is a lip. If ashes fall out when the door is closed then you have a seriously deformed firebox.

I am thinking more along the lines of ashes getting blown out if I get a sudden wind during the cook or is that not even an issue to worry about?

Build the fire grate with a small lip. Something like 1" angle. Where the expanded metal sits down inside the frame. Ashes stay put. Remove the grate and enjoy the ease of clean out with the flush door.

My .02

Back